Orange Pi Zero 4k decoding / encoding

Magnets

Can the opi zero decode anything above 1080p? I want to decode a 3MP h.264 stream (2048*1538) and re-encode it to 1080p and serve over RTSP.

do I need to get an H3 for that? the wiki says

H2+ is a variant of H3, targeted at low-end OTT boxes, which lacks Gigabit MAC and 4K HDMI output support.

http://linux-sunxi.org/H2%2B#Variants

Is that HDMI specific or lack of GPU power for decoding?

Will that be pushing it too much even on an OPI PC?

Can the opi zero decode anything above 1080p? I want to decode a 3MP h.264 stream (2048*1538) and re-encode it to 1080p and serve over RTSP.

While exact differences between H3 and H2+ are a bit unclear, I can assure you that H3 was never advertised as capable of decoding 4K H264, only H265. You can check that in datasheet. I think I tried once and it wasn't good. But then again, you have lower resolution, so it might still work.

Which program do you intend to use for video conversion? It has to support VDPAU. Precompiled programs for ARM usually don't have support enabled because VDPAU is not used on ARM anywhere, not even on Tegra, except here.

BTW, HDMI is output and has nothing to do with HW decoding, they are two separate units. Actually, also GPU has nothing to do with HW decoding and are two separate units. You are asking about VPU (video processing unit).

Ah thanks for clarifying that.

I saw on the wiki about 4k but I think it's just confusing wording

Ultra HD 4k and Full HD 1080p video decoding of MPEG-2, MPEG-4 SP/ASP GMC, H.263, H.264, H.265, WMV9/VC-1, and VP8

http://linux-sunxi.org/H3

You're right, the datasheet says h.264 1080p@60fps for the H3

I'm not sure about which program I can use