NanoPI NEO AIR TIME AND WIFI

scargill

So I have installed Armbian on a number of boards in the past without real issue.

I'm currently installing the latest version (not nightly build or anything) on my new NanoPi NEO AIR.

A couple of points. Firstly - WIFI seems weak on the internal aerial - I set everything up on the serial port but once I used WINSCP - I note the terminal is slow - despite apt-get-update and other installs seeming to run pretty well. Secondly (and this has never happened before) it is now 7th of November early in the morning and my script for installing programs seemed to be running into issues until I realised the board time was set 6 days in the past (I only installed Armbian last night) - never had that happen. I changed the date mid-stream and all seems to be installing ok... it will be some time before the script is complete but looking ok up to now.

WiFi without antenna is week / barely usable ... but there is one thing which could make troubles - check if power management is enabled on wlan0 ... it should be disabled for best/normal performance.

The time problem can only be related to NTP (none of the cheap boards has a realtime clock) but since I never run into this issue I've no idea. Normally the first reboot after setting up network (did you use nmtui for that?) should fix that.

Regarding Wi-Fi there might be issues with power management. An 'h3consumption -w off' should fix that but we've one bug report where this doesn't work (see last posts in the large NEO / Air thread here)

WIFI seems weak on the internal aerial

Unless somebody can show it to me on some schematics, I would rather say there is no aerial at all and that people who sell that without the 10 cents piece of wire that make it usable are simply morons ...

WiFi without antenna is week / barely usable ... but there is one thing which could make troubles - check if power management is enabled on wlan0 ... it should be disabled for best/normal performance.

I've over read that no antenna is used. Sure, then Wi-Fi will not work reliably even when the AP is just 1m away... 

Regarding power management we've a mechanism implemented (/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/99disable-power-management) that obviously doesn't work (script gets executed but settings don't change). I've had success delaying the power management call a bit by modifying line 2 in the following way:

up) (sleep 60 && /sbin/iwconfig $1 power off) & ;;

Will now try how low the delay can be set.

I've had success delaying the power management call a bit by modifying line 2 in the following way:

up) (sleep 60 && /sbin/iwconfig $1 power off) & ;;

Will now try how low the delay can be set.

15 seconds seems to be save, let's wait for more feedback: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/issues/536#issuecomment-258765831

@Pete: I hope you use Wi-Fi in a non anachronistic way with Armbian? That means using nmtui  UI and let network-manager take care of your Wi-Fi connections (reconnect in case AP got out of reach, setting routes accordingly, deal with more than one SSID or more than Wi-Fi interface and so on)