NanoPi A64 board from FriendlyArm

Christos

As information for people - like me - who did buy a NanoPi A64 (ordered with some other parts at FriendlyElec) there is a much better image available as that one at the FriendlyElec-page.

This better working Ubuntu image is available at:

https://github.com/avafinger/nanopi-a64-firmware

The image include (as today):  

Nano Pi A64 firmware , u-boot, kernel 3.10.104 / kernel 3.10.105 
Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.10.105 aarch64)
Linux nanopi-a64 3.10.105 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 27 10:59:50 BRT 2017 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Got it running with Mate-Desktop. It isnt armbian- but it seems to run fine :)

Yes - Kernel 3.10.105 isnt enough for a mainline armbian - but maybe in the future a legacy version? as we have some other A64 boards with legacy image / support. Or wouldnt any "new" legacy builds came up?

NanoPi_A64_Ubuntu.jpg

PS: The board is runnig VERY cool - even without the fan running. I think about removing the BIG heat sink and install a normal small one - so that in the future the I2S-Port is useable :) 

8 minutes ago, guidol said:

Kernel 3.10.105 isnt enough for a mainline armbian - but maybe in the future a legacy version?

Kernel 3.10 is at 3.10.108 in the meantime and also EOL now. And there's really no reason why Armbian should support this board anytime soon or at all as you can easily get from the link I posted above. If Armbian wants to improve IMO a few more boards should be kicked out of support (especially all those that allow for underpowering hassles -- MicroUSB for DC-IN just like this one here too)

26 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

If Armbian wants to improve IMO a few more boards should be kicked out of support (especially all those that allow for underpowering hassles -- MicroUSB for DC-IN just like this one here too)

If Armbian would do that - I would like to see / have a page with recommendations for buying a "new" board.

(OK - while lokking at the downloads-page this is something for the actual boards (stable and work in progress))

So when we got new users - they will have the same board.

With that the software will be tested faster and we have more reports for hunting bugs and get the system faster more stable .

@Igor : as suggestion for the download page:
Could we have some combined selection buttons at the download page  like "Mainline&stable" / "Legacy&Stable" or "Mainline&stable&server" ?

This could also be a recommendation for buying a board with armbian-support :)

sorry if the question isn't in the appropriate place, I've just flashed on Pine64+ Armbian_5.35_Pine64_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.10.107.img

(btw Armbian_5.35_Pine64_Debian_jessie_default_3.10.107.img didn't work showing BUG print, something "softlock on cpu0" and then endlessly printing Call Trace into the serial port)

Is it supposed to be without HDMI output support or do I need to change something? Not that this is critical, basically all I need is connecting to it through SSH but if HDMI is supported it would be nice to configure it, I have an HDMI monitor after all. :D