nand-sata-install fails - Unable to use the USB drive as root

sol_illadan

Question

Hi,

I had downloaded the image for my Hummingboard i2ex & tried to move my root FS to a USB drive. It did not throw any errors, but, on verifying the mount & boot.cmd file, it did not get migrated. The root still shows mounted from the SD Card.

Can anyone help me in resolving this issue ?

Here is my device details after reboot.

root@cubox-i:~# lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0    1 14.6G  0 disk 
└─sda1        8:1    1 14.6G  0 part 
mmcblk0     179:0    0 14.9G  0 disk 
└─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0 14.6G  0 part /
root@cubox-i:~# blkid
/dev/mmcblk0p1: UUID="77646057-ce1f-426f-b09b-d2e6f03f3d52" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="fc0e1b7e-01"
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="fc0e1b7e" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda1: UUID="e4dfdc67-2bb4-4d77-b403-b38c77cc89f0" TYPE="ext4"
root@cubox-i:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           201M  4.7M  196M   3% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p1   15G  1.1G   14G   8% /
tmpfs           502M     0  502M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           502M     0  502M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           502M     0  502M   0% /tmp
log2ram          50M  812K   50M   2% /var/log
tmpfs           101M     0  101M   0% /run/user/0
root@cubox-i:~# cat /etc/fstab
UUID=77646057-ce1f-426f-b09b-d2e6f03f3d52 / ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro 0 1
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,nosuid 0 0
/var/swap none swap sw 0 0

Also, I want to attach another USB Hard Disk along with the main USB drive(the one to be using as root) which I will use as removable file storage; How can I add it without making it sda1 accidentally on boot.

19 answers to this question

+1 Same for me with hummingboard i2ex. Tried the

nand-sata-install

command to get rootfs on my attached msata ssd. Seemed to work but after reboot, root shows still on sd card.

Here in documentation: https://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Freescale-imx6/#cubox-and-hummingboard-boards it says in both legacy and vanilla versions:

• mSATA / m2 operational (Hummingboard Pro & Edge)

Vanilla is mainline, righ? I'm about to reactivate my Hummingboard i2ex as a homeserver. I noticed that solidrun did some rebranding, I guess it's called Hummingboard Pro now.

37 minutes ago, trohn_javolta said:

Could I set up my system on the sd card and later after the update execute the command to move existing config to ssd?

It makes a copy (rsync) of your SD card but in case your boot media remain SD card and your root has been transferred to SATA drive, than some tiny change is done to boot scripts which remains on SD card.

If you are not skilled, rather wait for image update / rebuild. The problem is, that boot scripts, which are problematic in this case, are not part of update packages ... yet.

Thanks for the info.:)

Can a list of steps be provided which I can use to update the /boot files manually to use the rootFS to USB drive ?

Also, is it possible to add the usb drive by UUID/GUID instead of /dev/sda1? I plan to move the root to a mini-drive & attach another USB HDD as storage.

Even though the 2nd drive will not be connected to the device at all times, will the device assignments not change when I reconnect? - when I worked with Rpi, i was told that could happen, so i always use UUID/GUID mapping for my root drive.:huh:

Sry to revive this again: Is there a way we can switch to msata ssd by ouselves that's "future proof"? 

I remember like 2 years ago, I also did this. Copied stuff over with dd and edited a uenv.txt on the sd card. Rootfs=/dev/sda I think.

It's too long ago.. But I think after an update of uboot I had the problem that the system didn't boot anymore.

Problem is that it still boots from sd card, I think but also boot from msata ssd wasn't possible back then if I remember right.

That new install script would come with apt-get upgrade? Is there some schedule when you push a new armbian version?

I'm hoping for a little performance boost, maybe also faster copying via samba.. What transfer speed should be possible, practically? I read the "gigabit" ethernet isn't really gigabit, cause it shares bandwith.

I barely get 30 Mb/s.

- our nand-sata-install utility can switch your OS to mSATA or whatever but boot remains on SD card.

- boot directly from mSATA ssd is theoretical / advanced function. We don't support it.

5 hours ago, trohn_javolta said:

Is there some schedule when you push a new armbian version?

https://www.armbian.com Hard to miss.

5 hours ago, trohn_javolta said:

I read the "gigabit" ethernet isn't really gigabit, cause it shares bandwith.

Those are hardware limitations. To determine what should be max. speed, search here and around. I don't recall doing any tests.

Omg, the day count isn't starting from the last update?? Like next update 42 days from today?

Isn't there a way to get this script working again without compiling and rebuilding my own image?

On 1.3.2017 at 9:45 PM, Igor said:

that boot scripts, which are problematic in this case, are not part of update packages

Or will this maybe change in the near future?

Yes, we have 2-3 month upgrade cycle with a reason. Rebuilding & updating images on so many boards is expensive process in every possible way and majority of costs are on a small crew. Fastest way to resolve the problem is to fix it on your own and make a contribution as a patch to the build system, make a general donation to helps us stay on the project at all, ask if we need some help, ... 

Than switch to beta automated daily build any you are updated ... but beta builds are not tested and comes with no warranty or support. If you are fine with this, switch to beta.

Change apt to beta in 

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list

and run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

18 hours ago, Igor said:

es, we have 2-3 month upgrade cycle with a reason. Rebuilding & updating images on so many boards is expensive process in every possible way and majority of costs are on a small crew. Fastest way to resolve the problem is to fix it on your own and make a contribution as a patch to the build system, make a general donation to helps us stay on the project at all, ask if we need some help, ... 

Than switch to beta automated daily build any you are updated ... but beta builds are not tested and comes with no warranty or support. If you are fine with this, switch to beta.

Change apt to beta in 

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list

and run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

You are absolutely right, I'm using armbian for a few month now and it's working great, without any flaw. In fact it turned my since last year unused hummingboard wanna be kodi SBC into a great home server. I made peace that it will never be a device with kodi and a full linux os. Cheap china boxes with Amlogic SoC + LibreElec are great as a kodi player.

I guess it's save to say that armbian is a great distribution, so I donated now.

Is switching back from beta a bad idea?

First I will make a backup for sure (^^haven't made one yet.. I want to automate that using rsnapshot later)

My idea would be to switch to beta, run nand-sata-install script and if the conversion is successful I would switch back to stable source.

The relevant files you need to update on your sdcard (before running nand-sata-install) are /usr/lib/nand-sata-install/nand-sata-install.sh and and /boot/boot.cmd and are working on my i4Pro with esata drive.

They can both be found in current git master tree (https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/scripts/nand-sata-install/usr/lib/nand-sata-install/nand-sata-install.sh and https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/config/bootscripts/boot-cubox.cmd)

On 11.4.2017 at 7:40 PM, pfoo said:

The relevant files you need to update on your sdcard (before running nand-sata-install) are /usr/lib/nand-sata-install/nand-sata-install.sh and and /boot/boot.cmd and are working on my i4Pro with esata drive.

They can both be found in current git master tree (https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/scripts/nand-sata-install/usr/lib/nand-sata-install/nand-sata-install.sh and https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/config/bootscripts/boot-cubox.cmd)

Thx but not working.

I get "syntaxerror at unexpected word 'newline, line 7 '<!DOCTYPE html>"

Nevermind, I made a mistake. Thx for the help!