Armbian for Amlogic S805 and S802/S812

masteripper

4 hours ago, RaptorSDS said:

@obaldon1

read about sideload and fastboot over adb in Android Debug USB or 3e Reovery  , get TWRP Running and install aml_script.zip from TWRP , maybe root your android

I still do not understand any of this. Are there step-by-step instructions on how to boot Armbian on g18ref? Which files do I need to d/l for this and which steps do I need to take? I tried to read about TWRP but it consists mostly of acronyms that I do not understand.

4 hours ago, RaptorSDS said:

!! and please do not brick your box !!

At this point I am close to tossing it back into the pile of aluminum scrap at my recycling business. This is where it came from. It's already wasted about 30 hours of my time with no prospect of success anywhere close. I do not event understand why anyone bothers with Linux on these Amlogic boards, considering the amount of effort and torture that it takes. For me, it's been nothing but torture and frustration instead of fun that it was supposed to be. I watched youtube vids of a fellow who used a toothpick and had Armbian running in minutes after enabling multiboot. What can be so different with my device that it does not accept any of the aml_autoscript files?

20 minutes ago, obaldon1 said:

It's already wasted about 30 hours of my time with no prospect of success anywhere close.

If you learned anything at all, the time was not wasted.

I understand your frustration.  We have all been there.  Respectfully I would submit to you that those who make it look easy ("toothpick guy" for instance), are likely on the far side of much more than 30 hours of tinkering.  Perhaps even up to a lifetime worth.

If you have an interest in these SBC (or any tech, really), be more patient with yourself.  Results will eventually come if you put in the time.  But you will have to read, potentially a lot.  It's not for everybody.

Or maybe a different board will be easier to achieve early success with (I don't know this particular board).  But in general, what I have read on forums is there are so many "random TV boxes" it is absolutely impossible to support them all.  Read more threads, look for a known supported device, and then purchase that.  Even better, use Armbian Supported Devices list as a starting point for any purchases (if you want a much easier experience).

Good luck.  I know it can be frustrating.  Take a step back, take a break maybe, try and enjoy the journey.

Hey guys I don't always boot into armbian successfully.

I use the s8xx build, with meson8b-ec100 dtb.

My device is s805 1gb ram called HTV3.

I can successfully boot into armbian only about 60% of the time.

The other 40% of the time I get stuck in a loop:

[ seconds ] dwc2 c90c0000.usb: Mode Mismatch Interrupt: currently in Host mode

Anyone can help please?

@AzuriAdore looks like timing problem at init at boot ( maybe usb host did not get right shutdown) thats why somethig thinks get deactivate with newer kernel first and than after test and beta back online

thanks for a guide for docker

@obaldon1sorry to hear that you frustrated , my first device for flash was a windows CE->XDA 1 , there is no step by step instruction because every android device is diifferent some have more secure features like software fuse and secure bootloader other have only non root user ,  but like azuriadore say you learn something in the 30h.

please dont waste your box ,

also please notice this is still a hack of a device someparts are still beta and not stable ,

also please notice this is not a windows device where your put your usb stick and one-click installer say hello i am windows installer , many things are still by adb-console and input commands into a black window

do you have a pc connection to your device ?

@TRS-80 I've been a Netware, QNX, Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows sysadmin and developer for close to 25 years. I've installed, retired, scrapped, and recycled literally tons of hardware between 1989 and now. I've pulled literally miles of TP. If I learned something about a piece of garbage that just outright refuses to work after 30 hours wasted, it is a loss of about $2K for me. This is how much this box now costs me. I've already imaged the card back to Raspbian and am typing this from the Pi after the total investment of 5 min of time. Until this project has at least some documentation that works, it will unlikely find many followers. Yes, I was very enthusiastic about having Linux on another device, but I have to issue a stop-loss order. I am still very hopeful of ever running Linux desktop on my other media box Motorola Arris with Broadcom dual core MIPS CPU and 2x SATA ports but it looks like there isn't any distro that supports it. Too bad because it is miles ahead of Amlogic MX2 in terms of storage and graphics performance. Yes, it needs some soldering to get USB ports to work but it is a matter of adding 4x diodes and resistors.

@RaptorSDS What do you mean by PC connection? A JTAG, SSH over ethernet, or anything else?

