Odroid WIFI module not working with Odroid C4 and Jammy

Go to solution Solved by Igor,

Hello to all,
As I am a beginner, I apologize in advance, if I am asking questions, which are obvious for experienced users...

I am trying to get WIFI working with this hardware:
Odroid C4  and Odroid WIFI module #5B Realtek RTL8821CU chipset ( USB ID = 0BDA:C820, Initial CDROM mode = 0BDA:1A2B )

With the original image of Hardkernel the WIFI was working fine.

Then I built this latest armbian image: Armbian_23.02.0-trunk_Odroidc4_jammy_current_6.1.8_xfce_desktop.img
The build I did with this configuration:
./compile.sh  BOARD=odroidc4 BRANCH=current RELEASE=jammy BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=yes BUILD_ONLY=default KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no DESKTOP_ENVIRONMENT=xfce DESKTOP_ENVIRONMENT_CONFIG_NAME=config_base DESKTOP_APPGROUPS_SELECTED="browsers desktop_tools editors internet multimedia programming remote_desktop" COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=sha,gpg,img

When I run armbian-config the WIFI Option is not presented in the Network menu.
I have read in the forum regarding the Orange PI that armbian jammy might have a problem with WIFI in general?

I would be just happy if anybody could tell me if this is indeed a known problem?
Maybe there is simple solution?
Or if it is difficult in which direction do I have to go with further inverstigation?

I also did armbianmonitor -u because I read about this in the forum, here is the result:
https://paste.armbian.com/inacugoket

Thanks a lot for any help in advance

Andy

• Solution
27 minutes ago, andi61 said:

With the original image of Hardkernel

You can build legacy kernel image with the same old kernel and if you stay with old private kernel 4.9.y, it will work. Everything else (modern true Linux mainstream kernel) is problematic as drivers needs constant adjustments when kernel versions goes up. We have a lot of expenses doing that ... https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_FAQ/

This is not Armbian versus Hardkernel but fixed private kernel provided by chip maker that was adopted and used by Hardkernel to be able to sell hardware vs. clean and professionally maintained Linux kernel code. Quick info: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_FAQ/#why-does-hardware-feature-xy-work-in-old-kernel-but-not-in-more-recent-one

27 minutes ago, andi61 said:

When I run armbian-config the WIFI Option is not presented in the Network menu.

This is just a top level tool. If driver doesn't work, it won't show anything here.

Your wifi key is recognised as a block device.

[    3.675154] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 5 using xhci-hcd
[    3.823456] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=1a2b, bcdDevice= 2.00
[    3.823475] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[    3.823480] usb 1-1.3: Product: DISK
[    3.823484] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Realtek
[    3.824227] usb-storage 1-1.3:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[    3.824541] scsi host0: usb-storage 1-1.3:1.0

Why:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wifi+driver+is+recognized+as+cdrom

6 minutes ago, andi61 said:

even though I have to work with a legacy kernel.

This is not a very long term solution as this kernel is (more) security hazardous, contain bad code and is only maintained by Hardkernel. We want to get rid of it as soon as possible. In fact we already did - we don't promote it anymore, but one can still build an image with. Fixing WiFi (your initial problem) is super super tiny compared to all problems that comes with legacy kernel and will never be fixed vs. modern kernel.

Its always a trade.

59 minutes ago, andi61 said:

Meanwhile I read this: https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi

That is a great resource regarding wireless modules.

59 minutes ago, andi61 said:

So I am looking for single state WIFI modules whose drivers are bulit in the kernel now.

This is not that easy as drivers build into the kernel can still have such problems. In fact, those drivers are build into, just by Armbian. TBH i didn't look closely enough to see which drivers are actually in use. It is also possible to have different drivers for the same device and then you block one or another.

1 hour ago, andi61 said:

hapen at the beginning

Where is "at the end" ? :) I am exploring Unix / Linux systems and hardware for 30 years. And the more you know, the more you are aware how little that is.

There are many things that can go wrong. Stay open minded.

Concerning the WIFI issue I got a single state module now:

Realtek RTL8188ETV Wireless LAN 802.11n Network Adapter
The loaded driver is: r8188eu

--> Everything works great now!
However the download speed on the OdroidC4 is slower than the upload speed:
Download: 17Mbit/s
Upload: 21MBit/s

Same module, same network on my PC:
Download: 30MBit/s
Upload: 21MBit/s

For the time being, I am happy that it works. But I would appreciate any hint for the slow download speed, to adress the problem later...

Andy