CubieTruck: File not found /boot/boot.bmp

CubieTourist

Hi there,

Armbian with 3.4.x Kernel has been running fine on my CubieTruck until upgrading to 5.25. Armbian is installed on NAND (using nand-sata-install), and there is also a SDcard and a harddrive connected for data storage.

Some days ago the upgrade to Armbian 5.25 appeared and I did a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. It took a long time and threw some warnings and errors - which I probably should have captured. I recall something regarding "cannot link image" or so... The whole upgrade finished completely at the end. Then the reboot... 

Now the the CubieTruck is not booting anymore. The error message is:

U-Boot 2017.1-armbian

Error: no valid bmp image at 66000000

In: serial

Out: vga

Err: vga

SCSI: Target spinup took 0ms.

AHCI ...

flags: ...

Net...

Hit any key to autoboot: 0

** File not found: /boot/boot.bmp **

** Unrecognized filesystem type **

There is no valid bmp file at the given address

switch to partition #0, OK

mmc0 is current device

Scanning mmc 0:1 ...

scanning bus for devices ...

Then it starts searching for a boot image via TFTP.

What can I do? Do I need to reinstall? Is it possible to just change some files, links, etc. to get it booting again?

Is this problem back again?
https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/690-upgrade-error-with-armbian-500-on-cubieboard2-running-from-nand/

I also experienced problems with the 5.24 (or was it 5.23?) upgrade made during Christmas. It also bricked the system on NAND, but I don't remember what went wrong. I reinstalled from scratch because no supporting tools where available far away from home.

With the right tools to hand it should be possible to recreate the boot files on NAND with the help of the linked thread.

As I have to do the 5.25 upgrade in the next days, I would appreciate when this problem gets sorted out sooner than later...

I just did:

- burn Armbian 5.20 (Armbian Xenial CLI) to SD card

- login, create user and run nand-install

- reboot

- apt update & upgrade

- rebooted many times just to make sure

Everything is fine ... except known bugs.

When you do such upgrades, be prepared and it's safer to acknowledge or show errors (than we can fix them if they are ours) to us before reboot.

Just did the 5.23 -> 5-25 upgrade on a Cubieboard2 (with NAND). Everything went fine!

In case someone tries to replicate the problem I mentioned, here a list with things that were different to your test setup:

• Debian Jessie Server instead of Xenical
  • SATA disk connected and mounted as /backup
  • SD card connected and mounted as /var/ftp/sdcard
  • old system was installed and last updated in summer 2016, so maybe another version and different update level of all packages

My current theory about what happened is: During the upgrade the SDcard as well as the SATA disk were mounted. The upgrade process wrote a boot signature to the SDcard - although it should have been on the NAND. So what probably happened was, that the upgrade wrote the boot signature to the SDcard and also tried to write the boot files there. What of course failed. If I would have known, I would have removed the SDcard and unplugged the disk before the upgrade.

Just did a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ... which installed the upgrade from 5.25 to 5.26 and ... the system is dead again. :-( This is really sad. My setup is still the same: system sits on NAND, SATA HDD and SDcard are/were mounted.

No error messages or warnings during the process:

Setting up linux-headers-sun7i (5.26) ...
Compiling headers - please wait ...
Setting up linux-image-sun7i (5.26) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.4.113-sun7i
update-initramfs: Converting to u-boot format

Back to the beginning, another NAND-install from SD-card.

33 minutes ago, EtlARM said:

Could anybody give a hint where to find the script that is executed during kernel upgrade?

Than we could start some high level debugging.

Scripts are inside (kernel,u-boot, headers, ...) deb package(s).