@obaldon1 its very bad to lose someone with sysadmin and devolpment experince , yes Android root , fastboot and sideload is really mix of documents and also this thread is more mix with problems , weak solutions and links and not that one document from a over b to c

i mean a usb rsr232 debug connection ,  or i think it was possible with android usb debug mode ( Devolper menu) that one usb port was maybe also a adb-port in android or 3e-recovery then you can sideload a recovery.img from PC  temporary and than from this to flash the zip buts its long ago ( 4 years now that done this to my box ) normaly i work with android phones

5 hours ago, obaldon1 said:

@TRS-80 I'm a level 50 supreme wizard

And yet, none of that was helpful in getting your device to work, was it?  I was trying to tell you, these little devices are a whole another kettle of fish.  But you don't seem to want to listen.

Until this project has at least some documentation that works

There are quite a lot of quite good docs at https://docs.armbian.com.  Judging from some of the things you have said, I am not sure you have read (or perhaps just not absorbed) them.

First and foremost, your device is not even supported.[0]  And therefore has nothing to do with "this project" but rather the kindness of some community members (mostly balbes150) who decide to create and release such "community" (i.e., not officially supported) images.

30 hours wasted, it is a loss of about $2K for me

If your time is worth so much, why are you picking random devices out from recycling and trying to get them to work?

Do you think you are the only one who's time is valuable?  What about all the people who try and help you, the devs, all others involved?  What about their time?  And yet it's not enough for you.  I am not sure what you expect but from my point of view at the moment, it seems quite entitled.

[0] I did not read everything, only back far enough to see you mention something about downloading Aml-s812 and we are in TV box section, after all.

ATV1200 g18ref meson6 the only image I can load is: Volumio2.692-2019-12-29-amlg02ref.img

It has kernel 3.10 and docker can't run on kernel 3.1.xxx

Here is the debug:

Bus Width: 4-bit
reading factory_update_param.ubt

623 bytes read
## Executing script at 82000000
Device: SDIO Port B
Manufacturer ID: 0
OEM: 0
Name: Tran Speed: 20000000
Rd Block Len: 512
SD version 2.0
High Capacity: Yes
Capacity: 8057257984
Boot Part Size: 0
reading uImage

3468486 bytes read
reading uInitrd

28178297 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.10.108
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3468422 Bytes = 3.3 MiB

For any other image  I get this or similar: (this is from image: Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Ubuntu_bionic_default_3.10.108_20190326 )

It does not come to point of loading kernel ?!

reading factory_update_param.ubt

1098 bytes read
## Executing script at 82000000
Using default environment

Saving Environment to SPI Flash...
Erasing SPI flash...spi_claim_bus: bus:0 cs:0
Erase:0
Erase:1000
Erase:2000
Erase:3000
Erase:4000
Erase:5000
Erase:6000
Erase:7000
spi_release_bus: bus:0 cs:0
Writing to SPI flash...spi_claim_bus: bus:0 cs:0
spi_release_bus: bus:0 cs:0
done
resetting ...
EEEE I3000000032940xf300110303;77520EEEE I400000004294_M6_BL1_3431>2534313▒
chip type = MX
ddr type = 256*8*4 1G

DDR clock is 504MHz with 1T mode

I have tried over 15 images with similar debug output...

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

brajomobil

Edited by brajomobil

13 hours ago, RaptorSDS said:

@AzuriAdore looks like timing problem at init at boot ( maybe usb host did not get right shutdown) thats why somethig thinks get deactivate with newer kernel first and than after test and beta back online

thanks for a guide for docker

Hmm okay then, looks like I don't have boot issues when all my USB ports are unplugged so that's okay. I plan to keep my device headless and just using an SD card. You're welcome for the docker guide

1 hour ago, brajomobil said:

I have tried over 15 images with similar debug output...

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

brajomobil

Your device is meson6 (from what i see),

I don't know if this armbian supports meson6

Maybe it doesn't work because this armbian is for meson8?

s805,802 and s812 is meson8

Try finding another image?

You can try using your Volumio image, and manually build newer linux kernel if you can find the source code but this would be hard i think.

Inside dtb folder of s8xx images there is 

meson6-atv1200.dtb files. 

