RK3328 Kernel

Peba

15 minutes ago, Ruslan Dzanmahmudov said:

I'm pretty interested into powering Tinker through GPIO. By now I don't know, whether you've posted something what explains *how* you've connected the power source to GPIO pins. If you do not mind, would you please post a picture, or a small schematics how you've powered the Tinker via GPIO? I would not do this on RPi, but with RK808 handling all the power management, I would like to try that one out.

Just connect your 5V to pins 2 and 4 and ground to pin 6 of the GPIO header.

This goes straight to the power input of the RK808. It bypasses the input over voltage protection and current limit. Make sure you don't put in more than 5.5V

Edit: Further reading of the schematic (providing it's accurate) shows you should be able to power it directly from a single lipo battery. Obviously this won't put 5V out to any USB devices you connect though.

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

Just connect your 5V to pins 2 and 4 and ground to pin 6 of the GPIO header.

This goes straight to the power input of the RK808. It bypasses the input over voltage protection and current limit. Make sure you don't put in more than 5.5V

Edit: Further reading of the schematic (providing it's accurate) shows you should be able to power it directly from a single lipo battery. Obviously this won't put 5V out to any USB devices you connect though.

Yes, that' sit.  For the more advanced that want additional robustness, add a 5.3 V zener diode for overvolt protection on 5.0 to 5.25 Volt supplies and a capacitor to help reduce ripple if that is a concern (it can also soak up surge demand by the USB peripherals)  A low-profile hat would be best for the more paranoid among us, I personally put an electrolytic and ceramic on mine to clean up any noise.

On 17/5/2017 at 11:13 PM, Ruslan Dzanmahmudov said:

sudo armbianmonitor -p minerd --benchmark

12:11:53: 1608MHz  3.92   5%   0%   4%   0%   0%   0% 64.2°C
[2017-05-19 12:11:57] thread 0: 7749 hashes, 1.50 khash/s
[2017-05-19 12:11:57] thread 1: 7383 hashes, 1.43 khash/s
[2017-05-19 12:11:58] thread 2: 8001 hashes, 1.52 khash/s

[2017-05-19 12:11:57] thread 3: 7608 hashes, 1.51 khash/s

[2017-05-19 12:11:57] Total: 6.14 khash/s

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:14:57: 1608MHz  4.04   6%   0%   6%   0%   0%   0% 63.3°C

[2017-05-19 12:14:57] thread 0: 8061 hashes, 1.53 khash/s

[2017-05-19 12:14:57] thread 1: 7137 hashes, 1.52 khash/s

[2017-05-19 12:14:57] thread 2: 7671 hashes, 1.47 khash/s
[2017-05-19 12:14:57] thread 3: 7788 hashes, 1.51 khash/s
[2017-05-19 12:14:57] Total: 6.18 khash/s
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:15:39: 1608MHz  4.21   7%   0%   6%   0%   0%   0% 63.3°C

[2017-05-19 12:15:42] thread 0: 5247 hashes, 1.56 khash/s

[2017-05-19 12:15:42] thread 1: 7479 hashes, 1.43 khash/s
[2017-05-19 12:15:42] thread 2: 7500 hashes, 1.55 khash/s
[2017-05-19 12:15:42] thread 3: 7827 hashes, 1.61 khash/s
[2017-05-19 12:15:42] Total: 6.21 khash/s

Very stable in temperatures and everything

Linux tinkerboard 4.4.66-rockchip #1 SMP Mon May 8 00:40:43 CEST 2017 armv7l @1.6Ghz

At idle 30ºC-33ºC.

And i'm waiting for bring new heatsink

pic2.jpeg

pic3.jpeg

If it is your goal to beat TKs X4 I would recommend this overclocker page http://bbs.t-firefly.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=257   

By the way, there is Intel and AMD there Processors have up to 14 Cores and more, need 170W can can easily beat every result here in idle.

Keep coming the coolers, please do not forget the oil cooling.

