OPi GPU freq reverted to 252 Mhz?

jock

I got an OrangePi Pc, and I see that Mali GPU frequency has been rolled back to 252 Mhz, or at least the kernel is saying so in dmesg.

I took a look into the changelog, the frequency has been increased to nominal 600 Mhz in armbian v5.15, but now I installed a fresh 5.20, upgraded to latest packages and I see that kernel initializes the GPU at 252 Mhz.

I found no traces of this rollback in the changelog.

As I'm currently testing the SBC as a desktop replacement, I'm guessing if the increased gpu frequency could be of any benefit to the interface snappiness.

As I'm currently testing the SBC as a desktop replacement, I'm guessing if the increased gpu frequency could be of any benefit to the interface snappiness.

No, GPU doesn't help anything with desktop unless it is using OpenGL ES.

I got an OrangePi Pc, and I see that Mali GPU frequency has been rolled back to 252 Mhz, or at least the kernel is saying so in dmesg.

So what? Mali400 is clocked with 252 MHz until something's to do. But if you're not the type of retro gamer then there is simply nothing to do since the only known 'application' making use of OpenGLES is a stupid benchmark showing rotating horses and other useless stuff.

Mali400 is a horribly outdated and slow 3D acceleration engine which is of no use for any normal use case except playing old games in emulators. If you want to have a better 'desktop experience' invest in an SD card showing high random IO performance and learn how to tweak settings to avoid the IO bottleneck (modern browsers do heavy IO all the time).

So what? Mali400 is clocked with 252 MHz until something's to do. But if you're not the type of retro gamer then there is simply nothing to do since the only known 'application' making use of OpenGLES is a stupid benchmark showing rotating horses and other useless stuff.

Just guessed about missed patches, as long as the changelog says that the clock has been raised in the past.

Btw, Quake is working quite fine with opengl shim, just some minor issue with mipmaps I guess, and xfce seems to work with the compositor activated with no artifacts, so I was wondering if page scrolling and rendering could be pushed further a bit.

Mali400 is a horribly outdated and slow 3D acceleration engine which is of no use for any normal use case except playing old games in emulators. If you want to have a better 'desktop experience' invest in an SD card showing high random IO performance and learn how to tweak settings to avoid the IO bottleneck (modern browsers do heavy IO all the time).

I'm using a samsung EVO card which is sufficient for now, but I moved the home directory on an external hard disk using the USB. Just poking around with the hardware, nothing serious actually.