LIRC module on current OPI5 configuration

OttawaHacker

There is by default a Rockchip IR receiver module installed, but seems only to work with with the remote codes hardcoded in the module, just had a quick test that didn't work: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=44671

LIRC would be a better option indeed and you can find it under "Device drivers" --> Remote controller support. When you enable the driver you'll get more options, probably you would need "GPIO IR remote control" and the right decoder for your remote.

There should also be made a dtb overlay, here they made it work for the Odroid m1: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?p=350183#p350183

I'm going to try this python project instead https://pypi.org/project/PiIR/ and see if I can re-use my LIRC configuration somehow.

I really can't figure out why LIRC and all these IR systems are so complex and require a kernel module... Sending the IR stuff is just sending pulses on a LED - should only just require GPIO permissions. 

The IR option doesn't seem to be available yet on the Orange Pi 5 images - somehow that hardware menu is not in the armbian-config yet. 

True I can't understand that either, would think that installing LIRC and pointing it to the the right gpio pin should be enough. Perhaps because of the way it is built-in.

Nice project, would like to know if you could make it work. I think I'll look into the LIRC option next weekend.

I'm using the Armbian image with opi5 config and the options are really there, but you could easily read over it. I thought Device drivers is one of the latest options and then somewhere in the middle Remote controller support.

It could be that it's because I'd enabled some media support options for my dvb tuner

Edit: sorry I misread your comment, I thought you ment the options of the kernel config .

Edited by royk

58 minutes ago, royk said:

I'm using the Armbian image with opi5 config and the options are really there, but you could easily read over it. I thought Device drivers is one of the latest options and then somewhere in the middle Remote controller support.

It could be that it's because I'd enabled some media support options for my dvb tuner

I did build my own image and there are definitely some odd differences... like the boot partition on my custom image is fat vs on the official image it is ext4. Wouldn't be surprised that this is the cause

image.png.f3c539f88a31e577055afc53214c5da4.png

image.png.6856ca59f41771b2ac85deec7eec5ea6.png

4 hours ago, OttawaHacker said:

like the boot partition on my custom image is fat vs on the official image it is ext4.

Not sure but I think there were some very recent changes about this pushed to master (?). Maybe check against trunk images? (https://github.com/armbian/build/releases/download/23.02.0-trunk.0191/Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0191_Orangepi5_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_minimal.img.xz)

Regardless, all pre-built downloadable images from Armbian are built using the same build script as it is available on Github. Just with a bunch of - partially undocumented - switches that allow better automation and build distribution in that matter.