Armbian for Amlogic S805 and S802/S812

masteripper

12 часов назад, Ruf73 сказал:

I have a TV Box M8 S802 K200, I tried to launch Armbian on it (from here https://disk.yandex.ru/d/wc2jqGsHuKy48), but unsuccessfully.
If someone can flash a box for a fee, please write to me. I am ready to send the box by mail for this in Russia.

Write in detail what steps it does. If the device is supported, you don't need to send anything to others. If it is not supported, no sending to others will help, they will not be able to do anything.

11 часов назад, balbes150 сказал:

Write in detail what steps it does. If the device is supported, you don't need to send anything to others. If it is not supported, no sending to others will help, they will not be able to do anything.

Multiboot is activated.
I was able to run Armbian_5.44_S812_Debian_stretch_3.10.108_server_20180521.img.xz without making any changes to the SD card.
Other images:

- Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Debian_stretch_default_3.10.108_20190326.img.xz,

- Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Debian_stretch_dev_5.1.0-rc2_20190326.img.xz,

- Armbian_20.05.3_Aml-s812_buster_current_5.7.0-rc3-gbec4f4648-dirty_20200427.img.xz

do not start - a screen with dots, the router shows the port is up, there is no data exchange, nothing happens. I tried to use different dtb files (meson8 ..) - no image starts, including the first.

Problems with 5.44 :

- does not start without HDMI cable

- does not see all the memory:

root@vegas812:~# free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         834456       53212      670868       13496      110376      756756
Swap:        131068           0      131068

should be 2Gb, a photo of the board. Output of dmesg here.

How do I run a more recent image?
How to make the memory see?
What can I do to start without HDMI connected?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

@Ruf73

Thank you for being a little more detailed this time

for 5.44 and 5.77 both use the 3.10 kernel which is identical to the Android 4.4 kernel so there are many boxes running with the default settings
that 5.44 only runs with HDMI and with less memory is due to the fact that not exactly all settings are working

after flashing the SD_card should have 2 partitions 1. boot 2.Linux
in the 1. partition Boot files must be changed depending on the version as follows:

for 5.44 and 5.77 you have to change the dtb.img file on the SD Card after flashing with the correct file from the subfolder
this must be copied and renamed as dtb.img in the main directory of the boot partition.

for 20.xx images, due to the new kernel, only the link in the file uENV.txt is changed to the correct file in the subfolder of the boot partition of the SD card.

! some boxes always need a HDMI cable ;

! the dtb file tells the kernel what , how , and where is available in the box
but also the kernel and the Linux must also be able to handle it
therefore it is not possible to move a working dtb file from 5.77 to 20.xx.

@RaptorSDS thanks for the comments!

I extracted dtb file from android and was surprised that it is called m8m2_n200_1G.dtb. I remind you that android sees 2GB of memory, see "dmesg — kitkat.txt"

With this dtb file, the Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Debian_stretch_default_3.10.108_20190326.img.xz is launched, but it only sees 1GB of memory: "dmesg_3_10 — 5.77.txt"

DTS files also attached (thanx to)

Have ideas how to make armbian memory see?

dmesg — kitkat.txt dmesg_3_10 — 5.77.txt 02_dtbdump_m8m2_n200_1G.dts

@Ruf73 Please do not use the android dtb for Linux , there are compatible but not all work proper.

on the sd-card there should be also a m8m2_n200_2G_sdio.dtb please use the files from SD-card ( but you wrote the box is a M8 S802 ,  but m8m2_n200 is more like a m8s S812 box , wifi is a broadcom modul )

23.03.2021 в 07:30, AzuriAdore сказал:

Are you still using the linux kernel from xdarklight?

Only its GIT has support for s8xx.

17 часов назад, Ruf73 сказал:

it is called m8m2_n200_1G.dtb. I remind you that android sees 2GB of memory, see "dmesg — kitkat.txt"

This is a well-known trick of tricksters releasing a TV box, you don't have 2 GB of RAM.

