New unofficial Orange Pi forum

moondeck

Hi everyone,

we have a new forum set up at orangepi.club now, since the original one runs as if it was run on a OPi One while compiling 5 kernels at the same time, and its mostly broken too (login for example)

The new forum is not supposed to be a replacement for this forum, just a place to have a general chat about all systems, not only Armbian. I hope its a good place to post it. Also, if you are a creator of a distro, you can be a moderator for the distribution category.

I am not a part of the administration, i am just telling you guys about it, so we get people to know this forum and actually use it, because its better.

-moondeck

Yeah, we definitely 'need' more fragmentation. If I look at http://orangepi.club/forumdisplay.php?fid=4 and https://github.com/SvenKayser/Sambooca-Kernel-H3/commits/sun8i I already got the idea, thanks.

Why on earth should be an Armbian forum be needed somewhere else? There IS already one and that's this one here! What's wrong with trying to concentrate development efforts in one place?

Yeah, we definitely 'need' more fragmentation. If I look at http://orangepi.club/forumdisplay.php?fid=4 and https://github.com/SvenKayser/Sambooca-Kernel-H3/commits/sun8iI already got the idea, thanks.

Why on earth should be an Armbian forum be needed somewhere else? There IS already one and that's this one here! What's so wrong with trying to bundle development efforts in one place?

There is a forum on armbian, but not really for anything else. I also think there shouldnt be a category for armbian on that forum, but i dont decide about that, i can tell the admin thou.

The main thing is that this is a forum for armbian, that means that if i wanna talk about my distro, i cant really do that here.

Also, what is wrong with the Sambooca repo, i dont get your point?

As to why it was even created, you need to know why we wanted it in the first place. It was so Sven could use it for his distro, and i came along later, and now use it in my distro. It has almost everything as a module, therefore only taking around 2.4 megs without any modules loaded. Whats the point? Maybe someone doesnt want to use armbian for some reason? Dont get me wrong, the effort is great, and i think what you guys are doing with the kernel is a *really* good thing, i just kinda dislike the system, so i rolled my own. Open source m8.

Yeah, we definitely 'need' more fragmentation. If I look at http://orangepi.club/forumdisplay.php?fid=4 and https://github.com/SvenKayser/Sambooca-Kernel-H3/commits/sun8i I already got the idea, thanks.

Why on earth should be an Armbian forum be needed somewhere else? There IS already one and that's this one here! What's wrong with trying to concentrate development efforts in one place?

While I don't really see the point in yet another, probably rather sparsely populated forum, I think it's perfectly valid to do so if one wants to. Like you pointed out yourself: This is the Armbian forum. There are people, however, that don't run Armbian, don't want to run Armbian, and might even disagree on certain design choices it makes. That also is perfectly valid, and as long as improvements made are flowing back into Armbian maybe even beneficial. I think it stems from a rather narrow view on things to outright disregard people that want to try and take a different approach. 

As for my own Kernel repo .... that's pretty much for my very own and private use and for the not at all aimed at the general public Gentoo based rootfs builder I'm working on, mostly for work. If it is not appreciated to let things flow back into Armbian, that's something I can perfectly live happily ever after with.

If it is not appreciated to let things flow back into Armbian, that's something I can perfectly live happily ever after with.

Sorry, misunderstanding, it's quite the opposite. I'm only concerned about fixes/improvements that don't get back 'upstream'. I consider Armbian not a distro but a build system and in the meantime some sort of joined development approach (at least that was one of my goals promoting Armbian).

With regard to "yet another forum": micro communities tend to create micro realities (see banana-pi.org or pine64.org forums for worst examples) and it wouldn't be the first forum run by individuals that got shut down since the 'owner' got bored after some time when a huge amount of knowledge and efforts was already collected there and is then lost forever.

@moondeck: It would be great to prevent just another orphaned/dead Armbian subforum somewhere (see pine64.org or orangepi.org) so please create a sticky thread there sending people searching help for Armbian to http://docs.armbian.com/  (forum link is there twice, this should be sufficient).

Sorry, misunderstanding, it's quite the opposite. I'm only concerned about fixes/improvements that don't get back 'upstream'. I consider Armbian not a distro but a build system and in the meantime some sort of joined development approach (at least that was one of my goals promoting Armbian).

