Lack of Bluetooth support on rock 4 c+

vskho

Hello community,

I am running Armbian taken from here on Radxa Rock 4c+. Everything I need seems to be in order (including wifi) but there appears to be no bluetooth device present (it is there using Radxa's images which have old kernels though).

I tried to find out what could be the reason and noticed that dtb coming with Radxa has this:

wireless-bluetooth {

uart0-gpios {
				rockchip,pins = <0x02 0x13 0x00 0xd0>;
				phandle = <0xf1>;
			};
		};

in pincntrl section and few other bluetooth/uart related bits while one coming with Armbian does not.

I am not sure if this is the root cause and what the easiest way to fix it. I would appreciate any pointers on how to make bluetooth work.

Thanks

Edited by Vskho

Just to leave a note for someone who would come across

As I suspected, the issue was in device tree configuration. I checked DTS files for the rock 4c+ in the corresponding release tag of the mainline kernel source (6.1 in my case), and saw that it had bluetooth config present, similar to Radxa's own kernels. I could not find where does Armbian take their DTSes from.

Anyway, things I did:

1. Followed regular steps for building the kernel. To be safe, I went with version of the sources as close to the running kernel version as possible.
  2. Built just device tree blobs with `make dbts` in the root of sources.
  3. Copied over the generated file (arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3399-rock-4c-plus.dtb) to /boot/dtbs
  4. Updated `/boot/armbianEnv.txt` to point `fdtfile` the blob I just put there.
  5. Reboot!

After this I immediately got bluetooth and sound working, I do not experience any issues with BT keyboard connectivity/speed (as I used to with official legacy 4.4 kernel).

P.S.: there are though some things that got broken because of the update. Particularly, I cannot seem to be able to enable the thermal sensor ADC anymore, although, it works fine with DTB shipped by default.

Edited by Vskho

You`re running Kernel 6.1 ?
Did you guys made any changes for the GPU/Driver/Resolution ?
only with a forced resolution in the armbianenv I got videoutput in the CLI & bootime but as soon the xserver started I got no more video output or I got broken output :-S

with kernel 5 I also got a BT issue & I also guess there is an issue with DTB, btw. GPU is disabled by default but easy to fix in the decompiled DTS file.

unfortunately I couldn't follow these steps ...., but does make dtbs the same than compling a DTS to DTB ?
Did you use any specific dts ?

I'm a bit confused because I tried every DTS /DTB I found....

@krankes_etwas, yes, I am on 6.1.11 at the moment with DTB compiled from the master branch of linux kernel.

I did not do anything specific with the resolution/graphics, it worked out of box for me.

As far as I know, `make dtbs` compiles dtc and builds dts to dtbs with it.

@Roman Khudobei I think I have the same, however, I've got sound through HDMI screen, that's the only ALSA source pulseaudio displays. Built-in audiojack does not work.

1 source(s) available.
  * index: 0
	name: <alsa_output.platform-hdmi-sound.stereo-fallback.monitor>
	driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
	flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
	state: SUSPENDED
	suspend cause: IDLE
	priority: 1000
	volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	        balance 0.00
	base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 0.00 ms
	max rewind: 0 KiB
	sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
	channel map: front-left,front-right
	             Stereo
	used by: 0
	linked by: 0
	configured latency: 0.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 2000.00 ms