Armbian for Amlogic S805 and S802/S812

masteripper

Thanx RaptorSDS

Now I can boot... yeesssss...

But I have now another problem.

I install OMV, and afteer that i can not fix eth mac adress.. Afteer every boot change mac adress, and ip adress. I set  mac adreess in /etc/network/interfaces, but not solved the problem.

How can I fix that.?

vor 12 Stunden schrieb mexmet:

Thanx RaptorSDS

Now I can boot... yeesssss...

But I have now another problem.

I install OMV, and afteer that i can not fix eth mac adress.. Afteer every boot change mac adress, and ip adress. I set  mac adreess in /etc/network/interfaces, but not solved the problem.

How can I fix that.?

short goog le and i found OMV has its own network-manager , all settings in interfaces will be ignore

you have to set all network things inside OMV

https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/23034-network-manager/&postID=176055

Hey everyone, I updated my guide on making Docker work here https://github.com/SLAzurin/armbian-aml-s8xx-kernel-build-steps

(For Ubuntu/Debian on linux version 5.10)

@balbes150 The previous comment for Docker requirements is wrong.

These here are the only config you need to enable to make Docker work when you build the linux kernel.

CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE=y
CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE_SYSCTL=y

I hope you can add it successfully for the next release, thank you for your work.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb AzuriAdore:

Hey everyone, I updated my guide on making Docker work here https://github.com/SLAzurin/armbian-aml-s8xx-kernel-build-steps

(For Ubuntu/Debian on linux version 5.10)

@balbes150 The previous comment for Docker requirements is wrong.

These here are the only config you need to enable to make Docker work when you build the linux kernel.

CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE=y
CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE_SYSCTL=y

I hope you can add it successfully for the next release, thank you for your work.

i do not know if there will be a new build because balbes150 has stop working on this box , but on kernel GIT and linx GIT  there still some person who fix things maybe you have to ask there.

On 8/1/2021 at 2:51 AM, RaptorSDS said:

i do not know if there will be a new build because balbes150 has stop working on this box , but on kernel GIT and linx GIT  there still some person who fix things maybe you have to ask there.

Ok thanks for the heads up, I'll try to contact xdarklight to see if those can be enabled by default.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:00 AM, Red2 said:

I have an old tv box with S802 

MXIII 4k 1g8g netxeon m82

Just wondering what the latest Linux image I can get it to run and where would I find an image file. Most I find seem to only be for 2g boxes or I'm misinterpreting the info, which isn't that unlikely. Everything I have tried has failed so it would be nice to know if someone else got Linux install on one and which version

Thank in advance

Hey, 

Can anyone help me? 

My device is Netxeon M82G V2.0 S812/2G/8G/AP6330 (Tronsmart MXIII Plus clone?).

It's not booting proper. What shall I do first? 

Sometimes it boots until Android Logo on the screen and mostly you can just see Android TV Googleatv logo at the start. 

I recognized that ricoh rn5t618m chipset gets very fast hot. 

Any ideas or suggestions? Does someone still have an original image for debricking tries? 

ricoh rn5t618m is the power managment IC , if this is your main error than also a image can not help you

its look like you found the startup problem

if the power IC get wrong settings from image maybe a linux can help

When you get multiboot activate you can boot from SD or USB , you have not to fear to brick because orginal android is not touched

( get a orginal image is hard to find because of the varity of the box )

maybe someone else can jump in and have more ideas about the thermal problems

Hey @RaptorSDS,

Thanks for your comment. I think so to and I don't know if it's a software or hardware related problem. 

I just noticed that the chip gets very fast hot.... 

Hmm... I would love and really appreciate if someone could offer an image or link to a possible download. 

I would think it's best to start a debricking try from windows with amligic-tool or something similar. 

I just did this with rk3229 boxes... 

But this S812 is opened and I can do some shortcut or whatever is needed to bring it to mask rom mode. 

@Alex83 be aware S812 is no rk3229 you can deep brik this device  , Amlogic has no fallback to sd card when internal memory fail or boot loader missing 

only real way is to get into boot loader and install aml_autoscript.zip than you get multiboot and can use sdcard as linux boot drive

Hey guys,

I'm releasing my personal Armbian build for AML s8xx compatible with Docker.

Armbian: 21.11.0

Ubuntu: 20.04 focal
Linux: 5.14-rc2 by xdarklight
Original build files by balbes150

I only tweaked the board settings.

