Does Orange Pi Zero have 2 Serial Ports?

gailu

Hi Experts,

I am using Armbian on Orange Pi Zero and image is working fine and we can access armbian console withe the three pins next to ethernet port. However we see that there are Rx, Tx pin on 26 pin header compatible to Raspberry pi. 

When we connect the console to the GND/Rx/Tx on 26 pin header we do not get console so my understanding is that there is a dedicated serial port for console that can be accessed from GND/Rx/Tx next to ethernet port and Serial port on Tx/Rx pins on 26 pin header is different.

We need extra serial port to connect our UART based peripheral. So I am wondering if I can use the Rx/Tx/GND on 26 pin header, if yes how do I use them i.e. what is the /dev/tty entry for serial port on 26 pin header on Armbian?

I know I can use USB to serial converter to connect my peripheral but if I can use existing pins on board why not use them and avoid extra cost.

Looking for expert advice.

Based on this information: 3 Expansion Port OrangePi Zero has 3 UART ports. 2 on the 26 pin header and 1 on a separate header, used for debugging. If these UART ports are enabled in the kernel (using DTB or FEX file) you should be able to open them using /dev/ttyS0-2. You can easily test it by placing a jumper over the TX and RX pins and open the serial port.

screen /dev/ttyS1 57600

When you type something you should see it in your console.