RK3328 Kernel

Peba

14 hours ago, dragonlost said:

I use image : Armbian_5.33_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.13.3_desktop . I use etcher for flash sdcard.

I have no problem with network manager just permission connection editing problem. What are permission for editing connection in network manger ?

Sounds like the user you are logged in as a user that hasn’t been added to the correct groups. Did you create a new user?

Can you post the output of:

ls -la /etc/NetworkManager/

cat /etc/group

There was an issue with board support packages after the last stable release and most likely images that were rebuilt afterwards (including Tinkerboard images) have this bug - policykit files were placed in a wrong directory, which affected NetworkManager, stutdown/reboot from the desktop menu and other things that rely on policykit.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:30 AM, TonyMac32 said:

Basic status update here (31 followers of thread) 

• All mainline kernels support wireless
  • All kernels reboot properly
  • Mainline kernel HDMI hotplug now supported

Are these kernels out of beta? I do a dist-upgrade and see nothing as of yet, still on 4.11.6

18 minutes ago, Frostbyte said:

Are these kernels out of beta?

We plan to put them into stable repository after in deep testing. https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/5149-upcoming-release-date-feature-freeze/ Simply contact @Tido to put you on a list and he will note you when we are ready for a final round of testing. ... if you want to help us out and make this happen sooner.

28 minutes ago, Igor said:

We plan to put them into stable repository after in deep testing. https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/5149-upcoming-release-date-feature-freeze/ Simply contact @Tido to put you on a list and he will note you when we are ready for a final round of testing. ... if you want to help us out and make this happen sooner.

Thanks! :)

Sound isn't really that bad to enable, but last I checked it made some awful noises.  The short of it is that ASUS/Rockchip decided not to use the on-board audio of the SoC and instead used a USB codec that I can't find any drivers for other than "Generic USB"  Certain audio sources output horrific noises, so I never changed the settings to enable it by default.

To be fair debugging that completely slipped my mind as I never have a chance to use the thing as anything but a test box.  Let me look around for this, it is a giant hole in the side of the only real use case for this board...

12 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Sound isn't really that bad to enable, but last I checked it made some awful noises.  The short of it is that ASUS/Rockchip decided not to use the on-board audio of the SoC and instead used a USB codec that I can't find any drivers for other than "Generic USB"  Certain audio sources output horrific noises, so I never changed the settings to enable it by default.

To be fair debugging that completely slipped my mind as I never have a chance to use the thing as anything but a test box.  Let me look around for this, it is a giant hole in the side of the only real use case for this board...

@TonyMac32 Thanks for looking into this. In the mean time, is there some instruction for me to enable sound over HDMI in the mainline nightly build? I really only need sound in Chromium.

I'm quite impressed by the Armbian. x2goclient runs so much smoother in Armbian than TinkerOS 2.01. I recorded a screencast to show this:

https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-663.html

@Minty I haven't run into that issue, I can test it later (power outage at the moment)

@badrobitsame basic message, I've not had any permission issues with Wifi, have you done anything specific with the image before trying to use wireless?  Did you have any issues creating the default user, use ether to burn the image, etc?

@TonyMac32 I haven't done anything to the image. I flash it to my SD card using the etcher tool on Windows 10, boot the TinkerBoard, update the root password to ubuntu, create a new user (ubuntu) set its password to ubuntu and then hit enter for all the questions about the user. I then attempt to connect to my hidden wifi network. I provide the SSID, and select the WEP & WPA2 Personal option provide the password and hit enter. I then get a popup saying "Failed to add new connection (1) Insufficient privileges. 

2 hours ago, gururise said:

Anyone able to get sound over HDMI or through the audio out to work?

I have not tried over HDMI.  The audio out can be enabled by setting up the proper output, there are some posts about that earlier in the thread.  The caveat is some random noise output that is pretty bad, which I haven't had opportunity to figure out so I haven't enabled it.  

Hello.

Like badrobit. On the RC5 and RC4 version of the nightIy no longer have the right to edit or add to the conection on network-manager with the account created at startup. Yet it seems to me that this problem had been solved in the RC3 nightly by correcting the location of the policies. (the stable and next version have the same problem).

I've added RPi 7" DSI touchscreen support to the 4.4 kernel, I will work on patching it into mainline as well, but no guarantee, it is not the cleanest of drivers (requires modifying the dw-mipi-dsi.c file), and this patch is MiQi safe.