Files used here:
https://github.com/SLAzurin/build-armbian-custom/tree/s8xx

Build steps on system with Ubuntu 20.04 and docker:

1. Copy files from `userpatches.s8xx` to `userpatches`
  2. ./compile_s812.sh
  3. Mount the output image file to your filesystem (Check `postbuild.sh` for more details)
  4. Change the label for the ext4 partition to be `ROOTFS`
  5. Unmount image file and flash to SD Card.
  6. (Optional) Generate new .sha file with `sha256sum $IMAGE > $IMAGE.sha`

Downloads here:

https://github.com/SLAzurin/build-armbian-custom/releases/tag/v2021.11-s8xx

I will not be taking any requests, it is already hard enough to get an image released as it is.

You get what you get. Thank you for understanding =)

Edit:

When you try to install Docker,
If you run into an issue that says cannot find package docker-ce, or something similar, do this:

sudo sed -i "s/focal/bionic/g" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io

On 4/5/2021 at 7:09 PM, Ruf73 said:

@balbes150, good day!

I ran Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Debian_stretch_default_3.10.108_20190326.img from the SD card, then copied it to nand.
However, there was a problem. When I boot from the SD card, the system did not start without an hdmi cable until I removed the parameter "logo=osd1,loaded,0x15100000,1080p,full" from the uEnv.ini. It was in this configuration that I copied the system to nand.
But when the system starts from nand, in the Kernel command line I again see the logo parameter! And the system does not start without a hdmi cable. How do I edit the Kernel command line?

upd: solved the problem myself, thanks for the silence :thumbup:

Hi,

Can you please help me,

i have a M8S BCM4335 2GB

Which dtb did you used to boot with Armbian_5.77_Aml-s812_Debian_stretch_default_3.10.108_20190326.img ?

did you resolved 'HDMI must be pluged to boot' issue ?

Thank you in advance ;)

FYI, i am actually booting with Armbian_5.44_S812_Debian_stretch_3.10.108_server_20180521.img without specifiying the db (strang ...) but hdmi need to be pluged if unplaged the linux crash

BR,

Nab

@Nabiloo

on 5.77 and 5.44 there should be only two m8s dtb files , your choice is only small.

normally a there is a standard dtb ( i thing a mxii one)  already on boot folder as dtb.img,

on 3.10.108 Kernel image you have to copy and rename your dtb to dtb.img on boot folder

some box still with right dtb have the HDMI plug problem , there was a patch with a HDMI plug dongle without cable

On 1/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, menelike said:

@SteeMan

Thanks for your response. I am not sure what you mean with "clean copy", but  Kernel 3.x runs perfectly fine on the device. I just wanted to upgrade debian from stretch to bullseye because of missing/outdated debian packages.

But I think that you're correct, there is no upgrade path. 😪

Luckily I had a H96 Pro H3 with a S905x which I managed to run the bullseye on.

Hi. Have you been able to get the wifi to work with 2.4 and 5 GHz on your H96 Pro in Bullseye?

On 9/10/2021 at 7:27 PM, AzuriAdore said:

Hey guys,

I'm releasing my personal Armbian build for AML s8xx compatible with Docker.

Armbian: 21.11.0

Ubuntu: 20.04 focal
Linux: 5.14-rc2 by xdarklight
Original build files by balbes150

I only tweaked the board settings.

Files used here:
https://github.com/SLAzurin/build-armbian-custom/tree/s8xx

Build steps on system with Ubuntu 20.04 and docker:

1. Copy files from `userpatches.s8xx` to `userpatches`
  2. ./compile_s812.sh
  3. Mount the output image file to your filesystem (Check `postbuild.sh` for more details)
  4. Change the label for the ext4 partition to be `ROOTFS`
  5. Unmount image file and flash to SD Card.
  6. (Optional) Generate new .sha file with `sha256sum $IMAGE > $IMAGE.sha`

Downloads here:

https://github.com/SLAzurin/build-armbian-custom/releases/tag/v2021.11-s8xx

I will not be taking any requests, it is already hard enough to get an image released as it is.

You get what you get. Thank you for understanding =)

Edit:

When you try to install Docker,
If you run into an issue that says cannot find package docker-ce, or something similar, do this:

sudo sed -i "s/focal/bionic/g" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io

Hi there,

Many thanks for your efforts. I was able to boot your image with my MK808b plus device. I am planning to use it on my 3D printer for Octoprint/Klipper service.

However, I'm facing the same issue that I couldn't fix it on previous balbes150 images: onboard wifi device (AP6210) doesn't work. 

