Install issues on x96 air 2g_100m

kaattaalan

I use the x96 air 2g_100m (s905x3) version. I used Armbian for amlogic(bulls_eye, xfce) boxes as specified in the tutorial here. I tried with many dtbs, (it even had one named x96 air) all of the didn't work. So I tried the u-boot.ext file from this Manjaro for Arm tutorial. (The link for the archive). This combined with 'meson-sm1-x96-air.dtb' file worked great and I was able to boot from SD card without any hiccups. And for the first time, the onboard wifi was working flawlessly. I could only get it to work with Coreelec before. 
With this, I decided to write it to emmc . I used the 'install-aml.sh' to do this and it completed successfully. But when I rebooted from emmc, it was showing the error:

unable to select a mode

MMC Device not found

no mmc device at alot 2
DMA reset timeout
missing environment variable: pxeuuid
missing environment variable: bootfile
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/01-62-02-70-d5-a0-7d
DMA reset timeout

So I replaced the u-boot.mmc file with the original one (u-boot-s905x2-s922 renamed to u-boot.mmc). This one fails to boot altogether, just boot-looping. So I figure issue must be 
I don't know much about u-boot files and dtbs, I would really appreciate some guidance on this..

Thanks

I use mainline u-boot on my X96-AIR GBIT. It being a TVBOX, I'm not gonna help people brick their unit, but for those in the know and or willing to try, these are the bits I use.

Firmware Image Package can be found here: https://github.com/pyavitz/debian-image-builder/releases/download/amlogic-boot-fip/amlogic-boot-fip-master.tar.gz

I also have a kernel patch set. Although its modded for use with the jl2xx1 ETH module.

NOTE: The u-boot patches should work with v2023.01 / 04. The vendor 'ANDROID' u-boot needs to be purged from the eMMC: dd if=/dev/zero of="/dev/${node}" bs=32768 count=32768

https://paste.debian.net/1277482/

001-u-boot-v2023.04-x96-air-gbit-support.patch 002-meson64-boot-target-usb.patch

If you have never built an image, I don't recommend getting your feet wet trying on a tv box. I bricked one of my boxes a couple times before getting this u-boot right, so unless you know how to unbrick it, it is not something you should be playing with. I posted the patches for those who may be interested in adding the support.

I'm using the same device. I used the prebuild image <link to non armbian code removed> from this Github page: <link removed>. It's working quite well. Maybe you should have a look at it

Edited by SteeMan
links to non-armbian code

@iloveomv The location you posted is a fork of armbian. Their developers use the Armbian name without permission. We discourage people from posting links to that project in these forums as we can't help people with those builds as the code isn't armbian.  Because they use the armbian name people get confused and think they are using armbian code and come here for support.  Those developers do not participate in these forums, nor do they support armbian development.  Feel free to PM the the information but direct followup questions should be directed to their support methods.

Image used Armbian_23.02.2_Aml-s9xx-box_bullseye_current_6.1.11.img.xz
u-boot.mmc is created in the the boot drive after installing to emmc with the script. This u-boot is probably the copy of the one we put into the boot drive of sd card right ?. Because I used one from other forum, I thought to replace it with the ones came with the image. Not sure if it makes sense.

I followed these Instructions :