Orange Pi Zero went to the market

zgoda_j

I haven't tested Icenowy's branch so I don't know if it works but it's basically the same thing. I just added code to get the interrupt pin from the device tree node and the "platform" code for the driver to toggle the power etc. The platform stuff shouldn't actually be needed. A regulator in the mmc node and a pwrseq node in the device sub node is the right solution and that does work but I thought that could be causing the firmware crash so I implemented that stuff. With the platform code you can unload the module and reload the module which is faster than rebooting to test. :)

I'm working on cleaning up the driver. For example they've been lazy in a few places and are using global variables to move state around instead of properly allocating the structures for that instance of the device. At the moment you couldn't have two chips connected for example. That doesn't matter for the pi zero but because they have global variables in the module instead of doing the setup of the device in the probe function called by the sdio subsystem in the kernel they are doing unneeded synchronisation between the sdio probe function and the module init function. They are also passing around a struct with function pointers to the sdio bus functions which would make sense if the chip had alternative interfaces but other parts of the code rely on the interface being sdio so it's totally useless.

And their debugfs code doesn't unregister correctly so once the module unloads if you access anything in debugfs it causes a kernel panic... :D

I don't have much time to work on this so it'll probably be a few weeks before I have something that is relatively clean and works.

@dgp: Thank you for sharing your work and insights. Since I already damaged partially my OPi Zero I can't continue with Wi-Fi but in case any of the Armbian devs wants to give it a try I would currently rely on your repo. On the other hand providing 'beta' images with mainline kernel for those H3 devices did not led to that much useful feedback (to improve things) it's more or less wasting time (now).

@tkaiser: I have 17 opi zero boards, happy to do any tests for you or anyone else to get this platform working.  I am working on a remote solar powered IoT setup.

Unless you need SPI (which is planned for 4.10 apparently) you should be able to do everything you want with the mainline kernel and the current xradio driver.

Once SPI is supported it should be possible to put a very small rootfs (buildroot generated or similar) on the SPI flash and have a system that that's a bit more reliable than a complete linux distro running on SD cards.

@dgp I don't need SPI, mainline + wifi is all I need. I tried the image posted by tkaiser and the image on the armbian page. Both failed for me (after I sign in for the first time, and change my password, it reboots. Then when I try to sign in again, it locks up and reboots).  I have a ttl adapter, so I can post the messages if you'd like.

Otherwise, is there another image that I can try out? I looked at building it myself, but there's no config file in the repo for the orange pi zero.

I was able to ctrl C right after I logged in with my new root password for the first time. Here's the traceback (on Armbian_5.24.161122_Orangepizero_Ubuntu_xenial_3.4.113)

Password: 
Last login: Wed Nov 23 00:17:47 UTC 2016 on ttyS0
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/etc/update-motd.d/40-updates", line 139, in <module>
    refreshdata()
  File "/etc/update-motd.d/40-updates", line 101, in refreshdata
    if not (depcache.marked_install(pkg) or depcache.marked_upgrade(pkg)):
KeyboardInterrupt

.[0;31mThank you for choosing Armbian! Support: .[1m.[39mwww.armbian.com.[0m

Creating new account. Please provide a username (eg. your forename):

Quite the opposite, I think you would have to tweak code to be able to use WiringOP with this board. Please have a look through

$Someone with all the H3 boards on his desk could maybe provide an universal WiringOP lib?

Is there a H2 datasheet floating around like the awesome H3 datasheet that has all the possible pin functions etc?     I got some zeros in the other day and I'm going to see if i can make my WiringPi-Python-OP build work with it... which i think means i'll go ahead and fork WiringOP this weekend and take a stab at it.

Also i noticed (as you mentioned on another post) that bin2fex fails on the zero fex.   Should I try to find an older bin2fex or newer?

which i think means i'll go ahead and fork WiringOP this weekend and take a stab at it.

Also i noticed (as you mentioned on another post) that bin2fex fails on the zero fex.

Just take latest version from github repo since I changed all 'machine' entries in there to be compatible with mainline kernel. Reason behind: stop producing yet another WiringOP library, join development efforts and produce a single lib suitable for all H2+ and H3 boards: http://tech.scargill.net/banana-pi-m2/#comment-27946

What about forking WiringOP one last time, adding board auto detection (@jernej's read_fex code works flawlessly -- when executed as root) and creating one package that will be installed on sun8i boards automagically?

IMO we're not that far away from that since in linux-sunxi and FriendlyARM wiki pin headers are documented (only exception the 'great' Banana Pi M2+), the fex changes to detect the board at runtime are already there so only someone who knows what he's doing (definitely not me if it's about GPIO low-level stuff) is needed to get the job done? Maybe creating a task for this so that others might be able to contribute in a reasonable way?

Please see in the aforementioned thread in a few comments above for links to expansion header pin mappings and here for OPi Zero schematics (H2+ is just a stripped down H3, no GbE MAC and no 4K HDMI output are the known exceptions so far).