That is for my box. But it is not working.

I asked for someone to confirm that image s8xx can work on my box.

Tried many volumio and LE images made by balbes150 non of them can my box boot.

It is old box I konw but I have hard time parting from it.

Best regards,

brajomobil

2 minutes ago, brajomobil said:

Inside dtb folder of s8xx images there is 

meson6-atv1200.dtb files. 

That is for my box. But it is not working.

I asked for someone to confirm that image s8xx can work on my box.

Tried many volumio and LE images made by balbes150 non of them can my box boot.

It is old box I konw but I have hard time parting from it.

Best regards,

brajomobil

Ok, I wasn't sure if meson6 was supported.

Sorry I don't have a meson6 box and cannot help much.

1 minute ago, brajomobil said:

You helped with docker. I will need it when/if I boot my box.

Thank you.

Best regards,

brajomobil

My docker guide should only work for the people who use balbes150's s8xx build, so maybe in the future may not apply for you. I hope for the best for your box

On 11/18/2020 at 12:36 PM, TRS-80 said:

but rather the kindness of some community members (mostly balbes150) who decide to create and release such "community" (i.e., not officially supported) images.

Precisely! I've read about anything that balbes150 has written. It consists of google-translated one-liners mostly, and if full of specialized lingo that I do not understand. He wrote quite a bit about g18ref board, but eventually I found one of the posts where he has cut off everyone like me with older hardware and said that our questions will not be answered and instead he will delete them. Huh?

If your time is worth so much, why are you picking random devices out from recycling and trying to get them to work?

Since you make this sound accusatory, I will respond just once: I do this out of sheer kindness and love of our fragile environment. I am trying to reroute from scrap as much computer hardware as I possibly can. This is the purpose of my 2nd recycling business, and I've been doing for more than a decade, having recovered hundreds of devices of which many still work productively for customers who paid close to zero for an opportunity to have internet access, email, word processing, etc. Most of them run either Linux or FreeBSD. As to exotic devices like this, I often do it for the fun of proving that Linux can run almost anywhere. But my charity is not bottomless, and at some point I have to cut the line.

I am not sure you have read (or perhaps just not absorbed) them.

If you can point me at a section that provides working instructions for enabling multiboot on a g18ref board, I will be eternally grateful.

I have given up trying to boot armbian s8xx on atv1200 meson6. Instead decided to install octoprint on the box.

After 5 days managed to install octoprint 1.3.12 on Volumio2.692-2019-12-29-amlg02ref.img  and my ender3 is working stable on it.

My other armbian box s905 with docker is now free for something else.

Can someone help in making boot from SD without "toothpick" . I am having trouble understanding uboot script

This is the aml_autoscript from Volumio2.692-2019-12-29-amlg02ref.img (it has to be changed to: factory_update_param.ubt for box to boot fom SD)

setenv kernel_addr "0x82000000"
setenv initrd_addr "0x83000000"
setenv boot_start "bootm ${kernel_addr} ${initrd_addr}"
setenv bootargs "root=/dev/ram0 rdinit=/init imgpart=LABEL=volumio imgfile=/volumio_current.sqsh bootpart=LABEL=BOOT datapart=LABEL=volumio_data hwdevice=amlg02ref rootwait rw console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 mac=00:00:dd:6a:6b:c0 logo=osd1,0x84100000,720p"
if mmcinfo 0; then if fatload mmc 0 ${kernel_addr} uImage; then if fatload mmc 0 ${initrd_addr} uInitrd; then run boot_start; fi;fi;fi;

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

brajomobil

On 11/21/2020 at 1:10 PM, obaldon1 said:

I will respond just once: I do this out of sheer kindness and love of our fragile environment. I am trying to reroute from scrap as much computer hardware as I possibly can. This is the purpose of my 2nd recycling business, and I've been doing for more than a decade, having recovered hundreds of devices of which many still work productively for customers who paid close to zero for an opportunity to have internet access, email, word processing, etc. Most of them run either Linux or FreeBSD. As to exotic devices like this, I often do it for the fun of proving that Linux can run almost anywhere. But my charity is not bottomless, and at some point I have to cut the line.

Well, that is certainly a noble endeavor.  And since it sounds like you are in a position where you may come across more of such devices, I will try and give you some helpful advice (below).

