OrangePi Lite - could WiFi work in WiFi-Direct mode (no router)?

abramq

Hello,

Is it possible to get a WiFi-Direct connection from OrangePi Lite to for example smartphone and send a file to it? I mean with not using router.

Thanks in advance for every answer! 

As I understand, you need to configure wifi interface as access point.

Well, as I know in WiFi-Direct all connected devices works as p2p, this is not Access Point model. I wonder why so many people don't know about this technology.

If you have smartphone try WiFi options, there should be WiFi-Direct mode - you can use it for example to send files from one smartphone to other, without using any other unit (router, AP, etc).

Yes wifi direct is not an ap point. cameras, printers and most screen casting devices use wifi direct.

i do not have any experience how it can be used from linux or computers overall.

Well, as I know in WiFi-Direct all connected devices works as p2p, this is not Access Point model. I wonder why so many people don't know about this technology.

If you have smartphone try WiFi options, there should be WiFi-Direct mode - you can use it for example to send files from one smartphone to other, without using any other unit (router, AP, etc).

I have googled some samples for connecting from Linux to Android over WiFi-Direct, should work, but the question is - does that WiFi card built in OrangePi Lite (or other unit, like NanoPi Neo Air) works in WiFi-Direct mode?

Because all depends on WiFi card, for example - a WiFi card built-in Raspberry Pi 3 doesn't work in WiFi-Direct mode, you have to add a WiFi dongle (which will be compatible with WiFi-Direct mode).

@abramq Sorry I don't know the answer, but maybe I can help.....

the Orange Pi Lite's (and the Orange Pi Pc Plus's, but these are the only 2 models I have, so maybe other models too) both load a module 8189fs,

Combined with this (https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1237-tutorial-opi-one-wireless-success/), I believe this is the Realtek 8189fs chipset.

When I quickly googled for "Realtek 8189fs wifi direct" I didn't find anything that confirms either way, but did find support for wifi direct with the Realtek 8188 and Realtek 8192 chipsets, so there is some hope that it might be possible.

Hopefully this is helpful and steers you in the right direction.

Dave.

Hi guys. I'm new to both Armbian and forum:) I'm looking for the solution similar to one found in ESP8266 NodeMCU. I'm talking about whats called End User Setup. The device first acts as router/webserver. User can connect to its WIFI and using the hosted frontend (html page) can scan for available wifi networks, use creditials to connect to choosen network. Once the connection is made, the device goes into client mode. 

Is there any way to achieve that in Orange PI using Armbian? i know its possible with two network adapters, but any way to get there using only one?