Nanopi NEO Powerconsumption in realworld

Theoretiker

Sorry to ask that, i know there are tons of powerconsumption-discuss an optimization, and tewaking but i got lost.

I just need to know how much Ampere a Nanopi NEO drains on fullload (4Cores), connnected with ethernet, no additional USB Hardware

in default (no special h3consumtion).

Especially boooting (i think armbian is throtteling on boot right?) is also very interessting.

I need to buy a Powersupply which is sufficient for 15 NanoPi Boards in min and max consumption.
Got very confused in reading the threads...

But it seems 5V/2A is just a "be save in every situation" thing, and i think there is a "window" of throtttled booting and full-load 4 Core...

So would be great to get a easy to understandable answer for min/max Amps on Armbian default on Nanooppi NEO (btw. 256MB) with Ethernet
on any case...

Would be great to get an answer. Thank you!

With best regards,
Chris

With Armbian legacy images NanoPi NEO will not exceed 2W during boot -- see http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1728-rfc-default-settings-for-nanopi-neoair/?p=14080

What happens then is up to you, if you allow 1200 MHz cpufreq, increase DRAM clockspeed and start heavy tasks then consumption will increase a lot. Just have a look through idle and full load differences for NEO (DRAM variations) and other H3 boards here and do the math yourself (and use h3consumption to set limits): http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1748-sbc-consumptionperformance-comparisons/

Important: Recent NEO PCB revisions use a different voltage regulator which seems to be responsible for both lower temperatures and lower consumption (same problem as with Raspberry A/B vs. A+/B+ -- by replacing LDO regulators with switching ones consumption decreased somewhat). In other words: I only have 4 NEOs (PCB rev 1.0) here so I can't provide numbers for current NEO PCB revisions. Feedback welcomed.

So would be great to get a easy to understandable answer for min/max Amps on Armbian default on Nanooppi NEO (btw. 256MB) with Ethernet

on any case...

In enterprises, when you install a new server with lots of disks, if you require the "advertised power supply" with full load and disks spin-up, then the electrician becomes crazy ...

I don't think there can be a max amps on Armbian or that it can be different of max amps with another OS. And if there is no clear response from manufacturer ...

If the problem is at startup with 15 boards, perhaps could you tweak uboot to put different delays for the boards. What has not been yet tested is the influence of Ethernet cable length (and I think you need very short cables). And in real case usage, I can compile on nanopi air powered threw usb by another board without crashing ...

I don't think there can be a max amps on Armbian or that it can be different of max amps with another OS ...

Armbian is different for sure since we're crazy enough to tweak/explore all those settings. This stuff is all about settings and those can be adjusted to specific needs. If you want to control consumption behavior it's 'only' about knowing which setting is responsible for what. Still WiP and at least me got bored in the meantime further improving this stuff.

Wow tkaiser, thank you!

That link is interessting and it looks to be the information i had a look for.

So "default maximum conssumption" is the maximum possible of a legacy armbian Image right?
2000mW so 400mA maximum on any case? Crazy... thought about 2 Amps... o.O

Just with the disadvantage of 33% Performanceloss, i think this is a good atttempt.

In my case i will run many threads which will get 100% usage on the SoC.

mmh, about booting... i can configure a parrameter which will slowdown the bootprocess...
thats great... so 15 different parameters will get me an the PSU safe it seems.

I have to dig further into that things it seems. I am a PHP Guy and have no deep knowledge on Linux or bootscripts a.s.o.
so it is a bit difficult to understand all that details.

Thank you for your very great work tkaiser... really great!

btw. i ordered also V1.0 ... but got now the heatsinks (1 Month later) and i have connected AWG20 wires to the debug port... a.s.o.

next step is to power that thing up... waiting since first posts on CNX... i want to see them work ...

Your information and work is worth a big THANK YOU!

Greetings
Chris

PS: Thank you Arox for answering, too.