With regard to "yet another forum": micro communities tend to create micro realities (see banana-pi.org or pine64.org forums for worst examples) and it wouldn't be the first forum run by individuals that got shut down since the 'owner' got bored after some time when a huge amount of knowledge and efforts was already collected there and is then lost forever.

@moondeck: It would be great to prevent just another orphaned/dead Armbian subforum somewhere (see pine64.org or orangepi.org) so please create a sticky thread there sending people searching help for Armbian to http://docs.armbian.com/  (forum link is there twice, this should be sufficient).

Thats actually a good idea. Let me do it now. As i've said, its not supposed to be another forum for some other community. Its supposed to be a better replacement, i guess if people will migrate, then it has a chance of staying there.

Thats actually a good idea. Let me do it now.

Thanks, but please remove the forum.armbian.com link there. People should be redirected only to docs.armbian.com to avoid posting redundant stuff already answered again and again to new forum threads. :)

BTW: More out of curiosity. Did you ever consider to use Armbian's build system for your md-debian? I know that documentation lacks somehow but it's pretty easy to customize/overwrite nearly everything due to config overrides and other customization features (that can be used to even throw away the whole rootfs shortly before closing the image and replacing it with something else -- I did this once just for fun with OpenSUSE). Potential side effect for us: Getting early feedback on Stretch.

Sure, done.  I did consider using armbians build system, but i just didnt want to use anything-armbian, and instead code my own crappy system. Now i am trying to actually remove debootstrap from the system and ship my pre-built rootfs. I also wanted it to be simple. No menu configuration (that will probably change in the future). But yeah, i did, but i didnt for a reason.

Good, then I think we agree very much here. Since I happily adopted most of the patches from the H3 kernel I would be a rather cynical linuxer to not pass upwards what I deem useful. That I don't do that on your repo is simply due to the fact that I think that you guys know best where to put things and if you even need them.

On the other hand: I would feel "off topic" discussing, for example, Gentoo profiles and useful handling of closed source system libraries (I'm talking Mali here) with Portage on the Armbian Forums since... well... it's not even close to what Armbian works with, so I can dig people trying to get forums running that are not aimed at a specific system. That they will have a hard time working/surviving just because of a lack of "gravity" or a sustainable community with their entire contributions probably-eventually going /dev/null .... totally valid point. What I personally could dig would be a section on these forums specifically targeted at "Not-(exclusively-)Armbian-things". If that is something that makes sense, or you guys would even want.... That's something entirely up to you, of course.

What I personally could dig would be a section on these forums specifically targeted at "Not-(exclusively-)Armbian-things". If that is something that makes sense, or you guys would even want....

I also would like something like this on armbian forum :

- because I like this forum - Somebody said you could learn more here in 3 days than in 3 month elsewhere - and I agree.

- because I am an armbian (mostly kernel/uboot) user, but always want to do things in my way and keep control (that's why I also found more easy to use a gentoo system with armbian kernel)

So, what I am interested in (and would like to see people discussing on the forum) is :

- board specific hardware/driver/problems/opportunity infos ...

- use cases : it is always very interesting to know what people do with their boards and how. Having wifi or desktop working is ... boring. Buy a Mac and do funny (and useful) things with your arm boards !

All that is related to armbian in term of "universal system". I don't want to follow raspberry/xxxberry/yyyarm threads/forums for projects where the platform (and OS variant - provided it works well) is secondary.

What I personally could dig would be a section on these forums specifically targeted at "Not-(exclusively-)Armbian-things". If that is something that makes sense, or you guys would even want.... That's something entirely up to you, of course.

This is something I would welcome as long as it happens below "Development" forum. But totally up to Igor (he runs the infrastructure and has to pay the bills).

Infrastructure is in the process of moving to professional grade server in any case since current low power, low cost server XU4 can't cope with the traffic and I don't have any alternatives left in this range.

I don't mind extending a forum a little bit.

If we are adding a new forum, where? Here:

General discussion

f_icon_read.png 3rd party builds

Openelec, Gentoo, RetrOrangePi, Android, ...

I vote for extending the General discussion forum with this '3rd party builds' subforum since this mess with so many forums here and there and information scattered across different places should be limited (and I've to admit that I don't like forums in general that much anyway ;) )

Another thing I fear is some forum disappearing after some time since owner got bored (BTST many times) and I don't think this will happen anytime soon with this forum here.