Orange Pi Zero went to the market

zgoda_j

I compiled Armbian against your repo but after loading the module nothing happens, wlan0 doesn't show up in ifconfig -a, nor is there any error message.

Did you use the "original" branch that actually works or the "master" branch that contains a non-working skeleton driver that I'm working on?

Hi

I've bought two weeks ago Orange Pi Zero 512M with WiFi and still can not make WIFi work.

I tried

Armbian_5.24_Orangepizero_Debian_jessie_3.4.113, 

Armbian_5.24_Orangepizero_Ubuntu_xenial_3.4.113,

Armbian_5.24.161208_Orangepizero_Ubuntu_xenial_3.4.113

"ifconfig -a" does not show wlan0 interface

modprobe xradio_wlan

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'xradio_wlan': Connection timed out

grep XRADIO syslog

Dec 15 11:05:08 localhost kernel: [ 1303.967141] [XRADIO_ERR] xradio_host_dbg_init failed=2599
Dec 15 11:05:08 localhost kernel: [ 1303.967200] [XRADIO] Driver Label:L34M.01.08.0002  Nov 14 2016 08:41:12
Dec 15 11:05:08 localhost kernel: [ 1303.967401] [XRADIO] Allocated hw_priv @ d4be9240
Dec 15 11:05:08 localhost kernel: [ 1303.967985] [XRADIO_ERR] Access_file failed, path:/data/xr_wifi.conf!
Dec 15 11:05:09 localhost kernel: [ 1304.126722] [XRADIO] Detect SDIO card 1
Dec 15 11:05:11 localhost kernel: [ 1306.184294] [XRADIO] Remove SDIO card 1
Dec 15 11:05:11 localhost kernel: [ 1306.194319] [XRADIO_ERR] sbus_sdio_init failed

I've seen in forums that in armbian wifi works from the beginning.

In my case it can not even load the driver.

What do I do wrong or it is just a faulty Zero?

What do I do wrong or it is just a faulty Zero?

Check in dmesg for the MMC subsystem detecting the SDIO card. If you see that you are probably experiencing the driver crashing the firmware on the card.

Check in dmesg for the MMC subsystem detecting the SDIO card. If you see that you are probably experiencing the driver crashing the firmware on the card.

Since my WiFi stopped working a few weeks ago (after playing around with hardware so I assume I damaged something) I thought let's give it a try again. Dmesg output at the end of http://sprunge.us/WVCM

Since my WiFi stopped working a few weeks ago (after playing around with hardware so I assume I damaged something) I thought let's give it a try again. Dmesg output at the end of http://sprunge.us/WVCM

It would seem it still partially works. ;) Could be a software issue. I thought it would be the more common issue with the driver causing the firmware to crash after it boots up but yours is getting stuck after it's uploaded the bootloader before the main firmware.

It would seem it still partially works. ;) Could be a software issue. I thought it would be the more common issue with the driver causing the firmware to crash after it boots up but yours is getting stuck after it's uploaded the bootloader before the main firmware.

Well, it started after I tried to test through 3 different aerials and mounted a heatsink (with thermal glue) directly before. Test with antenna 1 good. Powered off, exchanged antenna and no WiFi any more (same symptoms as above now with latest nightly build). So I still would assume it's a hardware issue and I damaged something somehow.

Hello,

I am using legacy xenial nightly build for my OPiZero. So far so good but wlan0 does not show up automatically. I need to explicitly do "modprobe xradio_wlan" to bring up the interface.

I am trying to use this board as an Wifi AP with ethernet connecting to the WAN. WAN/eth0 is configured using DHCP.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces for this purpose.

auto lo br0
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual

iface br0 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eth0 wlan0
#hwaddress ether # will be added at first boot

This is the error that is showing up on DMESG while booting - 

[    8.505766] xradio wlan power on
[    9.015178] [XRADIO_ERR] xradio_load_firmware: can't read config register, err=-110.
[    9.024007] [XRADIO_ERR] xradio_load_firmware failed(-110).
[    9.351533] xradio wlan power off

Atleast we found a fix and my OPiZero is working as expected.

I modified the /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf and added a duplicate entry for xradio_wlan in the end and boom everything works as expected. You should probably put this in the legacy distro to avoid confusion until the driver is fixed.

#w1-sunxi
#w1-gpio
#w1-therm
#sunxi-cir
xradio_wlan
g_serial
xradio_wlan

You should probably put this in the legacy distro to avoid confusion until the driver is fixed.

We shipped with this weeks ago: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/commit/a8ee68af8f7b534089ac63ebb7e7f4f8d5c32027

But then it got deleted/changed by accident and nobody noticed. Maybe that explains a few of the WiFi related complaints here in the forum...

