How to boot from my Android TV Box?

Adan

Hi, I would like to know if its possible to boot from SD card in my model of Android TV BOX. It does not have a reset button but has an update app.

Its a Giga TV Box HD890 4K. It has an Amlogic CPU

I do all the process of installing Armbian in the SD card, Android starts an update and it says:

"Map file is too short".

I really dont know what I have to do to enable multi boot. Installation is aborted.

Im getting really upset for not being able to install Armbian.

Any help to this issue would be really welcome.

Sorry for my bad english

Im using the generic "Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz" is that the correct one?

Its a Giga TV Box HD890 4K. Is it unsupported?

Flash the sd card with Ballena Etcher and load the image downloaded to create a bootable Armbian micro sd

Edited by Adan

48 minutes ago, Adan said:

Flash the sd card with Ballena Etcher and load the image downloaded to create a bootable Armbian micro sd

What dtb and u-boot are you using?

48 minutes ago, Adan said:

Its a Giga TV Box HD890 4K. Is it unsupported?

No TV boxes are supported.  Some work better than others, some not at all.

Are you following the instructions here: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/17106-installation-instructions-for-tv-boxes-with-amlogic-cpus

Question, should I continue with this?

I cannot do the "toothpick" method, but I can try the "update" method.

My dtb is meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb

My u-boot is u-boot-s905x-s912

I also have changed the build, I use the "Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11_xfce_desktop.img.xz" image.

And the result is: the update app cant even read the sd card.

Anyways, I follow the instructions download the image of this tutorial on the Internet

https://i12bretro.github.io/tutorials/0316.html

and I use this image "Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0_desktop.img.xz"

I get the "map file is too short" message

Edited by Adan
Added Image name

This is the error I get when using update app

Supported API: 3

charge_status 2, charged 1, status SUCCESS, capacity 100

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

E: Block map file is too short: 3

E: Map of "@/cache/recovery/block.map" failed

E failed to map file

Installation aborted

From the picture your box is a rebranded m8s pro+, as indicated by the board markings.

In googling I have found the following like that shows someone being successful at installing Armbian (http://www.galipe.net/guide-mecool-m8sproplus-armbian/). (article in French, I used Google translate)

So it should be possible.

While those instructions are old, they show that it should work.

The current builds do not even include the aml_autoscript.zip file because it is rarely needed.  There is nothing special about this file it is a zero byte dummy file, that is supposed to trigger the loading of the aml_autoscript file via some update apps.

Another way of triggering the running of the aml_autoscript file is to issue a 'adb reboot update' command through adb.

I do the ADB reboot update and the TV box bricks and image freezes. Im doing the ADB Wifi mode.

UPDATE: I doesnt brick, It just boots Android again

The current builds do not even include the aml_autoscript.zip file because it is rarely needed.  There is nothing special about this file it is a zero byte dummy file, that is supposed to trigger the loading of the aml_autoscript file via some update apps.

The problem is that I need that file to launch the "update". But it says that about map file too short.

Ill try the french tutorial.

Espero que el tutorial de mis vecinos galos me den buenos resultados, hahaha.

Translation "I hope that the tutorial of my neighbors the Gauls give me good results, hahaha."

Edited by Adan

There are different types of update apps, so when you run the update app on the old 5.9.0 build do you see the same interface as this how to article shows?  

It is the same interface like in the article but in Spanish.

This is what I get

XjZeZA.jpg

QiGek6.jpg

4858dB.jpg

0dz4l2.jpg

Do you think the issue must be the SD card?

"Once the image is burned to the micro-SD card, two partitions/discs "BOOT" and "ROOTFS" will appear in your file explorer. Go to the BOOT party (tip in case of doubt between the two: this partition contains files but only one folder named "dtb")."

There is no "ROOTFS" partition. With other images I usually get it but not now.

Edited by Adan

Also tried flashing "Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz" into another SD card and the TV Box didnt even recognize the sd card. My computer does.

Tried the ADB method with the SD card inserted (not recognized) and it boots Android again.

Its Android 9 (Android Pie)

Can it be the bootloader? It is locked or something?

Edited by Adan

23 minutes ago, Adan said:

Also tried flashing "Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz" into another SD card and the TV Box didnt even recognize the sd card. My computer does.

What do you mean by "TV Box doesn't recognize the SD card"?  How is it different from before?

What I mean is that I have two Micro SD card, one with the "Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz" , I try the update app on Android but it says "No sd card".

The other is the one, is the one with another Armbian image, the result is this:

0dz4l2.jpg

2 hours ago, Adan said:

What I mean is that I have two Micro SD card, one with the "Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz" , I try the update app on Android but it says "No sd card".

That is yo be expected.  As I said earlier:

18 hours ago, SteeMan said:

You would need to create the empty aml_autoscript.zip file on this build manually.

OK now I understand.  It is common to have incompatibilities between older TV boxes and SD cards.

You also said you: 

3 hours ago, Adan said:

Tried the ADB method with the SD card inserted (not recognized) and it boots Android again

Which sd card was that with?  Obviously if the box can't read the one card, nothing is going to work with that card.

It was the "Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz image

For some reason the disk when mounted on pc  has the name "armboot" or something like that instead of "boot", like the other image.

Edited by Adan

Yes and the result is the same (it does read it but boots Android for some reason), they are both 128 GB SD card

Maybe im doing something wrong like I only put

"adb reboot update"

and the system reboots

Is that command correct?

UPDATE: BUT IT HAS AN IMAGE ARMBIAN IMAGE, AN OLDER ONE

Edited by Adan