I tried modprobe b43 and b43legacy didn't work out.

I used meson8b-ec100.dtb as dtb.img

For more information, I can use wifi on a prehistoric (ubuntu-mate-15-04-s805-standard-0_95_Beta.img.xz) image made by anonymous. but that built is way to old and I was not able to upgrade it to bionic to install uptodate python3.

Anyway, I hope someone could help me on that.

BR

erduk

vor 2 Stunden schrieb erduk:

Hi there,

Many thanks for your efforts. I was able to boot your image with my MK808b plus device. I am planning to use it on my 3D printer for Octoprint/Klipper service.

However, I'm facing the same issue that I couldn't fix it on previous balbes150 images: onboard wifi device (AP6210) doesn't work. 

I tried modprobe b43 and b43legacy didn't work out.

I used meson8b-ec100.dtb as dtb.img

For more information, I can use wifi on a prehistoric (ubuntu-mate-15-04-s805-standard-0_95_Beta.img.xz) image made by anonymous. but that built is way to old and I was not able to upgrade it to bionic to install uptodate python3.

Anyway, I hope someone could help me on that.

BR

erduk

If you use the newer Image 20.xx ( Kernel 5.xx) you have to edit uEnv  , your rename of dtb.img is wrong !

also bionic i thing need kernel 4.xx and newer

On 9/29/2021 at 3:16 PM, RaptorSDS said:

If you use the newer Image 20.xx ( Kernel 5.xx) you have to edit uEnv  , your rename of dtb.img is wrong !

also bionic i thing need kernel 4.xx and newer

I've already did that too. Now it seems that dtb.img was unnecessary, editing uEnv did the trick. I got it now.

I found my device's correct dtd while searching on the web. I uploaded to my github if anyone would need it.

https://github.com/erkutoyus/mk808bplus/blob/main/meson8b_mk808bplus.dtd

I wanted to build an armbian image for myself but I couldn't figure it out how to do that. I looked at github in every folder of armbian source code and there is no folder containing dtd's. I couldn't find how to add new board there.

If anyone can help me on that, I would highly appreciate it.

BR

erduk

3 hours ago, erduk said:

I wanted to build an armbian image for myself but I couldn't figure it out how to do that. I looked at github in every folder of armbian source code and there is no folder containing dtd's. I couldn't find how to add new board there.

If anyone can help me on that, I would highly appreciate it.

.dts are part of the kernel (.dtb's are binary and built from the .dts source files as part of a kernel build).  The s805 dts's can be found in the linux kernel tree under arch/arm/boot/dts.  To add a dtb to the build process you would need to add a kernel patch to the armbian build that puts the .dts in the proper location.

14 hours ago, SteeMan said:

.dts are part of the kernel (.dtb's are binary and built from the .dts source files as part of a kernel build).  The s805 dts's can be found in the linux kernel tree under arch/arm/boot/dts.  To add a dtb to the build process you would need to add a kernel patch to the armbian build that puts the .dts in the proper location.

Ok, here is what I did:

from AzuriAdore's repo I cloned armbian custom build exact branch (s8xx)

git clone -b s8xx https://github.com/SLAzurin/build-armbian-custom
sudo ./compile.sh

I selected aml-s812 from the list to obtain his customizations.  and waited couple of hours for the script to download necessary files.

I found dts files under /cache/sources/linux-aml-current/meson-mx-integration-5.14-20210718/arch/arm/boot/dts folder as mentioned

however,  looking in configuration files I couldn't find any link to these dts files so I wasn't sure which file to alter.

I was lost again, here I am :)

i am using bullseye image for mxq-box s805/1Gb from this https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/s8xx/ previously i used armbian 5.67 with kernel 3 and meson8b-mxq dtb. everything just worked ok with that both with sdcard and usb.

now with the 21 bulleseye meson8b-mxq.dtb doesn't give a proper hdmi signal. i get hdmi signal on my samsung monitor with meson8b-ec100.dtb and odroidc1.dtb but no signal on my 720p TV. 

If i run apt upgrade it remounts filesystem readonly giving i node errors. while working hdmi is currently low on my priority but this sdcard root ro remount on error is giving me a headache. on checking e2fsck everthing just seems fine. it happens if it writes very fast to sd card. what could be the problem? 

i want to run openvpn client on it..

