Armbian with OrangePi PC plus on eMMC?

Christos

Don't know about OPi PC+, but this is how I installed Armbian on my OPi+ eMMC http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/2125-armbian-for-orange-pi-does-not-boot/

Maybe your OPi can boot Armbian off a SDcard and then flash eMMC, that would be easier, but I don't know about that.

Thanks for pointing this.

Yet, did not quite understood what you were doing there to be honest. How did you write to eMMC? with what command?

In any case, it looks quite accidental and not clear.

I'm interested if Armbian has a formal or a real tested way of writing firmware image to eMMC.

Thanks for pointing this.

Yet, did not quite understood what you were doing there to be honest. How did you write to eMMC? with what command?

In any case, it looks quite accidental and not clear.

I downloaded an orangepi.org image, flashed it to SDcard, booted it, login from serial console, and then I flashed an Armbian image directly to OPi+ eMMC

# dd if=<armbian.img> of=/dev/mmcblkX

I had the Armbian image on another USB thumb drive, and OPi+ has a lot of USB ports.

I downloaded an orangepi.org image, flashed it to SDcard, booted it, login from serial console, and then I flashed an Armbian image directly to OPi+ eMMC

# dd if=<armbian.img> of=/dev/mmcblkX

I had the Armbian image on another USB thumb drive, and OPi+ has a lot of USB ports.

For OPiPCplus there are only two Orange-images and the only that easy to login is Lubuntu, though I didnt try it yet.

OPiPCplus comes pre-installed on eMMC with android.

So, in Armbian is still pending to get a OrangePi eMMC flashing image method?

What about checking official documentation, especially "getting started" section?

http://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-install-to-emmc-nand-sata-usb

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll give it a try as soon as my new image gets 'baked', I'm waiting by the oven  lol !!

BTW, was looking at this -> http://docs.armbian.com/boards/orangeopipcplus/

which supposedly is relevant but it does not say anything and missed what you indicated.

Ok,

I give the link a read and it seems a few bits are not clear there..

1. I got a Armbian firmware image on a usual bootable SD

2. I insert the SD in OPi PCplus and boot up (?)

3. The uboot booting process, identifies firstly that a bootable SD is inserted and boots from it (?) (and not from eMMC?)

4. After SD booting process, open up a terminal and type the "nand-sata-install" in order to initiate the eMMC write process (?)

Do I got it right or am I missing something?

@jernej

Thanks, it worked just fine.

The only 'glitch' is that it took two attempts, during the first one the eMMC writting utility got 'sync' errors and somehow did not completed correctly. Tried for a second time (..I know I'm a bit stuborn), exact same steps and this time it took quite some time but it managed to complete with success and now I got a OPiPC+ with Armbian 5.23 jessie kernel 3.4.112  on its eMMC.

(And BTW, its wifi rocks..)

Thanks to all

Christos