Orange Pi Zero wireless module status (XRADIO / ST CW1200)

hmartin

I'm using the OPI0 as an AP [...] as soon as I play a Youtube video it all starts failing

So please go visit https://lede-project.org/supported_devices and choose a supported device. If you really want to use crappy Wi-Fi (single antenna, 2.4 GHz band only) there are a lot of cheap AP to choose from. Please also note that you're using legacy kernel and literally no one ever will be that dumb to even touch this driver version.

Why the hell do people buy an SBC if they want an AP instead? Is it really saving the few bucks? Why are people that weird and believe in advertising and then add also (wrong) assumptions to that ("if there's Wi-Fi I expect it to be performant and stable, it has to be useable as access point and of course with monitor mode too")?

BTW: the thread you entered with support questions is a developer thread talking about tweaks for the mainline variant of the driver or similarities with a different and already present driver there. In the meantime I think it was a mistake starting to support those cheap H3 devices and it got even worse with H2+ :(

What to do with the pollution of this thread (whining and support questions)?

Feb  1 18:21:59 localhost kernel: [  314.740116] [AP_WRN] Multicast delivery timeout.

You have multicast stream on your network? This kills even router class AP. You need to block it.

What to do with the pollution of this thread (whining and support questions)?

I won't be working on the cw1200 mainline driver anymore. From my conversations with dgp, even if I did modify it enough to work with the cw1160 in the Orange Pi Zero, performance would be as crap as Allwinner's driver from the SDK.

So let's lock the thread and people discovering the shitty performance can go complain in Orangepi forums.

So let's lock the thread and people discovering the shitty performance can go complain in Orange Pi Zero went to the market

Ok, for all the "Buy cheap, Buy twice" fellows doing the necessary research only after they bought hardware here's a great (and the official) place to discuss the funny mismatch between expectations and reality: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=67

• Werner unpinned this topic