Armbian for OrangePi PC2, AllWinner H5

Christos

I just downloaded and installed ubuntu_Desktop_Xenial_xfce4_PC2_V1_0_0.img

This worked really well.

I just dd if=Ubuntu_Desktop_Xenial_xfce4_PC2_V1_0_0.img | pv | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb bs=16M

to a 16mb sd card and it worked.

Booted OP PC2 up and it said welcome to Ubuntu.

Username orangepi

Password orangepi

It looks amazing.

already has Samba install.

I installed Kodi and VLC but neither will play network videos properly.

I think this is a great start for the OP PC2 and I look forward to the next update.

Yeah, it's somewhat usable. But thats pretty much it.

Sadly with the Orange Pi Image it has already overheated. I have added a small heat sink to the H5 CPU and the two Ram chips.

I cannot find a command that will tell me the CPU speed og the processor running the Orange Pi image.

Sadly with the Orange Pi Image it has already overheated. I have added a small heat sink to the H5 CPU and the two Ram chips.

I cannot find a command that will tell me the CPU speed og the processor running the Orange Pi image.

Install xfce4-cpufreq-plugin, it will show current frequency in the panel.

I already invited the Xunlong guy to become part of linux-sunxi community (something a bit hard given the amount of rude comments regarding vendor software offerings) and I really hope he joins. Since then it's maybe just a little dialogue between him and longsleep and the other guys to fix things.

People like jemk, longsleep, jernej and other linux-sunxi are rare with their patient, set of skills and knowledge, they resemble me steve wozniak when he used to write binary code in order to operate the mos 6502 (he didn't had any compilers back then).

and quite frankly I don't think the chinese buddy got the knowledge or the same principles like the guys mentioned above, he probably some kind of spaghetti-code-generator freelancer that getting payed for images       

Hello everyone,

I just got my Orange Pi PC2 board with Allwinner H5.

I tried the Ubuntu Xenial with xfce 1.0 "official" image and I realized it isn't quite ready yet, nor it has kernel support for NFS.

So here I am, willing to put my board at the service of this community to help building a working armbian image for it :-)

I am not new to linux and compiling, but I am new at image building and kernel compiling.

Where do I start?

How can I help you?

Thanks

Where do I start?

You can start with reading through this topic, especially the second page. Everything was already explained: where is the SDK, what needs to be done, what can be used as a reference. Keep in mind this requires some specific knowledge, skills and some motivation to spend time on this.

Or you can start by waiting for mainline support - you don't need to do anything for it, just check https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort periodically and wait

Hi, I got my Orange Pi PC2 last week and powered it up today.

I took the current official image, hooked it up to my workbench power supply and nothing happen.

The power supply is configured to 5V with 3A output and the orange pi drain around 1.5A but the led's don't turn on.

I took the shematics and checked the voltage regulatator and they get all wrong from the start.

Power supply output 4.97-5.02V

orange pi internal 5V = ~4.7V

3.3V = 3.1V

1.1V = 1V

1.2V = 1V

2.5V = 2.3V

I also put an passive cooler on top with thermal glue to get sure it's not a thermal throttle issue but got the same numbers.

As it seems to be that other people get their boards running I think that mine is a broken one :(

Hi, I got my Orange Pi PC2 last week and powered it up today.

I took the current official image, hooked it up to my workbench power supply and nothing happen.

The power supply is configured to 5V with 3A output and the orange pi drain around 1.5A but the led's don't turn on.

I took the shematics and checked the voltage regulatator and they get all wrong from the start.

Power supply output 4.97-5.02V

orange pi internal 5V = ~4.7V

3.3V = 3.1V

1.1V = 1V

1.2V = 1V

2.5V = 2.3V

I also put an passive cooler on top with thermal glue to get sure it's not a thermal throttle issue but got the same numbers.

As it seems to be that other people get their boards running I think that mine is a broken one :(

I have had a heap of Orange Pi's and they all need more than 5 volts. I usually use a USB type charge power supply. Take the risk and try 5.3 volts and see if it starts.

Just did some tests seeing at what core voltage the board is able to function using Linpack to determine if there appear any errors when running at these speed/voltage combinations.
Here is the log:
http://pastebin.com/0z3FhfkU

The maximum core frequency my board is able to function is: 1368 MHz but it needs at the very least 1380 mV, at 1370mV it fails the Linpack benchmark test. You need a good cooling solution if you want to run these speeds. I needed to add a heatsink plus a large airflow using a tunnel with 3 4x4x4cm High speed fans.

