Booted Armbian on MXQ Pro 4K S905 GXBB P201, now I cant boot anything else

ochentay4

Hello! I recently started to play with this box and couldnt boot anything at all, as if reset button on AV port didnt work. So I downloaded terminal app for android and typed "reboot update" as suggested here https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/4076-mxq-box-won-t-boot-into-sd-card-le-or-recovery/?postID=29844#post29844 (toothpick method doesnt work at all), and managed to enter recovery, so then I put ARMBIAN on SD and did "reboot update" from Android and booted Armbian. It worked fine...

Until I wanted to try LibreELEC or EmuELEC and now the box doesnt boot Android (stuck at MXQ 4K Pro logo) and wont boot anything on SD as LibreELEC, EmuELEC, it only boots Armbian images. I can't even flash any IMG with Amlogic Burn Tool as device never enters flash/recovery mode with toothpick, so I think the only chance is to do something inside Armbian. I suspect recovery on this box is somewhat flawed, it seems to be "stuck" on "update mode", so all I can think is a TWRP compatible recovery flash from within Armbian, or any other recovery that works, so I can go back to Android or try EmuELEC.

Device is OTT MXQ Pro 4K, AML S905 1GB ROM 8GB RAM, Realtek Wifi, GXBB P201, it uses "hugsun_s905_mxq_20160304.img" Android. Armbian works fine, nothing else boots.

image.thumb.png.8a6bb7f9feef625f0cff6ce133c187c1.png 

image.png

image.png

Edited by ochentay4

• ochentay4 changed the title to Booted Armbian on MXQ Pro 4K S905 GXBB P201, now I cant boot anything else

This is expected behavior.  Each distribution is modifying the boot environment in different incompatible ways.  That is why the install instructions (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/17106-installation-instructions-for-tv-boxes-with-amlogic-cpus) say if you have tried to install other distributions, you will need to restore to a clean android firmware before installing armbian.

@SteeManthanks for the answer! now, how can I restore original android if I can't put the box in recovery mode using toothpick method? Can I do it from Armbian? Is there any command to run to do it? I can't seem to put the box on any recovery mode so Amlogic USB Burning Tool can't detect it (I already used it and have experience using it on my S802 box). Device isnt shown on windows and I'm using a USB-A to USB-A cable that is proven to work with my other RK3229 box.

recovery mode has nothing to do with using the amlogic usb burning tool.  Have you tried different usb ports?  Also, I've had some boards only work with specific versions of the amlogic usb burning tool. 

@SteeMan It has been IMPOSSIBLE to reflash this box. The only thing I could do is to get it detected using Amlogic USB Burning Tool when making a short on nand (took multiple tries but got it sorted out), but it stops 30 seconds in with this error:

[0x10105002]Romcode/Initialize DDR/Read initialize status/USB Control setup error

Tried multiple versions of the tool (with newer and older drivers of woldcup bla bla), multiple firmwares like hugsun_s905_mxq_20160304.img (I think this is the original one), and MXQ_PRO_4K_p201_android_TV_by_cOOLio_V2.5_MEE.img (this is supposed to work with this box as its for p201 boards), and also tried to start the flashing process before connecting the device, all failed attempts, all end with same error.

Armbian still works fine.

Isnt there any way of reflashing this box from within Armbian itself? Want to use EmuELEC or Batocera, thats my only wish!

EDIT: tried an old Win7 pc, worked at first try. God damn Win11.

Edited by ochentay4

9 hours ago, ochentay4 said:

EDIT: tried an old Win7 pc, worked at first try. God damn Win11.

This is good to know.  I'm only starting to upgrade to Win11, so I haven't run into this yet.  But I can pass this advice on to others.