Tinkerboard S R2.0, patch to disable u-boot console & logo

SuperMaximus

@SuperMaximus  What exactly are you trying to accomplish and why?  In your post in this other thread (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/21590-rotate-armbian-logo-in-startup-splash-screen/#comment-161028) you are asking about changing the boot logo, here you are asking to disable the video output.  Those are very different things.  I think if you are looking to disable video output during boot, @jock suggestions are the way to go, and yes that is invasive and would involve low level changes that would require building a custom image.  If you are looking to change the boot logo as you indicated elsewhere, then look at my followup post to that.  If you are looking to do something else, you need to be more specific in your question.  Otherwise Jock and I are wasting our time trying to guess what you are trying to accomplish.

@SteeMan I am asking exactly how to disable u-boot console messages & logo.
In the link you provided I already learned valuable information and found the solution, however boot logo & u-boot messages + logo are different thing as you denoted.

So if you know the solution, please provide the guide. I know how to compile custom image, though I had no experience with applying user patches. Please provide HOWTO.Thanks!

If I place the patch in /build/userpatches/u-boot with this contents:

Will this work for Tinkerboard S R2.0? I wonder if patch is specific to the board or not.

Please point out which folder should this patch be put into?
I am confused because my device is Tinkerboard and the patch dir is Allwinner:
image.thumb.png.b765b9b0ced9bf13111bf4efc758a1ff.png

Edited by SuperMaximus

@SuperMaximus I see you found my post related to my process and steps to apply remove-boot-messages-from-hdmi.patch , plymouth and uboot file options
you need to try this on an image that supports your board. 
I dont have your board but all the steps and info I did are on my linked post in your last above.
I ve build my own image, applied the patch, made my custom boot animation (i wanted that)
but to just hide i suggest apply patch and enable the uboot option to have just a black boot screen.
Apologies but due to family obligations im not very active since I released my bases last April

I don't understand what I need to apply for Tinkerboard S R2.0. 
In this code:

diff --git a/include/configs/sunxi-common.h b/include/configs/sunxi-common.h
index e840e963..6b15462c 100644
--- a/include/configs/sunxi-common.h
+++ b/include/configs/sunxi-common.h
@@ -418,8 +418,8 @@ extern int soft_i2c_gpio_scl;

#ifdef CONFIG_DM_VIDEO
 #define CONSOLE_STDOUT_SETTINGS \
-    "stdout=serial,vidconsole\0" \
-    "stderr=serial,vidconsole\0"
+    "stdout=serial\0" \
+    "stderr=serial\0"
 #else
 #define CONSOLE_STDOUT_SETTINGS \
     "stdout=serial\0" \

there's "sunxi-common.h" and what ".h" file should I use for Tinkerboard?
Or this patch can be left untouched and just placed in /build/userpatches/u-boot and supposed to be viable with Tinkerboard?

On 3/13/2023 at 3:16 PM, c0rnelius said:

I'm fairly certain removing this `CONFIG_DM_RESET=y` from the uboot defconfig will stop video output on the tinker during initial boot.

Not a wise thing to do though

@SuperMaximus

Perhaps this is what you want:

diff --git a/include/configs/tinker_rk3288.h b/include/configs/tinker_rk3288.h
index bde7d72e6d..64c0781359 100644
--- a/include/configs/tinker_rk3288.h
+++ b/include/configs/tinker_rk3288.h
@@ -8,8 +8,8 @@

#define ROCKCHIP_DEVICE_SETTINGS \
                "stdin=serial,usbkbd\0" \
-               "stdout=serial,vidconsole\0" \
-               "stderr=serial,vidconsole\0"
+               "stdout=serial\0" \
+               "stderr=serial\0"

#include <configs/rk3288_common.h>

@jock Thank you! I have created a "disable-u-boot-hdmi.patch" file under /build/userpatches

Then compiled

./compile.sh CREATE_PATCHES="yes" LIB_TAG="v22.11.1"

but finally nothing changed, I still see u-boot console & u-boot logo, thus HDMI patch is either wrong or not applied...

Did I miss something?

Besides, I have

[[ $LINUXFAMILY == rockchip && $BRANCH == current ]] && BOOTBRANCH='tag:v2022.07' 
#conditionally change u-boot git branch/tag
#KERNELBRANCH="tag:v5.15.80" #always change to this kernel tag

in my "lib.config" under /build/userpatches

Somehow BOOTBRANCH parameter wirjed out, whereas KERNELBRANCH (when I uncomment it) does not compile the appointed version.
Also I can't make LIB_TAG working.

I am mentioning this, because I need to compile exact version of Armbian (22.11.1) with Kernel ver (5.15.80) but it does not seem to work, it picks up 6.1 anyhow.
Tinkerboard S has no wlan0 in 6.1 and latest Armbian v.23, thus I wanted to compile an older version under older current branch.
I understand it may be offtopic, but if you know how to solve both issues, I will be immensely grateful!

I attach my compile log here too.

log-build-4355e230-ddb8-45a2-ae2c-8242e8ab404d.log

@SuperMaximus A couple of questions:

• why do you say Tinkerboard S has no wlan0 in kernel 6.1? It was working last time I checked out (although with some incomprehensible performance drops)
  • are you on legacy master branch or current main branch of armbian?

also, whatever you have in your userpatches directory is only yours, since the directory is in armbian .gitignore and not committed into the repository 🤷‍♂️

@jock

Yes, it seems that 6.1 has missing wlan0 drivers (tried all possible precompiled images). It just doesn't mount at all.