If you compare these findings with the recommendations there appears to be some room for improvement:

; lv1: core vdd is 1.30v if cpu frequency is (1104Mhz, 1152Mhz]
; lv2: core vdd is 1.26v if cpu frequency is (1008Mhz, 1104Mhz]
; lv3: core vdd is 1.20v if cpu frequency is (816Mhz, 1008Mhz]
; lv4: core vdd is 1.10v if cpu frequency is (648Mhz, 816Mhz]
; lv5: core vdd is 1.04v if cpu frequency is (480Mhz, 648Mhz]

I hope this information will help in creating an optimal DVFS table for the OrangePI PC2.

This is my first suggestion for a DVFS table for the H5.

&cpu0 {
        operating-points = <
                /* kHz    uV */
                1368000 1400000
                1344000 1400000
                1296000 1340000
                1248000 1280000
                1224000 1260000
                1200000 1240000
                1152000 1200000
                1104000 1170000
                1080000 1160000
                1056000 1150000
                1008000 1100000
                960000  1080000
                936000  1060000
                816000  1000000
                792000  1000000
                648000  970000
                480000  940000
                240000  940000
                120000  940000
                >;
         #cooling-cells = <0x2>;
         cooling-min-level = <0x0>;
         cooling-max-level = <0x13>;
}

I've taken the lowest working voltage and added 40mV to add margin for higher temperatures and fluctuations in the soc's/ boards.

When running test loads on the DVFS using xhpl and comparing these with the settings that I mentioned above using the performance governor I get the following result:

================================================================================
T/V                N    NB     P     Q               Time                 Gflops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WR02R2L2       10240   256     1     1             285.51              2.508e+00

Using the Allwinner settings:

================================================================================
T/V                N    NB     P     Q               Time                 Gflops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WR02R2L2       10240   256     1     1             314.57              2.276e+00

I've logged the temperature and the cpu frequency for both settings and giving me the following chart:

XX6onAHl.png

I didn't apply forced cooling but only passive cooling using a heatsink.

There still is quite a bit room for improvement, since the throttling kicks in hard, which doesn't seem correct. But it's a good start.

Orange Pi needs to sort out the PC2 H5 issues very quickly. To issue a board with fundamental failing ie can not play Video is unbelieveable.

I had such a great experience with my Orange Pi PC H3 but the Orange Pi PC2 H5 is a disaster.

If you are thinking of buying a Orange Pi PC2 absolutely hold off untill Orange Pi and Allwinner come up with the software to make it work properly.

Another OPi PC2 owner in a quest to help bring decent Linux to this board!!!

• My experience with the android image:  ps.: wainting for other images...or trying to know how to build one! 
  • could play hi10p video full speed with garbage artefacts;
  • HEVC 8bit low quality run well, 4k video formats with HDR dont play,
  • only simple 3D games actually run so cannot comment on GPU besides polygons are shown;  

Most of the time thermal hotspot is in the microsd slot, the SoC runs warm with a low speed fan blowing above the board without heatsink. But at shutdown is cold in seconds! Runs pretty well in <= HDMI 720p 50/60/ but  >1080p24 is slow to a crawl!

Debug options for gpu or hardware overlay doesnt show any traces, so entire render is on cpu. Then load averages of ~4 to 10 is well within reason.  Many crashes and  memory kills even with 640 MB free memory.  (were is GPU/VPU reserve? usually there is way less available memory)  Stability checker gave 300MFlops,  gpu run +50fps with some drops to 7fps.

also i could copy 3 files named:  tv_vfid.fex, disp_margin.fex,  only 0 in both.      disp_rsl.fex has:  20b 0 0 0

Orange PI PC 2 with Allwinner H5 CPU is widely avalaible in Germany and Poland. Wrong info.: Only android 5.1 is working on it. Avalaible is Ubuntu XFCE, but it has no support ( for egzample how to change screen resolution how to change from hdmi to dvi, no support for pulseaudio itd ). Other ISO avalaible only via BAIDU but someone without chaneesee keyboard cannot download it.

I bought it in Poland via internet and installed Android. Board is operating very quickly. CPU stays cool.  When can i expected ARMBIAN for H5???? :) :) :)  I must say that Armbian is clutching and straws for Orange PI... They have no intrest to deliver one working operating system.

Edited by zador.blood.stained
Merged here. Still not deleting posts containing "when will be ready" questins, but maybe I should start to do it