Working HDMI output on 6.x kernel and RK3588 any time soon?

Endian

Anyone know the plans to get the HDMI outputs active on Rock 5B and the 6.x kernels?

I thought it was working on one 6.2rc2 build earlier but lately I have not been able to get any visuals out from Armbian builds using edge kernels.

Id be glad to try it. I heard that i should remove the image from the spi flash but do not know How to do that?

if i flash it with the efi image it falls back to booking from Emmc.

Edited by Endian

14.05.2023 в 09:42, Endian сказал:

if i flash it with the efi image it falls back to booking from Emmc.

The all EFI versions are NOT intended for installation on eMMC\NVMe, this is written in the specified topic.

17 hours ago, balbes150 said:

NOT intended for installation on eMMC\NVMe

I had flashed it to an sd card, but have a working armbian installation on the installed Emmc card. Do i need to remove the Emmc to boot it?

6 часов назад, Endian сказал:

but have a working armbian installation on the installed Emmc card

You did not specify which system is installed on eMMC (which image exactly, which u-boot), did not specify what is written in MTD\SPI. This all dramatically changes the behavior of the device when loading.

Not necessarily. It depends on what is on the eMMC. The order you described would work only if there is a boot loader on eMMC that checks for microSD presence and points there if found.

If however the boot loader on eMMC is dumb and doesn't care about other bootable devices it just runs through, which can be a big issue if the eMMC module cannot disabled or removed from the board.

I faced a similar issue long time ago when I had a pinebook pro in my collection.

The fixed boot order of rk3399 is SPI, eMMC, SD. RK3588 might be similar. This default behavior cannot be altered, only worked around by telling the boot loader, that is going to be flashed to SPI or eMMC, to look for microSD first.

58 минут назад, Endian сказал:

What should I flash into the SPI to boot the EFI builds?

Nothing. Everything you need is in the image. Just write to the SD card and run. Important - if a bootloader is installed in SPI\MTD, it must maintain the correct startup order, or it has been removed.

For reference, RK has three levels of startup order control

1. Hardware, you cannot change it (SPI\NOR\MTD, SD, eMMC).

2. The primary boot loader level (can be set when building u-boot).

3. The level of the "secondary" loader in the u-boot itself (can be set when building u-boot).

12 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

(SPI\NOR\MTD, SD, eMMC).

Are you sure about that? IIRC it was SPI, eMMC and microSD last.

See page 30 at https://www.t-firefly.com/download/Firefly-RK3399/docs/TRM/Rockchip RK3399TRM V1.3 Part1.pdf

I know this is for RK3399 but I assume Rockchip did not reconsider their boot order in the mean time?