11 11
masteripper

Armbian for Amlogic S802/S812

Added the image of Armbian Bionic Mate. There are bugs in this image. You need to manually add the panel "Mate Bar".

If the sound does not work correctly , you need to remove the "pulseaudio" packages.

Hi,

I have a (very old) K200 (AML S802) device. I've got it to boot the Ubuntu Bionic Server image found here (mantained by @balbes150): https://yadi.sk/d/wc2jqGsHuKy48/Armbian/5.44. The image comes with some DTBs, but none of them are for K200. However, the one for K200B 1G SDIO eMMC mostly works. I have working HDMI with no overlay and wired networking works. So far, I've only found two issues:

- Wi-Fi doesn't work (not a great deal for my purposes anyway).

- For some reason, U-boot just kind of freezes if the HDMI output is notconnected.

Is the DTB file I'm using causing this? If so, where can I get a proper one (I have searched but not found anything). Thanks!

Edit: I've studied this a bit further and learned to extract dtbs from the stock Android image. This did help with a few other problems that I had (1G of RAM wasn't being detected, etc), but the HDMI-during-boot and Wi-Fi issues still persist. Suposedly, this means that the dtb isn't the source of the problems, since I am using the stock one, right?

Edited by 3442

There are 3 different wifi chips , you have to load the right driver module at startup  ( Ubuntu ; modprobe.d/blacklist.conf ) ; but that thats only half the way , setting up the nmcli or other network tools will also be difficult ( i had big problem with ntp-Service after 3 reinstalled Image it works for me)

1 hour ago, 3442 said:

- Wi-Fi doesn't work (not a great deal for my purposes anyway).

We should try to load the module manually. Details are in the first message in the topic about s905.

1 hour ago, 3442 said:

- For some reason, U-boot just kind of freezes if the HDMI output is notconnected.

Perhaps the reason for the survey is the core of existence connected HDMI.

1 hour ago, 3442 said:

Suposedly, this means that the dtb isn't the source of the problems, since I am using the stock one, right? 

I think the reason is not dtb. Can you connect your UART console to the TV box ? This will allow you to see the entire startup process from the beginning of u-boot and can help in tests with kernel 4.x.

11 hours ago, balbes150 said:

We should try to load the module manually. Details are in the first message in the topic about s905.

Thanks, that worked!

Perhaps the reason for the survey is the core of existence connected HDMI.

I think the reason is not dtb. Can you connect your UART console to the TV box ? This will allow you to see the entire startup process from the beginning of u-boot and can help in tests with kernel 4.x.

I don't have any UART adapter. However, I have some microcontrollers which I might use as ad-hoc converters. I found a 4-pin header in the box, which I suspect is the UART, but I cannot find any labels indicating which one is Tx, Rx, GND, etc... (I am a bit visually impaired, so maybe I'm not seeing them).

Thanks a lot for your amazing work and help!

I attached some images of my board to this post. By the way, I attempted  to run /root/install.sh and everything but the last step succeeded (fw_setenv fails with 'invalid argument"). If I attempt to reboot into the system partition I get a black screen. I guess this is another thing for which I need UART, no?

9082.jpg

9087.jpg

Usually in the UART connector the extreme pins are "ground" (usually it has a square contact pad, look at the back of the connector, what kind of pads) and VCC power (this pin is not used to connect the UART). You can check with the tester which contact is connected to the ground and use it to connect the GRN. Two internal contacts are Tx and Rx, they can be swapped (if there is no output to the console). Yes, you will need the console to debug the installation into the internal memory.

Usually in the UART connector the extreme pins are "ground" (usually it has a square contact pad, look at the back of the connector, what kind of pads) and VCC power (this pin is not used to connect the UART). You can check with the tester which contact is connected to the ground and use it to connect the GRN. Two internal contacts are Tx and Rx, they can be swapped (if there is no output to the console). Yes, you will need the console to debug the installation into the internal memory.

I have identified the pins with a multimeter as you suggested. Tomorrow I will attempt to read the boot log using an Orange Pi and will report the results. Again, thanks for your help!

Hi, sorry for the delay. It seems that the board I was going to use for UART died, so it seems that I'll have to wait until I get UART cable to debug my boot issues.

I installed the system on S812,1G ram, 100 M lan, found the system could boot only the system connected to HDMI connector and must power on TV or AV receiver, otherwise the system can not boot at all, here I didn't connect UART to PC, so I didn't record log right now.  could I change or modify some parameter in system to avoid this kind of condition?

thanks!

8 hours ago, john123 said:

I installed the system on S812,1G ram, 100 M lan, found the system could boot only the system connected to HDMI connector and must power on TV or AV receiver, otherwise the system can not boot at all, here I didn't connect UART to PC, so I didn't record log right now.  could I change or modify some parameter in system to avoid this kind of condition?

Without the console UART is difficult to understand what point the system stops (what to fix). You can try to disable the processing of the monitor activation script. Connect the media from Armbian to a PC with Linux, mount the ROOTFS partition and disable the "hdmi" service.