There is some irony in this posting

Edited by Tido
typo

3 minutes ago, Tido said:

There is some irony in this posting

Ignoring your 'irony' for obvious reasons since this is not Kindergarten here but a forum with a very active thread visited/watched by many users:

• 'Overclocking' including prerequisits is addressed already at download page: https://www.armbian.com/tinkerboard/
  • The reason for testing with cpuminer is that it's a nice tool to educate users in shortest time possible how/whether they're affected by insufficient heat dissipation and/or insufficient powering. And for developers like @TonyMac32and others trying to improve settings minerd --benchmark is also great since it's the most efficient way to come up with sane dvfs/cpufreq OPP tables. That's the only reason why I recommended it.
  • Wrt khash/s differences between Cortex-A17 running at 1.8 GHz and Cortex-A15 running at 2.0 GHz this is also interesting since cpuminer uses NEON optimizations and with other workloads A17 and A15 seems to perform identical at same clockspeeds. So that's just something that moved onto my TODO list to be checked later (later means once Armbian is running fine on Tinkerboard & Co. I'll get an older RK3288 Chromebook on eBay to have a cheap laptop without Google crap spying on me)

Thank you for your long explanation.

I already posted and linked dvfs/cpufreq OPP tables somewhere here on page 6 or /

If you build up a test-bench, fine by me. The picture above is a closed enclosure with a huge fan on top of it :rolleyes:

Jeee, you are in the market for a RK3288, brilliant. Have you resent an Email to ASUS for your Engineering Sample ?

Hello all,

Here is Patrick from France.

I am looking for informations about this board that I want to use to astronomic applications. This board has a powerful GPU that can be use for it.

The software I will use are graphic consuming.

One of them, Stellarium, needs 3D acceleration to work fluently.

I have the board and I have compiled the software on it. Unfortunately the armbian looks to don't have graphic acceleration.

Is there versions of linux OS that can provide graphic acceleration today ?

Regards

Patrick

3D graphics card which supports OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.3

I am not sure you will find a board and OS with those requirements. There are some wrappers between Open GL ES (which is possible to run on those boards = simple version of Open GL) and OpenGL, but you are hitting development area.

Concerning the OpenGL ES side, using the proprietary drivers and my patched kernel, I've been able to run all the Mali GLES FBdev SDK samples, whether they use Compute Shaders or Occlusion culling, using FBdev and KMS drivers. I'm also able to run the different variants of glmark2, but that's OpenGL ES 2.x samples so...

I haven't any OpenGL ES 3.x benchmarks for Linux systems, anyway :mellow:

Now, as pointed in this whole thread : Powering the whole board with something better than the micro USB would be very wise if you want to run GPU intensive applications on it, or else you might suffer from bad lags and worse.

Also, be sure that your application is OpenGL ES and Embedded friendly (Manage your bandwith, draw front to back, draw transparent elements last, prefer small and optimized shaders to big generic shaders, ...), if you want to get the maximum performances from the board. See the ARM® Mali™ Application Developer Best Practices for more informations on how to optimize things for Mali GPU.

That said, I've run all the Mali samples while powering the board with a Micro USB cable between my PC front USB ports and the board. :lol: *ducks*.

That said, if you create a new GLES project, in 2017, on Linux systems, try to focus on the DRM/KMS side, or the Wayland side if you want to target windowing systems. The FBdev interface, while being greatly supported by the ARM team right now, is also deprecated by the Linux kernel team since a few years and is likely to be abandoned. I mean, the main maintainer of the FBdev interface has quit a few months ago, and nobody replaced him.

Edit : My main way to run the OpenGL ES samples using the proprietary drivers is to create a shell alias commands, that run the targeted software with the appropriate GLES drivers, in a "Nvidia optimus bumblebee drivers" fashion, like this:

In the .bashrc

alias mali_drm=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/mali/drivers/wayland

alias mali_fbdev=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/mali/drivers/fbdev

In the shell

$ mali_drm ./drm_kms_gles_program # Run this program using the proprietary GLES KMS drivers

$ mali_fbdev ./fbdev_gles_program # Run this program using the proprietary GLES FBdev drivers

That's clunky, though.

