How to recompile kernel for RBD support

nickdude22

Hello, 

I'm planning on running a k3s cluster with Rook storage with a few of the Orange Pi 5 that I got. A prerequisite for rook however is RBD module.

I've been able to recompile the kernel including RBD support, however I've been unable to get the device to boot from the new kernel. Rebooting after kernel has been built and installed still reports Linux 5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588.

Any help would be appreciated. I've since wiped the boxes clean and have a fresh install booting from SSD with the OS installed on the NVMe attached so I will be able to provide any information required.

Thanks! 

@nickdude22Enabling the modules in the provided kernel should be good enough for me too. I wish this uboot step was more clearly detailed in OPI's documentation or howtos. I have only found references to compiling Android 12 in their provided user manual and their forum is just a truckload of spam. Wrote an email to them, never got a response.

In the end I followed Igor's advice and just boot a complete Armbian image using an Ubuntu 22.04 compilation VM. The only thing you have to do is ensure you check the "custom kernel configuration" during the compile.sh run and mark the appropriate modules to be build.