Armbian for Amlogic S805 and S802/S812

masteripper

On 1/6/2021 at 6:40 PM, balbes150 said:

Ver 20210105

Hi Balbes150, do you have plan to combine Bionic with 5.11 kernel? I prefer Bionic for some reasons. I can boot successfully with focal, bullseyes on 5.11 RC1 but not bionic or buster on 5.10. my box is minix x8h-plus.

Edited by hungtnt

hi i am using latest Armbian (kernel 5.11) on tvbox MXIII-plus. the system works and works very well. Armbian system on sdcard and connected usb hdd (power supply of the disk separately from the TV box). Mount disk and local work very well. Install the samba server and configure it. I can access the samba from the Windows machine, the directories are opened well, but if I start to read or write the file, a speed of 10-300kb / s appears and after some time a network error appears on the Windows machine. At the same time, the load of the TV box on the processor is minimal, the memory is occupied by 100MB of 2 gigabytes. I tried to log in from other machines, Linux, Android and Windows, the behavior is similar.

My problem is hardware. I disconnected the docking station with a hard drive and connected a regular ssd via a Chinese adapter and I was able to write at normal speed but not read. Then I took and instead of a SD card I wrote an image on this ssd disk. The system began to read and write through the samba, but sometimes the processes simply disappeared and everything related to the samba froze. I opened the tv box and added capacitors to the power system. But I still get a samba roll off at the time of reading. When measuring the input power, I received 5V, and at the USB output, 4.7-8V. The last thing I did, I tweaked the power supply to deliver 5.4V instead of the standard 5V. Now I have a USB 5.1-2B output and so far I do not see that the samba would hang.

This is an incomprehensible problem for me.
1. I put the system on an SD card and connect an external hdd 320gb - the samba does not work
2. I put the system on an SSD via a SATA-USB adapter and
I connect an external hard drive for 320 GB and the samba works.
3. I put the system on an SSD via a SATA-USB adapter and the samba works
4. I put the system on a 320GB hard drive via SATA to USB adapter and plug in a 1TB external hard drive and samba works.
5. I put the system on a 1TB hard drive via a SATA-USB adapter and the samba does not work

On the options that samba does not work, at the start of the download, I see in htop how samba processes are started and immediately disappear. The processes that started at the start of the samba remain visible in htop

Hi folks,

I have a S82 Box (S802 SOC with a Mali-450) which I am currently trying to update from Kernel 3.x to 5.x (e.g. Armbian_21.02.0-trunk_Aml-s812_bullseye_current_5.10.0_.img.xz).

I had troubles to boot (crashing), hence I had to disable the gpu:

gpu@c0000 { compatible = "amlogic,meson8-mali\0arm,mali-450"; reg = <0xc0000 0x40000>; interrupts = <0x00 0xa0 0x04 0x00 0xa1 0x04 0x00 0xa2 0x04 0x00 0xa3 0x04 0x00 0xa4 0x04 0x00 0xa5 0x04 0x00 0xa6 0x04 0x00 0xa7 0x04 0x00 0xa8 0x04 0x00 0xa9 0x04 0x00 0xac 0x04 0x00 0xad 0x04 0x00 0xae 0x04 0x00 0xaf 0x04 0x00 0xb0 0x04 0x00 0xb1 0x04>; interrupt-names = "gp\0gpmmu\0pp\0pmu\0pp0\0ppmmu0\0pp1\0ppmmu1\0pp2\0ppmmu2\0pp4\0ppmmu4\0pp5\0ppmmu5\0pp6\0ppmmu6"; resets = <0x07 0x4e>; clocks = <0x05 0x0a 0x05 0x0b>; clock-names = "bus\0core"; operating-points-v2 = <0x24>; #cooling-cells = <0x02>; phandle = <0x21>; status = "disabled"; };

(added: status = "disabled"; )

But now I am stuck at this point (full log attached):

[    3.126869] Run /init as init process
[    3.414122] rtc-pcf8563 0-0051: pcf8563_write_block_data: err=-6 addr=0e, data=03
[    3.416049] rtc-pcf8563 0-0051: pcf8563_probe: write error
[    3.422324] rtc-pcf8563: probe of 0-0051 failed with error -5

I do not care about GPU support, even Wifi is not that important. Planning to use this old device to run octoprint for my 3d printer.

I *think* that I may encounter two issues at once:

1. There is no reserved memory range like with the old dtb, hence the GPU crashes?
2. I do not see any messages regarding mmcblk0 or similar, hence it stalls on init as the fs is missing (usually this should lead to a panic)?

I've spent 10h on this, but at this point I am clueless, help is highly appreciated. 

working_dtb_on_3.x_kernel.dts uart_log.txt meson8-minix-neo-x8_disabled_gpu.dts

@menelike Have you tried to install a clean copy of a build with a mainline kernel to see if that works on you box?  My recommendation would be to perform a clean install and then migrate over anything you need from the old 3.x kernel based install.  There is no upgrade path for what you are trying to do, so many things have changed overtime that I wouldn't be confident that you will ever end up with a stable environment.

