MediaTek MT7612U driver in current jammy image

OttawaHacker
Go to solution Solved by royk,

I know this driver should be part of the recent kernel releases (and definitely avail for 5.10) but I am not sure how/why/where this driver would be in the armbian release. I also did install the firmware files but I don't see the module in the /usr/lib/module section. Any suggestions to build or enable this driver?

Thanks

2 hours ago, royk said:

Build the kernel with the MT76x2U driver, it's disabled by default.

Ah thank you - so I started looking into the build. My understanding is that the armbian build generates a new custom image. The tool is quite amazing and straightforward but few questions:

- For any updates, would I need to re-build and re-install a new image?

- Is there a way I could update my current build using a generated image?

• Solution

You could install the kernel from the debs folder, output/debs/linux-image... Mr Hacker😀

When you update the kernel from the apt repository you will loose the WiFi driver again. 

To build only the kernel as in the manual: ./compile.sh BUILD_ONLY=kernel KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes BOARD=orangepi5 BRANCH=legacy

On 1/20/2023 at 1:31 PM, royk said:

To build only the kernel as in the manual: ./compile.sh BUILD_ONLY=kernel KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes BOARD=orangepi5 BRANCH=legacy

Thank you!! I rebuilt the whole image - I can't believe how easy the armbian build system is. Couple questions:

1) Any particular reason many modules are completly disabled from kernel?

2) Would it be worth doing a PR to build the MediaTek drivers as modules?

1 hour ago, OttawaHacker said:

1) Any particular reason many modules are completly disabled from kernel?

No reason. In this particular case however it might been the influence of the BSP.

1 hour ago, OttawaHacker said:

2) Would it be worth doing a PR to build the MediaTek drivers as modules?

Well there is no warranty that it gets accepted, however if it is well documented and enabled across all configurations so people/maintainer have a chance to test I don't see a reason against.

11 hours ago, Werner said:

Well there is no warranty that it gets accepted, however if it is well documented and enabled across all configurations so people/maintainer have a chance to test I don't see a reason against.

PR was accepted 🙂 so for anyone stumbling on this issue - it should be something of the past

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4727

Edited by OttawaHacker

I unfrozed kernel on Armbian Config, then i write uname -r and saw i have 5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 kernel.

Then i apt-cache show linux-image*rk3588 and checked the newest kernel is linux-6.2.0-rc2-rockchip-rk3588.

But as far as i know linux, i dont know how to update kernel. Can you give me some directions please @Efe Çetin

2 minutes ago, Vybearz said:

Can you give me some directions please

All you need to do is unfreeze and enable nightly in armbian-config. Enable nightly will run all the apt updates for you. This should update you to 

5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 #trunk.0211 SMP Sat Jan 28 03:01:04 UTC 2023 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linu

which has a bunch of USB modules enabled

Edited by OttawaHacker