How often are new ODROID M1 builds generated? - NVME install fix

pixdrift

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, so apologies if the questions are answered elsewhere, but please redirect me if they are.

I have identified a bug in the `armbian-install` script in the current Bullseye Edge image (Dec 19,2022)  that prevents it showing NVMe targets in the installation prompt if they don't have a valid filesystem on them.

This appears to have been fixed on the 19th of December in this commit (the grep for filesystems was removed from the lsblk command that returns valid partitions).
https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/893ed2347d97af574becf69dee1166a1bf933081#diff-8752ea87e0340f217187b70f7b08735d872a14c0467d02a6285222e594db3299L635-R635

I am not sure if it's a coincidence that these are the same date, but the Bullseye image downloaded today still has the older version of the script that includes the 'grep' for filesystems.

I have a workaround for my immediate issue (mkfs.ext4 on the NVMe partition so the installer detects it), but thought this may be impacting other users of Odroid M1 as they are likely installing on the NVMe.

If I need to raise this elsewhere, eg. github issue etc. please let me know the process.

Thanks!

Edited by pixdrift

On 1/29/2023 at 4:23 AM, pixdrift said:

If I need to raise this elsewhere, eg. github issue etc. please let me know the process.

Raising issues is reserved for project contributors that are planning to work on issues. End users can't raise issues to maintainers. They spot a problem on forum and open a task. Or not. This is amateur development. We use ticketing system to tell you what we did https://docs.armbian.com/Release_Changelog/ in hope that someone will notice our efforts.

To clarify few things: stable images are generated every three months. Stabilisation is extremely expensive and nobody else is providing that service. Little above 0% is compensated by "you" and cold 0% by HW vendor. It seems everyone is happy if images are just built and provided for download. To satisfy this need, we are generating rolling releases, every week all boards, supported or not supported, gets their images with latest code. This costs us perhaps few hundred per month, while providing stable images costs 1000 x more as includes manual and automated testing, fixing problems, testing, fixing, writing documentation, coordination ... For most interesting and WIP devices, we also provide images per code change. This system is maintained by team private resources and with help of unselfish community actors, partners.