LiPo Battery for OrangePI Plus 2E

UnixOutlaw

Hi,

Just signed on - I've got Armbian running on my BananaPI (i.e. the original plain Jane BPi) - and liking it on there so far.

So - I was impressed with Armbian on there - and shelled out and got the OPi+ 2E - flashed an SDCard with Armbian - booted up - and really liking it.  Only got it yesterday (took like a month after arriving in the country [AU]).

Did nand-sata-install, successful and rebooted - and now running Armbian off eMMC - runs sweet.  Really impressed so far - VASTLY better experience than Pine64 (I'm looking for a desktop experience on Arm - for no other reason than "because it's there").

Got Chromium browser working - synergy KVM and Plank Dock...  full blown desktop experience.

So - all I need now is to be able to run it off a LiPo battery.   I tried joining the OrangePi org forum - but my forum ID is awaiting verification - and I haven't received an email from them - so no idea how that works - so I'm posting here.

I'm assuming I can just use a couple of the pins on the RasbPI 40 pin connector - but - which ones, and - most importantly - will the H3 CHIP charge a LiPo that's hooked up?

Found the attached pinouts diagram - there's two that are 3.3V+ - but no idea if that's in or out - or do I use the +5V pins on 2 or 4?

Right now I'm running off a Plox Brick into the Pwr IN jack - the Plox is one of the few bricks I've got that allow simultaneous charging and output...   However I'm using a Lapdock - and I'd rather run off this - however neither of the regular USB ports provide power - and even the USB "otg" output on the Lapdock disconnects power when opening/closing the lapdock lid...   So I was thinking of rigging up a battery, and a female "otg" connector straight into the 40 pin PI array - but not sure which pins...  I'm guessing 2 or 4, with 6 for ground...

post-2198-0-22554900-1477471393_thumb.png

There is no onboard battery controller or PMU on H3 based boards, compared to Pine64 or A20 based Bananas. So you will need external device to safely charge the battery, and possibly something like I2C ADC to read out battery voltage from OS.

Oh well - thanks for the heads up - guess I'll have to "think outside the plox"...

Which means I'll be in the market for something like the Plox to keep the OPi+ 2E running - mainly just as a UPS for when I close the lid on the Lapdock

Get yourself a cheap external power bank...like the kind you use to recharge your phone and cut the

micro-B plug off the cable and attach power and ground wires to the proper header pins. The drawback

is the power bank will have a separate connector to charge.