1 час назад, balbes150 сказал:

you don't have 2 GB of RAM

it seems so ))

ok, but how to run the 5.7 kernel on this tv box? dtb files from the SD card also do not work

upd: it will probably be important to say that I want to transfer armbian to the nand memory of the device. What image is right for this?

1 hour ago, RaptorSDS said:

@Ruf73

there is no support for nand install

Specifically mainline kernels (i.e. 5.x) do not support nand, only emmc.  If you have nand and want to install on it, you are stuck with legacy vendor kernels (3.10 - 4.4, depending on your box).

@Ruf73 Have you read the Read This First FAQ item: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/16976-status-of-armbian-on-tv-boxes-please-read-first/

I mention that as I want you to have proper expectations on what you are likely to be able to accomplish.  Also it would be helpful to hear what you are trying to accomplish?

If I read your past posts, it sounds like you have a working environment with a 5.44 build.  Why isn't that good enough?

As you attempt to go from the legacy kernel of the 5.44 build (3.10.108) to a mainline kernel (5.x) you will certainly end up with less functionality that will work.  Why is this you may ask.  Well the legacy kernel has all the proprietary and custom code that the device/board manufacturer put together to get this shipped.  In mainline kernels all of this needed to be reimplemented from scratch in a clean supported manner for inclusion into mainline kernel.  Sometimes the mainline implementation needed to be done without any support from the board manufactures and/or without source code.  One area that this is particularly noted is that the formats and contents of the dtb files have changed significantly between legacy kernels and mainline (which is why you can't use an old dtb)  The other significant difference as previously mentioned is that mainline does not support nand storage.

@SteeMan, @RaptorSDS thanks to you it became much clearer.
So, I have nand (I see "detect NAND device: E revision 1Ynm NAND 8GiB H27UCG8T2E" in the dmesg logs) and I stay on the 3.10 kernel if it allows booting from nand.
I do not see the installation script for nand on build 5.77. Does this mean that I need to go back to build 5.44 (I think I saw the script there) or can I take the script from 5.44 and copy 5.77?

p.s. on 5.77 I managed to boot without hdmi, and not on 5.44. Although I may have tried little))

@balbes150 I've been trying out your builds for M8S tv boxes.  Excellent work!  Much appreciate all your efforts.  Armbian_20.09_Aml-s812_buster_current_5.9.0-rc7 is particularly stable for me.  

I do have one question.  It seems they do not support Mali GPU, or I cannot find drivers.  For example, if I try to install Retroarch or Retropie, I get the message cannot find package mali-fbdev, which seems not to be something I can install.  In researching, it appears to be part of the driver package and needs compiled with the kernel.  Just curious... Are you planning anything around this?

18 часов назад, Rodger сказал:

I've been trying out your builds for M8S tv boxes.  Excellent work!  Much appreciate all your efforts.  Armbian_20.09_Aml-s812_buster_current_5.9.0-rc7 is particularly stable for me.  

I do have one question.  It seems they do not support Mali GPU, or I cannot find drivers.  For example, if I try to install Retroarch or Retropie, I get the message cannot find package mali-fbdev, which seems not to be something I can install.  In researching, it appears to be part of the driver package and needs compiled with the kernel.  Just curious... Are you planning anything around this?

no. I am basically against using the closed blob shit of mali especially from AML. Only open LIma and Panfrost drivers

@balbes150, good day!

I ran Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Debian_stretch_default_3.10.108_20190326.img from the SD card, then copied it to nand.
However, there was a problem. When I boot from the SD card, the system did not start without an hdmi cable until I removed the parameter "logo=osd1,loaded,0x15100000,1080p,full" from the uEnv.ini. It was in this configuration that I copied the system to nand.
But when the system starts from nand, in the Kernel command line I again see the logo parameter! And the system does not start without a hdmi cable. How do I edit the Kernel command line?

upd: solved the problem myself, thanks for the silence :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Jackchen said:

Hello, I am currently using your armbian 3.10.108 image, but I want to build Retroarch in it, and found that the Mali GPU driver is missing, I want to ask, is there any way to solve it

Please read the FAQ entry: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/16976-status-of-armbian-on-tv-boxes-please-read-first

