compile.sh and 4.9.0 kernel

jerryc

I have searched all the forums, can't find a way to use compile.sh build a image with the kernel to be 4.9.0 version.  Is there a variable some where to set this?  the latest 4.9.4 and 4.9.3 are not working well for my nanopi or my orange zero.

and yes, i went through all the docs, and tried I can.

-jerry

Adding something like 

[[ $BOARD == orangepizero && $BRANCH == dev ]] && KERNELBRANCH="tag:v4.9.0"

to userpatches/lib.config may work, but

• You may need to adjust some patches if there are any conflicts
  • H3 specific fixes that were added after 4.9.0 will not be included, so you may create more problems than solve
  • 4.9.4 works for me on Zero, tested today. The best way to solve any issues is providing a serial console log

My Zero works too.  It is just the image with 4.9.0 kernel with Ethernet as 100 Full duplex and 4.9.4 with half duplex.  4.9.4 also doesn't work with my new Nano Pi Neo.  Yes, I do understand, I need the console log.  Still trying to figure out how to attach it and getting a USB to serial as well.

My overall frustration is, I do understand perfectly that dev branches are not suppose to be release quality.  It will be good if we mark as a community that certain images are better than others. 

Adding something like 

[[ $BOARD == orangepizero && $BRANCH == dev ]] && KERNELBRANCH="tag:v4.9.0"

to userpatches/lib.config may work, but

• You may need to adjust some patches if there are any conflicts
  • H3 specific fixes that were added after 4.9.0 will not be included, so you may create more problems than solve
  • 4.9.4 works for me on Zero, tested today. The best way to solve any issues is providing a serial console log

Regarding NanoPi Neo - Ethernet is not enabled in the DT since we changed the configuration, it should be fixed eventually, but from out perspective "No Ethernet" is different from "doesn't work at all / doesn't boot" even if from your perspective it looks the same - you can't connect via SSH - that's why any kind of log or more info is needed to confirm any issue.

Edit: if you want to try a quick&dirty fix for the Ethernet on the Neo, you may try adding

fdtfile=sun8i-h3-orangepi-one.dtb

to the /boot/armbianEnv.txt file on the SD card

Got it, so the neo is a exact copy of orange one? I assume it is.   Any idea on when will the ethernet be re-enabled?

Yes, now I got the ethernet working with your new config line. 

Now I am running into the same issue that I am having in orange pi zero with the nano pi.  The interface is again stuck at 100MB in half duplex.   Are all of these problems all related? 

Got it, so the neo is a exact copy of orange one? I assume it is.

Not a copy, but most things will be compatible enough for the purpose of testing.

Any idea on when will the ethernet be re-enabled?

When/if anybody of the devs creates a patch or if anybody makes a pull request. For now this is a very low priority task.

Now I am running into the same issue that I am having in orange pi zero with the nano pi.  The interface is again stuck at 100MB in half duplex.   Are all of these problems all related? 

No idea. As I said before in some other thread, the driver development was discontinued, so everything will be as it is now for a while.

Regarding the ethernet driver development discontinued.  Is that part of sunxi-linux or armbian?  (sorry I am new to this).  If the driver is no longer operational (or operate with some problems, possible to go back to something that was working?)  Is this from upstream kernel or from armbian?  

Is this something that a newbie can help?

-jerry

Not a copy, but most things will be compatible enough for the purpose of testing.

When/if anybody of the devs creates a patch or if anybody makes a pull request. For now this is a very low priority task.

No idea. As I said before in some other thread, the driver development was discontinued, so everything will be as it is now for a while.

The Ethernet driver is from an upstream kernel source, and the best way of helping is just being patient.

If you want to run ahead of the "vanilla" mainline kernel and u-boot, you need to take full responsibility for your actions: if a OS image works for you, it may be better to stick to the current version and not updating in hopes that something will be better because something may get worse too, regressions are expected, and issues will be fixed eventually.

Got it, so the neo is a exact copy of orange one? I assume it is.   Any idea on when will the ethernet be re-enabled?

Not a exact copy. Il seems usb are not the same, you don't have a working usb on nanopi neo if using orange pi one.

Ethernet driver status : http://linux-sunxi.org/Sun8i_emac#Statushttp://linux-sunxi.org/Sun8i_emac#Status

The driver is not in mainline yet. It exists two driver for the moment.

The first, sun8i-emac, is a standalone driver You can find the latest sun8i-emac driver version on https://github.com/montjoie/linux/tree/sun8i-emac-wip This driver will never reach mainline and development is discontinued. But this is still the more stable driver for use.

The second is sun8i-stmmac, still in development, is a glue to the stmmac driver. You can find the current version at https://github.com/montjoie/linux/tree/stmmac-sun8i-wip