NAS hat is interesting. Might not be good enough for 4k media streaming but would be fine as an NFS server for doing backups etc.

If anyone has contact with them I would like a little board with an i2c controlled pmic that can charge batteries with the other switching and ldo supplies from the pmic broken out for use with sensors. Needs to be i2c controlled so the extra supplies can be turned on and off on demand.

Hi everyone,
Got problem with WiFi using nightly kernel.

I installed Armbian_5.24.161219_Orangepizero_Ubuntu_xenial_4.9.0.7z
and upgraded the nightly repo via

sed -i "s/apt/beta/" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

then copied the repo from github.com/fifteenhex/xradio and compiled the kernel with

root@orangepizero:# make -C /lib/modules/4.9.0-sun8i/build M=`pwd` modules -j4
root@orangepizero:# cp xradio_wlan.ko /lib/modules/4.9.0-sun8i/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
root@orangepizero:# depmod -a
root@orangepizero:# modprobe xradio_wlan

and loaded the kernel module properly.
dmesg:

[  246.402613] xradio_wlan: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[  246.404432] xradio_wlan: unknown parameter 'macaddr' ignored

But there are no interface available at ifconfig -a as a wlan0.
I also tried original branch of xradio with same result.
Can you guess why?

But there are no interface available at ifconfig -a as a wlan0.

I also tried original branch of xradio with same result.

Can you guess why?

Just a hint. This module needs to be loaded twice to work properly on legacy kernel ... 

Wow, seems like a great addon! Can we now potentialy get 4 disks: 2 via USB2.0, 1 via SATA and 1 via MSATA to SATA adapter?

If so that would really rock. Thinking to add USB3.0 to Gigabit adapter on the OTG port to get around 275Mbit/s as someone here tested out!

Only problem being power to the SATA disk on MSATA to SATA adapter though :(

Great (and I've to admit that I really like answering random forum posts like this with hardware using superiour USB-to-SATA bridges)! Do you know something about availability and price already (which you're allowed to share)?

then copied the repo from github.com/fifteenhex/xradio and compiled the kernel with

Without the necessary device tree bits the SDIO WiFi card will remain 'invisible'. Just look through the thread, it has all been explained by dgp already.

Wow, seems like a great addon! Can we now potentialy get 4 disks: 2 via USB2.0, 1 via SATA and 1 via MSATA to SATA adapter?

To be honest, I've no idea how the 2 USB receptacles on the expansion board work since I don't spotted an USB hub somewhere on the PCB. My understanding is that the two USB host ports available on the 13-pin header are routed to the JMS578 controllers (each accompanied by a small SPI NOR flash for reasons unknown to me) but I've no idea how the two USB ports should work.

Regarding power I doubt you can reliably use more than 2 or 3 disks powered through an OPi Zero anyway... (those el cheapo 2.5" SATA disks usually  don't support staggered spin-up).

Edit: Since situation with mainline u-boot/kernel for H5 looks already really promising regarding "NAS use cases" (see details) I suggested another Zero type device to Steven: With H5 and Gigabit Ethernet. The upcoming Zero Plus 2 seems to not have any Ethernet at all but that's all just assumption based on looking at weird commits in a github repo somewhere)

To be honest, I've no idea how the 2 USB receptacles on the expansion board work since I don't spotted an USB hub somewhere on the PCB. My understanding is that the two USB host ports available on the 13-pin header are routed to the JMS578 controllers (each accompanied by a small SPI NOR flash for reasons unknown to me) but I've no idea how the two USB ports should work.

I'm trying to find datasheets and figure out signal tracing on that board. My guess for the NOR flash is that it stores the firmware for the state machines in the USBSATA bridges. This is a good thing because bugs in the converters can be fixed ith updates to that firmware. In other USB devices they often store a VID/PID value as well as other device info--serial number, etc.

If you could, would you be able to post higher res scans of the board? Please?

EDIT: Found a very quick summary datasheet. NOR is for VID/PID, no mention of firmware in it, *but* it also says that it has a utility for updating the firmware. Maybe it's just not stored on the NOR? Or, maybe it's 'lost in translation'. No sign of a hub/downstream USB port. I'm really curious how the USB ports and the USB/SATA adapters share the two USB signals off of the 1x13 pin connector.

Orange Pi Zero desperately needs a heat sink. It is running so hot. Xunlong should include it as an accessory while ordering OPZ on AliExpress.

Both my 512MB and 256MB units are barely warm to the touch after hours of use at 24C ambient. What kind of power supply are you using?