I am on current main branch.

By the way, it seems I should've put patch in /userpatches//u-boot/v2022.04

I did, but again it failed to compile.

I attach the log and here's the error excerpt:

[🔨]   -> 09/12: disable-u-boot-hdmi(:1) 
[🔨]   Problem with ->disable-u-boot-hdmi(:1) <-: Failed to apply patch /home/max/build/userpatches/u-boot/v2022.07/disable-u-boot-hdmi.patch:
[🔨]   STDOUT: patching file "include/configs/tinker_rk3288.h"
[🔨]   STDOUT: Hunk #1 FAILED at 8.
[🔨]   STDOUT: 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file "/tmp/tmpzjcowxqx"
[🔨]   -> 10/12: enable-DT-overlays-support(:1) (+2/-0)[1M] {Kconfig}
[🔨]   -> 11/12: u-boot-meson64-support-old-bootscripts(:1) (+4/-0)[1M] {meson64.h}
[🔨]   -> 12/12: zzz-usb-otg-fix(:1) (+2/-0)[1M] {dwc2.c}

Build.log

@jock, I have 2 boards (rev 2.02), nothing works in 6.1, whereas 5.15 is OK.

I couldn't succeed with script, probably because of missed "-" before ""stdin=serial,usbkbd\0" \"

Now that I've put "-" the compiler doesn't like #include <configs/rk3288_common.h>

So I'm struggling with two problems now - attempt to compile an older Armbian with older kernel and fighting with patch...

@jock I wonder if I can just compile U-boot and then update it in my working Armbian 22.11 image? (with kernel 5.15.80)

First I need to compile it with the .patch you provided, but once I put it in patches dir, it says during compilation:

o.k. ] Looking for user patches in [ userpatches/u-boot/v2022.07 ]
[ o.k. ] * [l][c] 0001-HACK-configs-meson64-prevent-stdout-stderr-on-videoconsole.patch 
[ o.k. ] * [l][b] 0001-tinkerboard-defconfig-fix.patch 
[ o.k. ] * [l][b] 0002-tinkerboard-add-emmc.patch 
[ o.k. ] * [l][b] 0003-UMS-mode-on-otg-port.patch 
[ o.k. ] * [l][c] 0003-mmc-meson-gx-change-clock-phase-value-on-axg-SoCs.patch 
[ o.k. ] * [l][b] 0004-make-emmc-bootable.patch 
[ o.k. ] * [l][b] add-overlay-support.patch 
[ warn ] * [l][b] disable-u-boot-hdmi.patch [ failed ]
[ o.k. ] * [l][c] enable-DT-overlays-support.patch 
[ o.k. ] * [l][c] u-boot-meson64-support-old-bootscripts.patch 
[ o.k. ] * [l][b] zzz-usb-otg-fix.patch 

Something might be wrong with the last line of patch...

@SuperMaximus I attach the patch to the message, perhaps git does not like copy-paste from the forum due to space/tabs mismatch

disable-vidconsole.patch

edit: 8723ds is disabled in the current 6.1 kernel, perhaps it got disabled during the transition from 5.15. You can enable it by yourself choosing to show the kernel config initial compilation menus, and then finding the driver in the following tree:

│     -> Device Drivers
  │       -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])
  │         -> Wireless LAN (WLAN [=y])
  │ (1)       -> Realtek 8723D SDIO or SPI WiFi (RTL8723DS [=n])

@jock Thanks! I've tried to compile u-boot separately with the attached patch and it succeeded without errors!

Regarding your advice concerning driver - is there any special condition when I can see kernel config details during running ./compile.sh?

The point is that when I first time cloned the repo, I saw that menu with detailed drivers selection, but now when I choose "Show a kernel configuration menu before compilation" I see nothing but a board selection menu and it follows by kernel selection (I normally opt for Jammy) and image type, after I press OK it starts compiling. Struggling to see that detailed compilation menu again.

@jock Once again, thanks for your profound advices & help!

Now that I understood that completely black screen replacing all u-boot console messages might lead user astray and I decided just to change only the logo with the submarine and leave console messages:
image.png.87c77269c7b3c5a16fc9c3f0a84a4640.png

Is there a way to replace this with my own BMP?

Actually I tried to change all related BMPs from cloned data on my hard drive, but compilation of u-boot results again in the same submarine logo. It seems that cache is pulled anew during compilation.

/root/armbian/cache/sources/u-boot-worktree/u-boot/v2022.04/drivers/video/u_boot_logo.bmp

/root/armbian/cache/sources/u-boot-worktree/u-boot/v2022.04/tools/logos/u_boot_logo.bmp

/root/armbian/cache/sources/u-boot-worktree/u-boot/v2022.04/tools/logos/u_boot_logo.svg

2 hours ago, SuperMaximus said:

Is there a way to replace this with my own BMP?

Yes through a patch just like you modified u-boot with the config patch jock provided you.  You should create a patch that makes the changes to u-boot that you want.