10 hours ago, Tido said:

Thank you for your long explanation.

I already posted and linked dvfs/cpufreq OPP tables somewhere here on page 6 or /

If you build up a test-bench, fine by me. The picture above is a closed enclosure with a huge fan on top of it :rolleyes:

Jeee, you are in the market for a RK3288, brilliant. Have you resent an Email to ASUS for your Engineering Sample ?

is a closed enclosure / sure... =)

It has outlet holes in the bottom that is raised.

Next time u can ask. =)

sorry 4 my english and this offtopic .

7 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

@Myy, have you looked at the Rockchip packages in the Rockchip Repo?  I just saw the "Packages" part of that, poking around.

I remember that they had a repository named "rootfs", which had Debian packages for the proprietary drivers and their video codecs libraries. I see that they renamed it rk-rootfs-build. Their packages worked when I tested them, however they were only generated for one specific version of Debian (Debian 9 I think, if I'm not mistaken), and so they tend to depend on specific outdated components versions sometimes.

Also, since the drivers provided by the ARM Mali team seem to have better support for some technologies, at some points, I made my little aliases scripts to juggle with the different drivers.

That said, on my Gentoo system, I tried to use their drivers to run different KMS/DRM and Wayland GL benchmarks and they work fine. Using mutter and qtwayland was a mess, but I blame these projects for providing terrible error messages and poorly written documentation.

Hello again, I've got a new SD card, SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I.

Because of the restart bug in newer kernel builds, I have flashed the 4.4.66 kernel, made apt-get update && apt-get upgrade ... and reboot is not working properly.

Is the reboot patch applied to your armbian 5.27 version with 4.4.66 kernel build for our Tinker?

EDIT: I've flashed the SD with Etcher, ~15MB/s with validation successful

Thanks

excuse my ignorance, but what's the correct way to get on the development kernel? I'm currently running 4.11

I've tried reading the following with no success:
http://www.armbian.com/kernel/
https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/#how-to-switch-kernels

All I could find on apt is:

root@hass:~# apt list *tinkerboard*
Listing... Done
linux-u-boot-tinkerboard-next/now 5.27 armhf [installed,local]
linux-xenial-root-next-tinkerboard/now 5.27 armhf [installed,local]
root@hass:~#

8 hours ago, cyberk said:

Thank you, looks like I'm on the following now:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.27.170523 nightly Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS 4.11.2-rockchip

Than inside you have three branches, default, next and dev. You are using next branch now ... try switching between them in armbian-config.

Hello everybody,

I just  try this morning to make tinkerboard to create its own network with the networking manager. I tested hotspot and adhoc.

Despite the fact that the network looks to be up (maybe yes, maybe not because in hotspot mode the icon looks like a RJ45 plug and 4 bars in adhoc) I can't connect any devices to it. Looks like handshake or authorisation doesn't work.

Does anybody have met the problem and any idea to solve it.

Patrick

I loaded kernel 4.4 today and reproduced the thermal shutdown condition (although not get to shut down) with my larger heat sink (it hit 85 C and hung around there), that pitiful little fan I have was enough to keep it from happening *but* turn off the fan and you're done.

The GPU polling rate is incredibly slow, mainline is 10x faster, the CPU polling is 2x faster on mainline than legacy as well, I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

28 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

I loaded kernel 4.4 today and reproduced the thermal shutdown condition (although not get to shut down) with my larger heat sink (it hit 85 C and hung around there)

The thermal resistance of the thermal interface material between the chip and the heatsink will also play a big part. 

When I replaced my heatsink with a bigger one I used a different type of thermal pad. I noticed the one on the heatsink that came with the tinkerboard wasn't contacting the entire surface of the chip, despite pushing it down relatively hard when I put it on.

