Orange Pi 2G-IOT

Petus

On 4/28/2017 at 5:32 AM, zador.blood.stained said:

No, there are no supported Armbian images for this board, and, as I said earlier in this thread, it's higly unlikely that Armbian will support it.

I am confused, did you give up cleaning the code? I was waiting for you and parrotgeek1 to do the hard work and then jump in to try to build the image.

I don't have the board but was just readying the environment when i get one.

Can you please clarify your roadmap on this device?

9 minutes ago, @lex said:

I am confused, did you give up cleaning the code?

No, but I don't want to waste too much time on this board. I would prefer to see that there are other people who are willing to do time consuming tasks, otherwise I may as well delete the Armbian config and pretend it was never added in the first place.

Current issues:

• When booting from SD, NAND is not initialized for some reason. May require dumping and disassembling the BROM
  • Audio driver is a mess and hangs the system for an unknown reason
  • Existing documentation is not enough to fix existing issues without trial and error, and since the board has no Ethernet and no mode similar to FEL boot (at least not a good documented one), it means burning through SD cards
  • BootROM is quite picky on SD cards, so you'll need to have a good one for working with this board
  • Whole system design is kind of questionable. Different kernel drivers talk to the modem for a variety of reasons, and existing kernel pretty much relies on properly initialized modem. This definitely won't help with the kernel cleanup
7 minutes ago, hojnikb said:

there seem to be user generated armbian images on the orange pi facebook group.

There is an "Armbian image" on the Orange Pi download page too, which I'm definitely not happy about

20 minutes ago, @lex said:

Can you please clarify your roadmap on this device?

Preferred roadmap:

• Throw away drivers that can't be tested: camera, display, GPU, VPU, gouda, ...
  • Port all that is left on top of a clean 3.10.x branch (and not an Android fork). Current Android kernel is a minefield, enabling/disabling kernel config options (even not HW related ones) has a good chance of resulting in a compilation error

What will be done on practice? Who knows...

On 3/2/2017 at 8:03 AM, tkaiser said:

At least it's not dead already (and we know which image sensor Xunlong chose): https://github.com/OrangePiLibra/OrangePi_Camera

Just a small comment, looking at the manual the CSI pins looks like they are not reversed as usually on all OPIs which is a good thing, if that is correct no way to use the OPI camera, but there is ov5642 driver that may be in good shape.

If they release the LCD with the attached camera as in manual it will be of good use but is only 0.3 MP.

6 hours ago, @lex said:

Just a small comment, looking at the manual the CSI pins looks like they are not reversed as usually on all OPIs which is a good thing, if that is correct no way to use the OPI camera, but there is ov5642 driver that may be in good shape.

So which camera modules would fit there? Those from FriendlyELEC?

BTW: https://github.com/OrangePiLibra/OrangePi_Camera/blob/master/OrangePi_Camera.conf#L4

4 hours ago, tkaiser said:

So which camera modules would fit there? Those from FriendlyELEC?

BTW: https://github.com/OrangePiLibra/OrangePi_Camera/blob/master/OrangePi_Camera.conf#L4

Attached is the FPC pinout for analysis.

pinout_fpc.thumb.jpg.52278c88b70bf2f622afb958cec35696.jpg

From the manual (CSI connector):

pinout_board.jpeg.f712fce0f4d95ddde3514b56ef0bca48.jpeg

Your link just confirm the sensor is GC0309 (the one attached to the LCD panel) and that is 0.3 MP sensor.

If the metallic contacts face down, OV5640 seems to fit but there is no OV5640 driver in the kernel only OV5642.

But i am not sure the connector representation is at the board side or at the LCD side (that would means it needs an extension/conversion of signals), i leave this review to the HW guys.

