HK1 box LAN 100 (s905x3) latest releases with kernel 6.1 does not start from SD card

Energokom

The latest releases of armbian 23.01 with kernel 6.1 do not run from SD cards on the HK1 box S903x5. If I use USB flash, armbian starts.

At the same time, old releases of armbian with kernel 5.9 from balbes150 run from SD cards - but the image with a green background. If you rename U-boot.usb to -boot.ext on the old release 20.10, then USB flash starts and the screen color is normal.

Renamed u-boot-s905x2-s922.bin in u-boot.ext - does not help. I've tried a lot of u-boot.bin to try to boot from the SD card. (there is no suitable one).

Tell me, please :   how to build U-boot_HK1.bin with the correct parameters for HK1 box s905x3 - what would boot from an SD card? I want to learn how to do it myself.

Foto boardHK1 box s905x3

Edited by Energokom

• Energokom changed the title to HK1 box LAN 100 (s905x3) latest releases with kernel 6.1 does not start from SD card

@Energokom  Thank you for your contributions to the forum and welcome.  I appreciate your comments and apparent knowledge.

As for your question, I am going to direct you to this thread: 

I have been planning on getting this documented better as it is a bit complex sorting through hexdump's source code and notes, but the information is all there.  I think you have the skills to sort it out.

I inherited the existing u-boot-* files as binary blobs.  It really bothers me to be including these in the builds without source code and instructions on how to recreate them.  That is one of my next tasks on the aml-s9xx-box build is to make that better.  So I have spent some time with hexdump's code rebuilding what is currently shipped, but I haven't really moved forward from there yet.

i fixed meson-sm1-hk1box-vontar-x3.dtb for hk1box-LAN100m

I'm cleaning up the ethernet@ff3f0000 - everything related to the  external chip:

ethernet@ff3f0000 {
compatible = "amlogic,meson-g12a-dwmac\0snps,dwmac-3.70a\0snps,dwmac";
reg = <0x00 0xff3f0000 0x00 0x10000 0x00 0xff634540 0x00 0x08>;
interrupts = <0x00 0x08 0x04>;
interrupt-names = "macirq";
clocks = <0x02 0x26 0x02 0x02 0x02 0x0d 0x02 0x02>;
clock-names = "stmmaceth\0clkin0\0clkin1\0timing-adjustment";
rx-fifo-depth = <0x1000>;
tx-fifo-depth = <0x800>;
status = "okay";
power-domains = <0x03 0x06>;
pinctrl-0 = <0x11 0x12>;
pinctrl-names = "default";
phy-handle = <0xe4>; #(there was a link at <0x13> to the external chip)
phy-mode = "rmii"; # I remove the letter "g" since we have 100 M/s
nvmem-cells = <0x14>;
nvmem-cell-names = "eth_mac";
phandle = <0x5f>;

mdio {
#address-cells = <0x01>;
#size-cells = <0x00>;
compatible = "snps,dwmac-mdio";
phandle = <0x1d>;
};
};

Here we also remove the  external ethernet chip

mdio@0 {
reg = <0x00>;
#address-cells = <0x01>;
#size-cells = <0x00>;
phandle = <0xe2>;

#ethernet-phy@0 {
# reg = <0x00>;
# max-speed = <0x3e8>;
# reset-assert-us = <0x7530>;
#reset-deassert-us = <0x13880>;
#reset-gpios = <0x1e 0x0f 0x07>;
#interrupt-parent = <0x1f>;
#interrupts = <0x1a 0x08>;
#phandle = <0x13>; - In the code above there was a link to here to the external chip ethernet
#};  
};

mdio@1 {
reg = <0x01>;
#address-cells = <0x01>;
#size-cells = <0x00>;
phandle = <0xe3>;

ethernet_phy@8 {
compatible = "ethernet-phy-id0180.3301\0ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22";
interrupts = <0x00 0x09 0x04>;
reg = <0x08>;
max-speed = <0x64>;
phandle = <0xe4>; - # in the code above, I changed the link to this part internal ethernet
};
};

You can check my DTB and add for HK1box-LAN100m to the armbian build

meson-sm1-hk1box.dtb.zip

Edited by Energokom

On 1/20/2023 at 7:18 PM, Energokom said:

You can check my DTB and add for HK1box-LAN100m to the armbian build

Please provide a dts so that it could be incorporated.  Having the built binary isn't useful, need the source file.

3 minutes ago, МИХАИЛ said:

Which armbian desktop version should I download

Where are you looking?  I only see one desktop build - xfce (although a Debian version and an Ubuntu version).

6 minutes ago, МИХАИЛ said:

which dtb should I use?

You probably would be best suited using the dtb from this thread.  Otherwise the instructions say to try them all and see which works best (note that s905x3 is meson-sm1).

I do not know, my  HK1box-LAN100m.dtb has been included in the new armbian builds.

If there is no my dtb, then you can use meson-sm1-tx3-bz.dtb or meson-sm1-x96-air.dtb

So that the multiloader finds u-boot on emmc, you may have to flash the stock android firmware to a later one

Or use this option: rename u-boot-tx3-bz.bin to u-boot.ext (But when you turn on the TV Box, there will be a colored grid, then an orange background and only then a normal black background and loading)

The problem is that there is no u-boot.bin for our TV box, which would allow you to boot normally from an SD card. It's best to fix u-boot-tx3-bz.bin

I found a solution for myself, built the kernel on 5.15.89 and used the old rootfs armbian desktop

And armbian desktop it works load with my SD card, as well as wi-fi and bluetooth, everything suits me, so I stopped working on creating u-boot.bin

Edited by Energokom