Right, but like I've said before, my setup cools quite well, I used a thermal epoxy since there's no hope of a nice mechanical attachment. (25x50 mm heatsink with a little notch to clear that inductor beside the codec), this processor is simply capable of some serious dissipation.  It was unlikely mine would go clear to shutdown, although I didn't let it either way, it was simply significantly exceeding the trip points. I also have no such issues with 4.11 or 4.12.  ;-)  I've made the adjustments to the dtb and am testing.  Definite improvement, however I need to look at the hysteresis values I think, it's jumping to higher clocks prematurely.

[edit]

Forgot to say, no fan, only larger heatsink I'm seeing 75 C maximum (25 minutes test).  I hit 85 C within 5 minutes before stopping the test before the patch to the tree.  I'm also evaluating the core voltages used here.

[edit]  Patch with updated polling and trip points in, voltages will not be experimented with until proper stability testing is performed. 

The system was up for just over 2 hours running minerd with the patch, temperature never climbed above 75 C with or without fan.  Try it out, I don't have the same cooling solution as the rest of you, I want the feedback. 

On 5/24/2017 at 5:36 AM, TonyMac32 said:

Right, but like I've said before, my setup cools quite well, I used a thermal epoxy since there's no hope of a nice mechanical attachment. (25x50 mm heatsink with a little notch to clear that inductor beside the codec), this processor is simply capable of some serious dissipation.  It was unlikely mine would go clear to shutdown, although I didn't let it either way, it was simply significantly exceeding the trip points. I also have no such issues with 4.11 or 4.12.  ;-)  I've made the adjustments to the dtb and am testing.  Definite improvement, however I need to look at the hysteresis values I think, it's jumping to higher clocks prematurely.

[edit]

Forgot to say, no fan, only larger heatsink I'm seeing 75 C maximum (25 minutes test).  I hit 85 C within 5 minutes before stopping the test before the patch to the tree.  I'm also evaluating the core voltages used here.

[edit]  Patch with updated polling and trip points in, voltages will not be experimented with until proper stability testing is performed. 

The system was up for just over 2 hours running minerd with the patch, temperature never climbed above 75 C with or without fan.  Try it out, I don't have the same cooling solution as the rest of you, I want the feedback. 

Sorry, I try to understand what you want, but I don't quite get it, since I would like to help out.

I'm currently on 4.4.66 kernel, should I try to produce thermal breakdown? Like shutdown?

I've also changed my setup. I've bought new power supply rated between 5V-12V (with a regulator, step-wise +1V) and measured the output of it on its 5V rail.
It was idle +5,27V - what for me is satisfying enough. After that, I though I would solder the + and - output of it straight to Tinkers' USB power input.

But since I had to de-solder that port to be able to get to the needed lines, I've opened the micro USB end of a USB cable, which I had bought with a phone, and cracked the jack to open it. I saw 3 solder points on one side and 2 on the other, figured out, which lines are VCC and GND, and soldered the cable of the power supply straight to the back of micro USB jack. :) Finally!

I've tested it, and now it's up and running. Minderd was also w/o any troubles. So, back to your statement, @TonyMac32, what do you want me (/us) to do :)?

Run minderd w/o cooling on 4.4.66 and check the 'sudo armbianmonitor -m' for temp and system responsiveness?

USB-Jack Image source: http://neverstopbuilding.com/wiring-micro-usb-pinout

usb-microb-plug-connector-4.jpg

I've opened the micro USB end of a USB cable, which I had bought with a phone, and cracked the jack to open it. I saw 3 solder points on one side and 2 on the other, figured out, which lines are VCC and GND, and soldered the cable of the power supply straight to the back of micro USB jack.

Instead of butchering a cable I just bought some gold plated* connectors

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-10sets-5PIN-Micro-USB-Male-Plug-Connectors-Charger-5P-USB-Tail-Charging-Socket-4/32699256179.html

I then use 18awg wire and glue-lined heatshrink as the shell's don't fit well with thick cables

* the gold plating is probably so thin it won't last more than a few insertions

To use this a power-only charging cable for a phone, you'll probably want to short pins 2 & 3 together so the phone knows it's a dedicated charging supply.