33 33
Peba

Asus Tinkerboard

Recommended Posts

On 12/30/2018 at 8:14 PM, kngdmond said:

I'm having an issue with an 7" LCD touch screen and hoping someone might be able to give me some insight of where to look for a solution.  I've posted once before but at that time the LCD would not display at all but I've managed to get it to show up with mixed results. 

If I plug the HDMI into a tv, the display works fine.  Plugging into an LCD 7" made for an rPi the screen would be blue with no display.  I edited /boot/armbianEnx.txt and added:
extraargs=drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/800x480.bin video=HDMI-A-1:800x480@60.  I know the is oddball, but that's the actual size of the display and by adding this line I was able to boot into Armbian with a working display on the 7" screen.  I did try setting the line to 640x480, 1280x720, and 1920x1080.  I'd get no display with those settings.  The only one that would show a display booting was 800x480.  I did go to github and added LCDshow config lines for the LCD7B to armbianEnv.txt.  After adding LCDshow config lines and rebooting, 640x480 still had no display, but 720p, and 1080p booted to a black screen.

What I can't figure out is, if I boot using 800x480 with the 7" LCD I get a display but it breaks anything using SDl.  I get an error saying lvl0: Error initializong SDL! No currently active connector found.
But if I plug in a tv, boot, anything using SDL works.  If I hot swap the HDMI from the tv to the 7" LCD, the display works including SDL.  But the moment you change menu items or anything that requires an interaction with SDL, the screen will go black.  If I hot swap the HDMI back to the tv, I see the SDL error No currently active connector found.  I tested hot swapping from the TV to the 7" with 720p and 1080p and was able to get a display with SDL but with the same results once I change a menu or did something that required interaction with SDL the screen would go black.  Although the screen would not go black using the 800x480, the display would remain on and just present the SDL error.

So my question is why does the LCD display work by hot swapping. I've searched Google to try to find a solution, a file to modify, etc and I come up empty handed.  Any ideas??

Thank you.

Can you please install my media script, and see if you can play with any of the GBM players in the same circumstances that sdl is failing? That would give us some more info about where the issue can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 8:14 PM, kngdmond said:

I get an error saying lvl0: Error initializong SDL! No currently active connector found.

Looking for No currently active connector found on google tells that it is probably a message coming from kernel DRM.

Maybe the 7" LCD screen is not advertising itself correctly to the HDMI interface, or there's a bug in the DRM kernel code which prevents it working correctly.

 

I had to deal with a couple of Full-HD industrial panels (via DVI) and they usually refuse to display anything when they are not configured exactly with the resolution and refresh rate they expect.

I think this is a remote possibility, but supplying EDID manually may interfere somehow. You can read back EDID from the display using get-edit tool (see this for an example), at least you can understand if the display is advertising its modes correctly:

get-edid -b 5 | parse-edid

 

Edited by Tido
quote shorted for readability - please do that next time yourself, thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read the entire thread to find out how to see boot messages on HDMI, which were not appearing even if verbosity=7.

 

Turns out you need to specify console=tty0 in armbianEnv.txt instead of console=ttyS3...…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has been posted before.
Today I took the liberty and upgraded to 18.04.1 LTS via do-release-upgrade.
I'm noticing that /var/log almost immediately fills up by the journal, no matter how many times I delete it (I know you're not supposed to delete the filesystem journal)
Reaching 100% usage on /var/log causes a multitude of problematic behaviors (i.e. apt-get breaks)
 


user@TinkerBoard:/var/log$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev           1000M     0 1000M   0% /dev
tmpfs           201M   16M  186M   8% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p1   29G  6.4G   23G  23% /
tmpfs          1004M     0 1004M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs          1004M     0 1004M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs          1004M  4.0K 1004M   1% /tmp
/dev/zram0       49M   48M     0 100% /var/log
tmpfs           201M     0  201M   0% /run/user/1000


user@TinkerBoard:/var/log$ du -hsc /var/log/journal
48M     /var/log/journal
48M     total

 


Changing the SystemMaxFileSize value (i.e. to 30M) on /etc/systemd/journald.conf does not make the journaling system obey - it still fills up (even after a reboot).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 33