@SteeMan

Thanks for your response. I am not sure what you mean with "clean copy", but  Kernel 3.x runs perfectly fine on the device. I just wanted to upgrade debian from stretch to bullseye because of missing/outdated debian packages.

But I think that you're correct, there is no upgrade path. 😪

Luckily I had a H96 Pro H3 with a S905x which I managed to run the bullseye on.

from where do you have the dts file for 5.10 Kernel ? what happen if you also disable RTC clock , its also possible thats  i2c problem because pcf8563 has i2c interface

for GPU is normal to have no reserve memory because strucktur of dts / dtso are now

--> kernel / main chipset/ chipset / devices

like my my m8s

-->kernel 5.xx / meson.dts / menson8.dts / menso8m2_m8s.dtso

the reserve memory can also be descripte in menson.dts

By clean copy I mean a fresh install of:

20 hours ago, menelike said:

Armbian_21.02.0-trunk_Aml-s812_bullseye_current_5.10.0_.img.xz

I am assuming you are running from SD card, so install the build on a different SD card and see how well your box works with a recent build/kernel.  Once you have established a baseline of a working 5.10 environment then you can decide how you can get the box to have what you want on it by moving data between your old SD card and new SD card.

from where do you have the dts file for 5.10 Kernel ?

@RaptorSDS I decrypted the dtb which I found from at /boot/meson8-minix-neo-x8.dtb after I installed the release to the sdcard. 

@SteeMan Thanks for the hint, already tried that, always used a fresh install (several verions tried) since I can't boot into the system anyway it never becomes dirty ;)

@menelike So if I understand your posts correctly, you have a working environment with a legacy 3.x kernel.  You are looking for something newer.  So you tried a current build with a 5.x kernel and it didn't work.  So now you are trying to hack your 3.x install to get a 5.x kernel working in that environment?

The 3.x legacy kernels are essentially unsupportable as they rely on a lot of vendor supplied code that isn't maintained.  The 5.x kernels are using mainline linux without all the crap.  The problem is that vendor support for mainline linux is minimal and therefore things that work on a legacy kernel will not work on mainline.  If you can't get your box to work on a 5.x based kernel on a clean install, you aren't likely to be able to move to a mainline based kernel.  The legacy kernel is significantly different than the mainline code base.  Formats for things like the dtb have changed a lot, such that the 3.x dbt isn't likely to be very helpful working with a 5.x kernel.

@SteeMan

So if I understand your posts correctly, you have a working environment with a legacy 3.x kernel.  You are looking for something newer.  So you tried a current build with a 5.x kernel and it didn't work.

Exactly!

So now you are trying to hack your 3.x install to get a 5.x kernel working in that environment?

No I just wanted to use 5.x on one of the new builds. Using a new distro with 3.x might work, but I am afraid that I'll end in dependency hell...and a lot of time wasted.

Formats for things like the dtb have changed a lot, such that the 3.x dbt isn't likely to be very helpful working with a 5.x kernel.

Absolutely agreed, I took a look in the 3.x and 5.x dts, too many changes, AFAIK no migration path given. Especially since the device surely won't get any Android updates (with newer kernels) from the vendor itself.

I was hoping that my current boot process (no crashes, but stops at init) in conjunction with the logs might give others a clue about what I might be missing in my dts. But at this point I absolutely understand that it's just not worth the pain.

I always try to give old hardware a second life/purpose, but in this case EOL has been reached :( Luckily I had a cheap S905x TV Stick which runs debian bullseye very well, so at least I found another solution for my use case.

Thank you so much for your comments, highly appreciated! 🖖 My case can be closed :)

@menelike  i look at the dts file for 5.xx kernel and see many i2c channels are state disable but rtc is still enable , i think that system try to reach the rtc but without i2c is like disconnect ,

@SteeMan i think the problem is more that some vendor have sometime change where thinks connected rtc somtimes on i2c_AO sometimes on i2c_A ;

and that many thinks are still diable in the mainline kernel dts files because the dev didn have time or have not hardware to test all , 

On 11/18/2020 at 10:01 PM, AzuriAdore said:

I am tagging the people who mentioned having issues with docker recently in this topic.

@brajomobil@daniyo@nef

To make Docker work, it takes extra steps.

Please visit my guide on how to make it work if you are still interested:

https://github.com/SLAzurin/armbian-aml-s8xx-kernel-build-steps

Nice Guide ! 

Could you help me with a way to get Armbian booting on my Box?

Mxiii S802 

So far every DTB or image will not work i wont get any Screen (just flickering/green/pixels).

Hi, I completely discovered the interconnection when samba is not working.

Sometimes samba works for me sometimes it doesn't, I changed sd card, hdd, sdd devices. but did not take into account the factor that sometimes I checked in
  ethernet port at a speed of 100mbit and 1000mbit, and 100% works with any 100mbit device, and does not work if the port is 1000mbit.

Perhaps the kernel needs to update or fix the network card driver?

