Missing modules.dep.bin file (Debian 7.9, kernel 4.1.6-sunxi)

drscheme

I am on Debian 7.9, kernel 4.1.6-sunxi. Since a couple of days I get an error message when I want to open a LUKS container (e.g. cryptsetup luksOpen ...).

/dev/mapper/control: open failed: Kein passendes Gerät gefunden --> no device found
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
Kann die Gerätezuordnung nicht initialisieren. Ist das Kernelmodul dm_mod geladen? --> is dm_mod really loaded?

I tried to manually load dm_mod and get another error message:

> modprobe dm_modlibkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:554 kmod_search_moddep: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.1.6-sunxi/modules.dep.bin'

This one is a little more helpful...

When I navigate to /lib/modules/ I won't find the 4.1.6-sunxi directory but a 4.2.3-sunxi directory (which contains the missing file). This is a little odd, as I am on the 4.1.6 kernel, right...? So what is the correct way of solving this issue? I read that you might use depmod to recreate the missing structures in that missing directory but when I try to invoke depmod there is - of cause - another error:

ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/4.1.6-sunxi: No such file or directory
FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory

I guess other people here came across this problem in the last couple of weeks as well (though I didn't find a post here) ... Any suggestions are welcome...

Regards!

Unfortunately is is not so easy to solve ;) I rebooted several times since that problem occurred... 

OK, have you done any extraordinary modifications and can you post a content of a boot directory and a boot.cmd

I think I did not do anything 'extraordinary'. I installed the CubieTruck using your image and moved the system to a SATA harddrive using the script you provide some weeks ago. The last couple of days I only upgraded some packages and installed a new piece of software (some python wrappers for Spotify) from a non-standard repository. But I do not think that this is the reason for my problem...

In my /boot directory I find the following files and directories:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Okt 18 11:27 bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  115484 Okt 11 14:12 config-4.2.3-sunxi
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   12288 Okt 18 11:25 dtb
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Sep 30 21:21 dtb.old
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1955569 Okt 11 14:12 System.map-4.2.3-sunxi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5468416 Okt 11 14:12 vmlinuz-4.2.3-sunxi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      25 Okt 18 11:27 zImage -> /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.3-sunxi

Oddly there's also files for the 4.2.3-kernel... The content of /media/mmc/boot/boot.cmd is the following:

setenv bootargs console=tty1 root=/dev/sda1 rootwait rootfstype=ext4 sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_no_mali_mem_reserve sunxi_fb_mem_reserve=16 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 disp.screen0_output_mode=1920x1080p60 panic=10 consoleblank=0 enforcing=0 loglevel=1
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Boot loader script to boot with different boot methods for old and new kernel
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if ext4load mmc 0 0x00000000 /boot/.next || fatload mmc 0 0x00000000 .next
then
# sunxi mainline kernel
ext4load mmc 0 0x49000000 /boot/dtb/${fdtfile} || fatload mmc 0 0x49000000 /dtb/${fdtfile}
ext4load mmc 0 0x46000000 /boot/zImage || fatload mmc 0 0x46000000 zImage
env set fdt_high ffffffff
bootz 0x46000000 - 0x49000000
else
# sunxi android kernel
ext4load mmc 0 0x43000000 /boot/script.bin || fatload mmc 0 0x43000000 script.bin
ext4load mmc 0 0x48000000 /boot/zImage || fatload mmc 0 0x48000000 zImage
bootz 0x48000000
fi
# Recompile with:
# mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr #

I did not modify any of these files manually.

It seems like apt updated some parts of the system to 4.2.x kernel but did not install the kernel itself. Now I remember that the automatic updater sends error reports via mail since a couple of days:

/etc/cron.daily/apt:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 1016, in <module>
   main(options)
 File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 798, in main
   allowed_origins=allowed_origins)
 File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 75, in __init__
   self.adjust_candidate_versions()
 File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 92, in adjust_candidate_versions
   if is_allowed_origin(pkg.candidate, self.allowed_origins):
 File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 364, in is_allowed_origin
   if match_whitelist_string(allowed, origin):
 File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 272, in match_whitelist_string
   what, token))
__main__.UnknownMatcherError: Unknown whitelist entry for macher 'n' (token 'n=wheezy')

Maybe that was the cause for this problem. But what caused apt to fail? Interestingly, manual updates work just fine.

The only problem regarding updating (that I am aware) was a week or two ago when one of servers crashed. But that's a network issue.

/boot must be a bind mount to SD card's /boot

Boot loader and a kernel are loaded from SD, the rest is from hard drive. Check /boot on the SD if it's the same.

Oh boy, ... I accidentally commented out the line that mounts /media/mmc/boot to /boot. So apt updated /boot on the harddrive (not on the mmc) and several other locations on the harddrive, like the modules directory.

After the reboot, I still had the old kernel/settings but on the harddrive everything was updated to match the new kernel... That won't work, of cause.

So I moved the new kernel and settings from /boot to /media/mmc/boot and everything is back to normal. 

Thanks for you help, Igor!