Did anyone manage to have cec-client or cec-ctl working on an H6 box (TX6, T95 mini ...)

Pic55

I would like to control the TV via my box (T95 mini - powered by an H6) runing on Armbian. I installed both cec-utils (for cec-client) and v4l-utils (for cec-ctl) but neither seem to work.

Did anyone manage to use the CEC protocol on an H6 box ?

Hi @SteeMan, thanks. Actually I know TV boxes are not supported, even less the Allwinner based ones. But I know that many of the Armbian community play with those boxes.

So my question was rather a message in bottle in the sea hoping someone else tried the same with more success that I currently have with cec 😉

CEC on H6 works just fine, as I used it many times, although not with Armbian. I can think of following reasons why CEC doesn't work:

1. make sure it's enabled in TV settings. I had to enable it on LG TV and old plasma TV. BEWARE: Setting is usually hidden under commercial name like simplink, easylink, etc.

2. make sure your libcec is new enough, at least 4.0.5

3. make sure driver is loaded (check for /dev/cec0)

4. it could be cable issue, although that's unlikely

Hi @deltasig68 yes. Actually the issue was due to some kernel flags not set when the OS image was generated. I managed to have it working by recompiling the OS (following the Quadra / Inovato procedure by @MBB: https://forum.inovato.com/post/building-armbian-from-source-12449428?pid=1334457271) and once the few build issues fixed, I recompiled changing the following kernel flags (taken from a libreelec forum) :

CONFIG_CEC_CORE=y
CONFIG_CEC_NOTIFIER=y
CONFIG_CEC_PIN=y
CONFIG_MEDIA_CEC_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_USB_PULSE8_CEC=m
CONFIG_USB_RAINSHADOW_CEC=m

Then you can use the cec protocol with cec-ctl (apt-get install v4l-utils). I haven't completed my tests but it seems to work fine. Please notice that the above is valid on a T95 / Quadra box (H6 based). And double check that your HDMI cable support the protocol (not all do).