@armbian-mxq do you use the menson8b-mxq.dtb from 3.xx kernel on the 5.xx kernel ? -> thats didn`t work because kernel5 use some diffirent pin descriptions.

also many dtb was rewriten for kernel 5.xx thats why maybe hdmi did not work.

there could be some sd-card error because the SD-card driver was rewriten on kernel5 because of non-free code in the old sd-card driver. But than its shoulde be only high speed or low speed sd-card or non detect  BUT  that a filesystem was fine than readonly than fine -> this looks more like programm error not a driver issue

do you use apt-upgrade as normal user or root user ? or Is there another apt-upgrade thread at the same time?

23 hours ago, RaptorSDS said:

@armbian-mxq do you use the menson8b-mxq.dtb from 3.xx kernel on the 5.xx kernel ? -> thats didn`t work because kernel5 use some diffirent pin descriptions.

also many dtb was rewriten for kernel 5.xx thats why maybe hdmi did not work.

there could be some sd-card error because the SD-card driver was rewriten on kernel5 because of non-free code in the old sd-card driver. But than its shoulde be only high speed or low speed sd-card or non detect  BUT  that a filesystem was fine than readonly than fine -> this looks more like programm error not a driver issue

do you use apt-upgrade as normal user or root user ? or Is there another apt-upgrade thread at the same time?

This dtb is from bullseye image /boot/dtb which i downloaded. I did not make any changes.

For large files, i did dd if=/dev/zero of=./test bs=1024 count=500000 but no errors in this case. if I cp this or wget a large file then also i get no errors.  for a large file proceeds without any errors. I also get cpu big soft lockup 22s message of i use external usb to boot. In case of sd card, it simply remounts filesystem in ro even if i put ro=continue in fstab for rootfs.  Strange but on e2fs -f on a different box with this sdcard there is no corruption. May be some buffer overflows?

I use apt upgrade as a root ooras a sudo. I also tried mounting external flash and symlink on /var/cache/apt still i get errors. Errors of inode start generally when download speed is high, say 15mbps or more. apt doesn't work in another thread because there is dpkg lock I guess sd card cant cope up with that though not sure.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb armbian-mxq:

This dtb is from bullseye image /boot/dtb which i downloaded. I did not make any changes.

For large files, i did dd if=/dev/zero of=./test bs=1024 count=500000 but no errors in this case. if I cp this or wget a large file then also i get no errors.  for a large file proceeds without any errors. I also get cpu big soft lockup 22s message of i use external usb to boot. In case of sd card, it simply remounts filesystem in ro even if i put ro=continue in fstab for rootfs.  Strange but on e2fs -f on a different box with this sdcard there is no corruption. May be some buffer overflows?

I use apt upgrade as a root ooras a sudo. I also tried mounting external flash and symlink on /var/cache/apt still i get errors. Errors of inode start generally when download speed is high, say 15mbps or more. apt doesn't work in another thread because there is dpkg lock I guess sd card cant cope up with that though not sure.

but weird that both usb and sdcard produce errors

maybe also its some pin definition error from hdmi wich also produce error on memory or IO ports

Problem at the moment we havent a lead system programmer for this box , balbes the maintainer of s805/S812 switch to rockchip system

if you tell witch dtb you use i can maybe change some setting to disable HDMI complete

but i can only change a small amount of dtb  not all

On 10/20/2021 at 12:46 AM, RaptorSDS said:

but weird that both usb and sdcard produce errors

maybe also its some pin definition error from hdmi wich also produce error on memory or IO ports

Problem at the moment we havent a lead system programmer for this box , balbes the maintainer of s805/S812 switch to rockchip system

if you tell witch dtb you use i can maybe change some setting to disable HDMI complete

but i can only change a small amount of dtb  not all

Working dtb is meson8b-odroidc1 and meson8b-ec100 others simply don't work

hi guys!

congrats for the excellent work and time you put into this.

i have an old MX-III 2/8 with PCB: M82_V3.0_20140826 and would like to flash linux on it... I am soldering-wise-capable and have already removed the emmc and eeprom chips to program them directly on an external progammer (i.e. TL866-II)...

is that possible? are there images ready for this king of work??? for me this way is the least complicated (instead of trying to use aml files and other scripts from the SD)

thank you so much.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb george_1312:

is that possible? are there images ready for this king of work???

not this one's , mostly all are for Usb and SD-Card.

you can try but than you have to with manually edit some files and uboot and ....

(my box run now 4-5years with  sd-card without problem)

be aware this box are get deep brick with wrong uboot on emmc/nand

there is no maskrom mode or any restore function in uboot