hostapd fails to start after upgrade from armbian repo

rom

Question

Hello,

on my cubietruck, I tried to upgrade a working hostpad install with the one provided by the armbian repository.

After upgrade, hostapd fails to start. Is there any particular prerequisite to using the armbian version ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

2 answers to this question

I faced similar problem after update, first backup your existing binaries/configs for Hostapd

most probably hostapd has been  updated to incorrect/incompatible version, you'll probably need to compile new one using this:

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/136-lamobo-r1-wifi-unstable-in-ap-host-mode-better-buy-a-good-wifi-dongle-with-proper-linux-support/

see msg #23 from Rui Rubiero, part on hostapd

next, you'll be maybe better to take your critical packages on hold (I do for hostapd, see 'apt-mark -h' for usage)

root@lamobo-r1# apt-mark showhold
hostapd

Then, do updates

BR.

E.

Help Armbian team helping you!

Thanks for the advice 

Actually, on Cubietruck, the kernel module for the embedded AP6210 wifi chipset is "brcmfmac" but I'll probably need Rui RUBIERO's procedure if I decide to switch to an rtl819cu based chipset because brcmfmac dosen't support WPS :\ unless someone demonstrates me the contrary.

When I use the command "hostapd_cli wps_pbc" on cli, hostapd_cli's output seems OK :

Selected interface 'wlan0'
OK

but I get the following messages in syslog :

brcmfmac: brcmf_vif_set_mgmt_ie: vndr ie set error : -30
brcmfmac: brcmf_config_ap_mgmt_ie: Set Beacon IE Failed

and nothing happens. If anyone knows how to get WPS mode working with "brcmfmac"...

I know it isn't an hostpad issue because I've already tried with a wifi USB and WPS works but I didn't go further with the wifi USB because it wasn't stable. I think it was an rtl8191cu based chipset by the way so maybe I should try again with a compiled module !

Thanks