On 24.11.2016 at 5:08 PM, manuti said:

Orange boys are very busy nowadays new add-on board for 2$ for the Orange Pi Zero

Sweet! I hope the pins on the TRRS jack are still the same (and the AV cable they sell is still wrong in the same way as before ;) )

The next such HAT should add 2 JMS568 USB-to-SATA bridges and provide one normal SATA jack and one mSATA: The Zero NAS :)

Just take latest version from github repo since I changed all 'machine' entries in there to be compatible with mainline kernel. Reason behind: stop producing yet another WiringOP library, join development efforts and produce a single lib suitable for all H2+ and H3 boards: http://tech.scargill.net/banana-pi-m2/#comment-27946

What about forking WiringOP one last time, adding board auto detection (@jernej's read_fex code works flawlessly -- when executed as root) and creating one package that will be installed on sun8i boards automagically?

IMO we're not that far away from that since in linux-sunxi and FriendlyARM wiki pin headers are documented (only exception the 'great' Banana Pi M2+), the fex changes to detect the board at runtime are already there so only someone who knows what he's doing (definitely not me if it's about GPIO low-level stuff) is needed to get the job done? Maybe creating a task for this so that others might be able to contribute in a reasonable way?

Challenge Accepted.

WiringOtherPi here we come...

As you know I only barely know what I'm doing, but there's plenty of bright minds to steer us straight.    I'll scribble some things and kick off a task.   I need to do some groking on how much different GPIO stuff is or isn't with mainline

Since I don't see immediate issues with reading stuff, we may add udev rule to change ownership for the sysfs path to allow accessing this from non-root user.

Great. And access to GPIO stuff could be done the same way (members of group 'gpio' have access and maybe 1st user will be added to this group automagically).

I'll scribble some things and kick off a task.   I need to do some groking on how much different GPIO stuff is or isn't with mainline

This is something we need @martinayotte to jump in as well. He already provided patches to add I2C and SPI with mainline kernel as DT overlays. Maybe there's more stuff needed but it would be really great to start this in an organized way.

My (naive) assumption is that it should be possible to get this as easy as with RPi + Raspbian now to use at least those cheap H2+/H3 devices for this IoT/sensor/actor/whatever stuff without headaches. Regardless of kernel version or device in question :)

I need to do some groking on how much different GPIO stuff is or isn't with mainline

GPIO sysfs interface should be the same on both, mainline and BSP, kernels. I checked that a month or so back. I think the only work which needs to be done here is identifying differences between the boards and implement this in a sane way.

Refactoring (Fix the structure and back filling the existing code until it works) the xr819 driver is taking some time so I have created a branch that incorporates some changes that make the driver work properly with a DT based system and added some usage instructions:

https://github.com/fifteenhex/xradio/tree/original

Aside from that a mainline based branch that has a DT for the pi zero and has working ethernet etc is available here:

https://github.com/fifteenhex/linux/tree/orangepizero

I will add a defconf for the pi zero sometime today.

Uboot with a defconf for the pi zero is here:

https://github.com/fifteenhex/u-boot/tree/orangepizero

Great news: linux-sunxi community got boot from SPI NOR flash to work: http://linux-sunxi.org/Orange_Pi_Zero#Mainline_U-Boot

Apritzel also managed to hack the function of the 'power button' to become a FEL button instead (so you're able to boot from SD card by pressing the button even if a 'firmware' is already stored in SPI flash -- useful only for OPi PC 2 now since Zero is missing the button).

What's missing still? SPI NOR flash soldered on the Zero by default as it's already the case with OPi PC 2. So please make some noise to convince Xunlong soldering the same 16 Mb (2 MB) flash on the Zero starting with next production batch. Please leave feedback in OrangePi forum and on Aliexpress! :)

Got mine delivered (Lahore, Pakistan) earlier this week but only just managed to test it. Everything is running smooth so far except wifi which has huge latency problem. Tried disabling power management but no luck. I know it's just early days with xradio driver but is this known issue?

Some info and ping results: 

zero@orangepizero:~$ sudo iwconfig

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"XS 2.4G"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx   
          Bit Rate=39 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=60/70  Signal level=-50 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:54  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
ping 192.168.5.174
64 bytes from 192.168.5.174: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=3562.208 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.5.174: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=546.935 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.5.174: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1003.713 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.5.174: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=587.229 ms

Which version of the xradio driver? Anyhow you are probably missing interrupts.