There are a couple of comments in that post that are relevant to your question.  1) balbes is no longer working on amlogic cpus, 2) the current state of the TV box code (espeucally for amlogic) is suitible for server use only, don't expect much graphical support to be working.  Also in a comment just a few posts ago, balbes expressed his opinion that he doesn't work with proprietary binary closed source code (like the legacy mali drivers).  The open source drivers are only becoming available on current kernels, so there isn't anything except closed source support for your 3.10 ancient kernel.

hi i have an MXIII-G v2.0 4k gigabit ethernet, i have installed ubuntu bionic server armbian image kernel 3.10.108 on it, but withouth using dtb because mesonk200bsdhc, and meson k200bsdio gives me errors failed loading modules ecct

now i have a problem because etherneth seems not working, when i connect to the router NetworkManager should give me the ipv4 ip address, but when i type ip addr

i see only the opv6 address, i have also tried to disable NetworkManager and set ip manually but still not working, Can anaone help me please? Thanks

Hi all Good Day,

had been trying to go through and understand the forum. But am feeling quite confused on how to do it. Basically i Own a Minix Neo X8 H Plus box with Amlogic S812. Android 5.1.1 and rooted. This OS is of no use to me in the present times as i can hardly do anything much on it. I would like to know the exact procedure to install Linux or Ubuntu (Am Too Novice still to know if they are same or different:)).

Requirement is to use this box as a Basic NAS with hard drives connected. I tried to read through this thread but am quite confused as to which files to download. Basically i would want to run an Emby or Plex server on this device with access from various devices like PC, Android mobiles and android televisions to play the content connected to the device. I am a newbie to this field and do not understand much of writing codes and things. I could see @balbes150 doing quite a great job through the thread...please guide me as to from where and how i can complete the above..this box would be sitting somewhere near the router without a display attached so would also like to know how i would be accesing this through a web interface. if possible pease walk me through the consolidated steps..

Thanks and Cheers!!

Edited by superchief28

hi and welcome

there is no a to z guide how to get linux to the box because like i wrote before therer a big mix of diffirent boxes ( 3 diffferent wifi chip , 3 or 4 different Lan chip) also most of the armbian community only work with and on open source or community Software.

ubuntu is a linux

armbian is ubuntu linux or debian linux with tools and setup for small space envoirments

its possible to run this box as a slow NAS ( only USB2 support ; most of the box only has 2.4GHz Wlan N ) ; Plex or Media box still a problem because the media recode is not optimal ( lag of graphic driver)

i thing on page 24...26 i wrote some steps  ( but feel free to write a guide ) be

balbes150 has stop his work on this Amlogic Armbian release but there are some work on the linux Kernel for AMLOGIC chipset but its slow .

there are 3 main steps

1. get the bootloader unlock for multiboot with the aml_autoscript.zip from Android or from TWRP

2. get the armbian on a SD-Card (  beleanerEtcher or ImageWrite32 )

3 get the right setup to boot linux ( dtb files)

hi,

I have mxq s805

I create boot emcc with belana from Armbian_5.67_Aml-s805_Debian_stretch_default_3.10.108_20181207.img.xz

meson8b_mxq.dtb paste to root and renamed.

booteed..work fine..

Now

I want to try from

I tried same as but nothing happen, no boot no hdmi, no ethernet connection. 

Shuuld write same as with belana or first write multiboot and paste this image to images folder?

vor 1 Stunde schrieb mexmet:

hi,

I have mxq s805

I create boot emcc with belana from Armbian_5.67_Aml-s805_Debian_stretch_default_3.10.108_20181207.img.xz

meson8b_mxq.dtb paste to root and renamed.

booteed..work fine..

Now

I want to try from

https://disk.yandex.kz/d/wc2jqGsHuKy48/Armbian/20.05.3/20200427

I tried same as but nothing happen, no boot no hdmi, no ethernet connection. 

Shuuld write same as with belana or first write multiboot and paste this image to images folder?

hi and welcome

when Armbian 5.67 boot  fine , multiboot is active.

for Armbian later 19.xx than  you have to edit path and filename inside  ambianEnv.txt. you do not not need copy and rename