On 11/18/2020 at 6:38 AM, AzuriAdore said:

My guide on how to build your own Kernel to make it compatible with Docker is here:

Please read the guide once before doing it on your own

https://github.com/SLAzurin/armbian-aml-s8xx-kernel-build-steps

I use Armbian_21.02.0-trunk_Aml-s812_bionic_current_5.10.0_.img.xz, amlogic s812 m8s device. I built according to the instructions and it worked. However, after a period of using, I can't use that uImage, I install it and rebuild can't use uImage. Please support me

Hi, I posted a similar question on freaktab and needing assistance. Any help will be appreciated.

I have a s802 box from an IPTV provider running custom Android 4.4 firmware. I have tried several time to boot Open/LibreElec and now Armbian from USB/SD card but no success.

It will not detect USB/SD card and boot just by plugging. I have also tried pressing the RECOVERY button and it it goes provide an error that it was not able to find the update aml file.

My best guest being a provider box, they probably prevent the bootloader from booting anything other than their software. Is there a way to overwrite this? I even willing to overwrite the bootloader and stock firmware.

Attached is the image of the box and the TTL log with the boot with RECOVERY button.

Recovery boot log

fetch?id=821037&d=1614866216

Edited by hieppo

Try renaming the aml_autoscript file to 

factory_update_param.ubt

But please note, I do not know how this can affect the device, it can lead to irreversible consequences and you will get a brick.

11 часов назад, hieppo сказал:

Attached is the image of the box and the TTL log with the boot with RECOVERY button.

34 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

I don't do Docker support, and I have no idea what it takes.

I think docker is essential to run services. It deserves to be. It is used to run hassio. I have done a build with some missing components using the tutorial link, docker works fine. However, after using it for a while I can't boot again. I hope you support docker from firmware

Thank you!

Link build kernel

SLAzurin/armbian-aml-s8xx-kernel-build-steps: armbian-aml-s8xx-kernel-build-steps including Docker (github.com)

6 hours ago, andress187267 said:

I think docker is essential to run services.

@andress187267If you think docker is essential for your use cases, we welcome your contributions to the armbian community to make that happen.  That is what open source is all about. We certainly need many more volunteers to do all the work around here.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:05 AM, balbes150 said:

Try renaming the aml_autoscript file to 

factory_update_param.ubt

But please note, I do not know how this can affect the device, it can lead to irreversible consequences and you will get a brick.

I tried changing the file name and it also complain about missing factory_update_param.aml so I renamed the armbian.txt file to the aml name as needed. But booting still will not work, "Wrong image format for autoscript".

I have the original raw recovery image for the box, is there anyway to uncompressed this file to look at the components and be able to use or see what is needed to boot?

Hi there,

There is alot of useful information in this thread, however I've gotten myself rather lost and could do with some pointers, feel free to post links :)

I've got an MXIII 4K Gibit that I am hoping to use to run headless (Home Assitant and other such packages).

MXIII-4-K-GBIT-BK.jpg

Is there a guide from start to finish on what I need to do, that includes:

Download link to the Armbian version I need to try and dtbs I should attempt to use?

How to boot from the SD card (I assume this is the tooth pick method)?

Where to solder a uart bridge (I'm using my bus pirate for this) for uart?

I've sucessfully converted a NSA320 NAS to run debian in the past, but its single core processor leaves alot to be desired.

Best Wishes

Xalek

@xaleks

First there is no A to Z guide how to make this android to linux box , because there are many diffirence between the box . feel free to write one

Download link to the Armbian version I need to try and dtbs I should attempt to use?

somewhere in this thread armbian.com/linux/balbes  ( last 3 pages)

How to boot from the SD card (I assume this is the tooth pick method)?

toothpick is only to get to recovery partition / recovery tool

you also have to find a way to install the aml_autoscript , this script activte the multiboot option on bootloader for usb and sd-card boot

( i had to sideload TWRP from sd-card to  temporary recovery and than replace recovery with twrp, install the aml_autoscript and also root the box)

Where to solder a uart bridge (I'm using my bus pirate for this) for uart?

look at the lower section on your picture. Are there the mark for RX;TX and GND ?  maybe look at the other side of the board !  ; What is a bus pirate ? you need a uart rs232 to usb ( be aware you need maybe 3,3V UART adapter )  that enough,

dtb

there are some in the armbian boot section for testing , there is also a mxii.dtb

On 3/5/2021 at 3:10 AM, balbes150 said:

I don't do Docker support, and I have no idea what it takes.

@balbes150To make Docker work, the kernel build config file (/boot/config-**) is missing the following:
Can you try to add these configs in the next Armbian build please?

CONFIG_NF_NAT_IPV4=y
CONFIG_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE=y
CONFIG_MEMCG_SWAP_ENABLED=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_THROTTLING=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
CONFIG_CFQ_GROUP_IOSCHED=y
CONFIG_CGROUP_HUGETLB=y
CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED=y
CONFIG_IP_VS_NFCT=y
CONFIG_IP_VS_PROTO_TCP=y
CONFIG_IP_VS_PROTO_UDP=y
CONFIG_IP_VS_RR=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_TRANSPORT=y
CONFIG_AUFS_FS=y
CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y

6 часов назад, AzuriAdore сказал:

To make Docker work, the kernel build config file (/boot/config-**) is missing the following:
Can you try to add these configs in the next Armbian build please?

I'll try adding them, but I can't guarantee that it will work.