The one that came with latest Armbian:

zero@orangepizero:~$ sudo modinfo xradio_wlan
filename:       /lib/modules/3.4.113-sun8i/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/xradio/xradio_wlan.ko
alias:          xradio_core
license:        GPL
description:    XRadioTech WLAN driver core
author:         XRadioTech
depends:        mac80211
intree:         Y
vermagic:       3.4.113-sun8i SMP preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8 

parm:           macaddr:First MAC address (charp)

To improve Wi-Fi situation with legacy kernel someone knowledgeable with an interest in Wi-Fi should work through https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/2808-orange-pi-zero-went-to-the-market/?p=20329 then backport all changes to Allwinner's 3.4 release and send a pull request. I fear no one from Armbian 'core team' will do due to lack of time/interest/ressources.

The one that came with latest Armbian:

It's probably a problem with interrupts. I suspect the latency you are seeing is because interrupts aren't waking up the driver so it's only reading data when it wakes up when waiting for an interrupt or tx event times out. Take a look at /proc/interrupts. I think with the legacy kernel the wifi interrupts might be grouped with MMC1.

It's probably a problem with interrupts. I suspect the latency you are seeing is because interrupts aren't waking up the driver so it's only reading data when it wakes up when waiting for an interrupt or tx event times out. Take a look at /proc/interrupts. I think with the legacy kernel the wifi interrupts might be grouped with MMC1.

zero@orangepizero:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       
 10:       1412          0          0          0  sunxi_gpio_irq_chip  xradio_irq
 29:      15485      12709      32435       5753       GIC  arch_timer
 30:          0          0          0          0       GIC  arch_timer
 32:        519          0          0          0       GIC  uart0
 38:         24          0          0          0       GIC  twi0
 39:         18          0          0          0       GIC  twi1
 43:          0          0          0          0       GIC  PA
 49:       1412          0          0          0       GIC  PG
 50:          0          0          0          0       GIC  sunxi_timer0
 63:          0          0          0          0       GIC  Thermal
 69:          0          0          0          0       GIC  sunxi-ir
 72:          0          0          0          0       GIC  sunxi-rtc alarm
 77:          0          0          0          0       GIC  PL
 81:          0          0          0          0       GIC  arisc_hwmsgbox_irq
 82:          0          0          0          0       GIC  sunxi_dmac
 90:          0          0          0          0       GIC  cedar_dev
 92:      34964          0          0          0       GIC  sunxi-mmc
 93:      40990          0          0          0       GIC  sunxi-mmc
 97:          0          0          0          0       GIC  spi0
104:          0          0          0          0       GIC  ehci_hcd:usb1
105:          0          0          0          0       GIC  ohci_hcd:usb5
106:          0          0          0          0       GIC  ehci_hcd:usb2
107:          0          0          0          0       GIC  ohci_hcd:usb6
108:          0          0          0          0       GIC  ehci_hcd:usb3
109:          0          0          0          0       GIC  ohci_hcd:usb7
110:          0          0          0          0       GIC  ehci_hcd:usb4
111:          0          0          0          0       GIC  ohci_hcd:usb8
114:          5          0          0          0       GIC  gmac0
IPI0:          0          0          0          0  CPU wakeup interrupts
IPI1:          0          0          0          0  Timer broadcast interrupts
IPI2:       3202      25919       2854       3949  Rescheduling interrupts
IPI3:        141        161         38        162  Function call interrupts
IPI4:          1          3          5          1  Single function call interrupts
IPI5:          0          0          0          0  CPU stop interrupts
IPI6:          0          0          0          0  CPU backtrace
IPI7:          0          0          0          0  completion interrupts
Err:          0

I have same issue (ping through WiFi ranges from 1 to 500 ms). People did found a solution - repeating ping with high frequency (20 small pings per second or more - "ping -s 1 -i 0.05 <orange-ip>"). Seems like a stupid incoming packets grouping in the driver to save power by processing large number of packets at once.

I like the case!  I just printed one.  I flipped the colors.  Seemed more sense to make the orange design in orange. :)  I had to do a little trimming on the antenna hole and around the USB jack--near the back, mine have a fold that sticks out a tiny bit, maybe 0.2 or 0.3mm.  30 seconds with a hobby knife and it fit together just fine.  I used M3x8 self tapping screws instead of machine screws--because I have a ton.  They worked just fine.

I would like you post, but I just signed up for the forum to make this reply and I guess the forum doesn't trust me with that kind of power, yet.  So, here's my verbal thumbs up to you!

hi all im very beginner for orange pi zero, in this board there is no hdmi port, so how i can view for display the first installation? many thanks for the response and help

You should go for OPi One or similar board if you need HDMI ... but you only need a display or better, serial console, only in case of troubles. Attach to network, look for boards IP on router and connect via SSH. Just check documentation.

You should go for OPi One or similar board if you need HDMI ... but you only need a display or better, serial console, only in case of troubles. Attach to network, look for boards IP on router and connect via SSH. Just check documentation.

Thanks for your help,

maybe I want to get the information is how I can set the console, or connect with a vnc, if orange pi zero do not have a port for video output such as for example hdmi port or video port, of course I cant do nothing without user interface. thanks fot your help