On 11/21/2020 at 1:10 PM, obaldon1 said:

If you can point me at a section that provides working instructions for enabling multiboot on a g18ref board, I will be eternally grateful.

This is also related to what I have been trying to convey all along.  Honestly it seems as we have been talking past each other a bit.  When I said (essentially) "read the docs" I was referring mostly to What is supported? (and also, I already linked to Armbian Supported Devices list at least once IIRC).  In other words, these devices are not supported.  And there are many such unsupported devices.  Therefore trying to do anything with such devices is almost certain to be a time suck (and this is what my comment re: your time was about, not to be accusatory).  I also wanted to make the point that this has nothing to do with Armbian proper, as with Supported Devices you would (generally) be having a much more pleasant and straightforward experience -- which was also what I was referring to when saying it seems you missed reading or absorbing the docs (well, at least that part of them).

The underlying reasons for this are many, but mainly boil down to the fact that Armbian is a community project with no company behind it, business model, etc. and therefore limited resources.  And there are so many devices out there (most especially, TV Boxes, which is also why they have their own separate "club" area here), each with their own peculiarities.  Even what seem to be similar devices can have weird little quirks, etc.  All of which require development time to figure out, document, get working, etc.  And therefore getting them working at all is going to be quite difficult for anyone except those who are very well versed in such things.  Much less something slightly "advanced" like getting multiboot to work properly.  In any case, it requires time, which (based on your comments) you seemed to be either unwilling or unable to invest any more of at some point.  But as you seem to still be searching for some way to make it work, I will offer the following (general) advice, as unfortunately I don't know much about TV Boxes in general, much less this particular board and feature.

I am sure you have probably tried already: searching the Internet, these forums, etc...  Beyond that, you could try making a separate thread specifically about multibooting.  But to really get that working I suspect you would need to dig into the boot process for this device and then try and figure something out.  As I mentioned already, I personally do not know much about this particular device.  But maybe someone else does which is why we provide the TV Boxes "club" as an area for like minded people to try and help each other out, even though these devices are not officially supported in any way by Armbian itself.

I can appreciate that you may not have the time for what is essentially development of a new feature (multiboot).  But if you make a separate thread about that, and share what you learned so far, maybe someone else comes along and helps out.  It may be months, years later, or even never.  But such is the nature of this kind of development, and maybe now you may start to appreciate that this process has been going on already for years here at Armbian, and is the only reason we have any Nice Things(TM) at all in the first place (i.e., Supported Devices) to coalesce some forums and a community around.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck.

2 hours ago, voron said:

Amlogic S805 

Please upload the link to the working Armbian with the driver rtl8723bs ? Help !

Please read the post 'Please Read First' for expectations around what to expect on the TV Box forums.  As it relates to your question, please do not expect to get wifi working on your TV Box.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb voron:

Amlogic S805 

Please upload the link to the working Armbian with the driver rtl8723bs ? Help !

all image the old armbian 5.xx with 3.xx Kernel and also the many(all 20.1x)  new image 20.xx with 5.xx have the rtl8723bs driver inside , but the different kind of the S8xx  chipset and s9xx  chipset box make it hard to have the right pin for the right board with the right wififchip ( some information the s812 has 3 different wifi chips ap6330 rtl8723bs and a third one = hard to tell wich M8S label box has wich wifi chip )

next think is that the dtb ( that is the files that descripte the box) has change from 3.xx kernel to 5.xx kernel because 5.xx kernel are useable for a wide area of devices (some Information the 3.xx kernel dtb file has possible to set  3 state (high, low ...) of a pin the new kernel i thing 5 state ( high , low , low activ, high activ ....)   )

so we need more information about your box ( we have S805 +rt8723bs

like : wich old kernel work with wifi , wich pin is for wifi enable from old 3.xx kernel dtb  , wich dtb from 5.xx kernel work now and so on

Edited by RaptorSDS

vor einer Stunde schrieb g00n:

Hey, I have an old ARMADA MACH 8 / Amlogic S802 box, how do I flash ARMBIAN on it?

first active multiboot ( maybe root or change of recovery image need)

next write image on sd-card

next chose dtb files maybe you have search/test for right one

boot the image from sdcard