From some of SDK files related to the build target for the 2G-IOT

+NollecA11S15V8810P
   chip: 8810P
   crystal oscillator
   wifi: 5991g
   camera: GC0328(back)+GC0309(front)
   screen: RM68180/ILI9806H(WVGA)   3.5inchs   480*800  MCU
   nand: 4Gbit   pagesize 4096byte       blocksize 262144byte
   ddr:  2Gbit
   modem: doulemode 2g
#camera sensor selection
# supported list in device/rda/driver/camera/inc/
# RDA_CUSTOMER_DRV_CSB := GC0309
RDA_CUSTOMER_DRV_CSB := GC2035
#RDA_CUSTOMER_DRV_CSF := GC0329
#RDA_CUSTOMER_DRV_ATV := RDA5888

Edit:

➜  ~  % ls -1 ~/rda/OrangePi_2G-IOT_Android/device/rda/driver/camera/inc
gc0308_config.h
gc0309_config_back.h
gc0309_config_front.h
gc0309_config.h
gc0310_csi_config.h
gc0312_config.h
gc0313_csi_config.h
gc0328c_config.h
gc0328_config.h
gc0329_config.h
gc0409_csi_config.h
gc2035_config.h
gc2035_csi_config.h
gc2145_config.h
gc2145_csi_config.h
gc2155_config.h
gc2355_csi_config.h
rda2201_config.h
rda2201_csi_config.h
sp0718_config.h
sp0a09_csi_config.h
sp0a20_csi_config.h
sp2508_csi_config.h
➜  ~  %

But, again, I would say that camera stuff is a really low priority task right now

24 minutes ago, @lex said:

If the metallic contacts face down, OV5640 seems to fit but there is no OV5640 driver in the kernel only OV5642.

I'm not sure where the metallic contacts are in the camera connector, but if you look at the board photos you can see pin numbering - pin 1 is near the antenna connector and pin 24 is near the GPIO header.

Edit:

camera.PNG.9630a74c96cb5d34c35d165943371edb.PNG

The 40-pin connector isn't dedicated to LCD, it provides different GPIO/UART/I2C.

It is up to you to attach a LCD properly suing some of those pins.

Also, it is depending of your LCD requirement : is it simply to display some things from python scripts, or you wish to have full Linux display ?

(For the full Linux display, I would bet that drivers will be difficult to obtain for this board)

54 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

The 40-pin connector isn't dedicated to LCD, it provides different GPIO/UART/I2C.

Display connector (ZIF or whatever this type is called) is 40 pin too. It has SPI, I2C, power (including power for LED backlight) and some kind of paralled LCD interface.

AFAIK there are no compatible premade displays for this pinout, but I heard that Xunlong may start to sell compatible displays (assuming they can make the software work well enough)

Hi bro:

I'm porting AT command to OrangePi 2G-IOT, but it's different, has a lot of problem on modem,

On Android demo code, program utilizes /dev/ttyMux0 or /dev/ttyMux1 to exchange AT command,

but on Linux, I can't find /dev/ttyMux0 or /dev/ttyMux1.

I'm serach source code that registers /dev/ttyMux. but.... on /kernel/drivers/tty/serial/  , no API or code segment to achive it..

So, I want to know how to register /dev/ttyMux...

Send message utilize /dev/socket on Android, but the same way... no /dev/socked on Linux....

This is github of OrangePi 2G-IOT:  https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/OrangePi

I originally got a bit excited when I saw this board because I've been wanting to do an IOT project for a while.

But the lack of a working linux image and working 2G Modem environment keeps me away from working with it.

I'm a software developer but I've not delved into Linux yet.

Also the sound of burning through microSD cards because there's no FEL or whatever is very offputting also. It means making small changes requires manual time wasting of swapping cards.

On that note I once saw someone made a microSD emulator for RbPi development. But they never became popular.

There are microSD extension cables, and it should be possible to hack one up between a embedded board and a USB microSD card reader with some digital switches or relays inbetween.

@tkaiser thanks for sharing regarding the 2G shutdown. That's scary. I had no idea.

I guess 2G will still be an option in developing countries for a while.

5 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

As noted previously in this thread, default baud rate for the BootROM, Andriod images and experimental Armbian images is 921600. Xunlong Linux image uses 115200 AFAIK, but you'll get some garbage from BootROM and u-boot before kernel switches to 115200.

Thank you, this did the trick !

This should be stickied somewhere :D

Now, if someone would figure out how to flash "armbian" image to nand (and strip it to fit nand). 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.