This would have been done earlier, but I had to make sure it would work by declaring the hardware in the device tree instead of explicitly in the kernel source. (and make sure it didn't break the MiQi)  As it turns out, I was incredibly overthinking the problem, cheers to the Linux kernel devs. :beer:

Tested OK with this configuration: 

• Tinker with DSI Display
  • Tinker with DSI Display and HDMI display
    • (displays are "on top of each other" on first boot, drag the smaller display around in the desktop settings and you have an extended desktop)
    • Touchscreen driver is not robust against this configuration.  It tries to cover the full extended desktop.
  • Tinker with only HDMI (no ghost devices/errors/crashes. Tested to be sure the drivers could cope with not finding the hardware, as the device tree entries are still there)
  • MiQi (as it does not have the DT entries, merely a test to make sure no source/driver interactions)

a couple days ago, but:  https://www.asus.com/uk/Single-Board-Computer/Tinker-Board/HelpDesk_Download/

Version 2.0.3 Beta  Version 2017/10/30   some points from the changelog:

• Let USB audio card would not break the PulseAudio's some setting.
  • Add more hardware interface config (SPI0/UART2/UART3/UART4/PCM) setting at hw_intf.conf.
  • Update QT5, GStreamer, xserver packages  ... (maybe related to this post on github)
  • Modify DTS overlay folder name & add prefix/postfix for overlay file(s)

and so on

6 minutes ago, Tido said:

Version 2.0.3 Beta

Unfortunately, being beta, I don't believe any of the changes are reflected in the github.  I do need to go through and see what's been added to the Tinker-specific kernel in the past few months, and again see what I can do to make it work with MiQi (This is not MiQi's fault, this is pure Tinker Board nonsense).

If you want to do audio testing, the capability has always been there, but when I first tried it there was a lot of ugly (and potentially dangerous) noise on certain files/bitrates.  See

Sound was never disabled, you just had to do your homework to get it.  Since I was trying to get a lot of other things working at the time I did not patch the suspect settings into the system for the fear of breaking things.  You enable this at your own risk, once enough people with enough time show me enough evidence that all is well we can see about setting it up to work out of the box.

My recommendation is to use a cheap speaker and keep the volume low, cycle through various bitrates and sources/programs before trusting it until we can be reasonably sure the Rockchip/PA demons have gone away.

I have not yet tried this with Mainline or Armbian Legacy.  At the moment I am experimenting with the Rockchip main 4.4 repo, this is extra super WIP for people who know it isn't going to work perfectly and can build their own:  https://github.com/Tonymac32/build

This board seems to work well for me with Armbian once I'd resolved the power supply issue. I'm running the ethernet link at 1G, sound is provided by an external CM108 device.  I'm mainly using it for light desktop work, browsing using Chromium and also running the Arduino IDE. Compared to a Pi3 it does all these tasks faster. :)

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.36 user-built Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 4.13.16-rockchip
System load:   0.00 0.00 0.00   Up time:       4 days
Memory usage:  7 % of 2005MB    IP:            10.xxx.yyy.zzz
CPU temp:      58°C
Usage of /:    23% of 15G

[ General system configuration (beta): armbian-config ]

Last login: Sun Jan 14 20:18:47 2018 from 10.xxx.yyy.zzz

Hello all,

I have initiated this project months ago : https://github.com/Patrick-81/NAFABox

I had on previous version of Armbian (5.32) solved (partially) the wifi instability. Today with new version whatever I do, the wifi remain instable.

Furthermore I tried to drive a focuser directly from the GPIO extension port. But I can't use it because of a leak of privileges.

To make it work I need the /dev/gpiomem public access.

I saw that it might be implemented in the last version of TinkerOS (2.0x). Will it be implemented in Armbian next versions ?

Because of this two problems my project remains not completed.

DO you think that both pf those issues can be fixed a=in a near future ?

Hello again. :)

I'm having a little issue that's been bugging me ever since I got the armbian running on the tinkerboard. My keyboard layout resets/defaults to US (QWERTY) after every reboot, forcing me to manually redo 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration', hitting enter a bunch of times (since somehow the settings when entering the setup are actually defaulting to what I set it to) and having it reconfigure the keyboard layout to AT (QWERTZ). I really don't know what's causing this and haven't found a solution to it.
'/etc/default/keyboard' shows me my default keyboard layout AT.
I believe it's due to the fact that my locales are set to english. (because I really don't like it when I get german translations when using commands, like apt or similar, I really prefer the english feedback)
So I don't want to set my locales to german as well, but my keyboard gotta have the AT layout, for obvious reasons.

On another topic:
I was wondering why armbian doesn't have the "usual" bootup sequence like for example the Raspberry Pi does, with services starting, generally the dmesg output that's scrolling over the screen. I just get a black screen until the GUI starts.
My question is: Is this due to me having no proper settings or is this state of the art for armbian?