Orange Pi Zero serial console not working

Blars

On my new orange pi zero I hooked a pl2303 usb converter to the three serial pins and use "screen /dev/ttyUSB4 115200" to connect.  This gives garbage on boot, with occasional strings of meaningful info like "Orange Pi" or "Debian".  Same converter worked fine on my Raspberry Pi Zero.  I'm suspecting the Orange Pi is just too fast and either the pl2303 or my Debian system can't keep up.  Does anyone have the serial console working?  Should I try a cp2102 instead, or maybe reconfigure to a slower speed?

When I configured a DHCP server and hooked it up via ethernet, I can get in fine.

Armbian 5.25 jessie, 3.4.113 kernel.  64GB sandisk Ultra plus uSD card, power from 3 amp DC-DC via 20cm cable to 13-pin connector.  I'd use bigger cable for power but 4/0 doesn't fit in 2.54mm pins.

I use a couple of pl2303 and cp2102 all the time with 115200 baud settings. Sometimes garbage happens but then it's just disconnecting/re-connecting the adapter. And sometimes I've more than one screen/minicom instance running and then also garbage will be shown.