Cubietruck Nand install

mrfloppy

Where can i find nand-sata-install in the Image?

i have downloaded the Image: Armbian_5.25_Cubietruck_Debian_jessie_next_4.9.7.img

Put on an SD Card and boot.

and then?

I can´t find the nand-sata-install under /root/

And i want to put out the SD after Install and boot from Nand and SSD.

THX

Today I tried to install Armbian Jessie Server 5.25 from SD to nand on a Cubietruck (Legacy 3.4.113 kernel).

The system does not boot from nand, since /dev/nand1 can not be mounted.

This seems to be caused by an error in line 288 of /usr/lib/nand-sata-install/nand-sata-install.sh :

mkfs.vfat -qF /dev/nand1 >> $logfile 2>&1

The option "-qF" is meaningful after mkfs.ext4 but should be deleted after mkfs.vfat . 

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Today I tried to install Armbian Jessie Server 5.25 from SD to nand on a Cubietruck (Legacy 3.4.113 kernel).

The system does not boot from nand, since /dev/nand1 can not be mounted.

This seems to be caused by an error in line 288 of /usr/lib/nand-sata-install/nand-sata-install.sh :

The option "-qF" is meaningful after mkfs.ext4 but should be deleted after mkfs.vfat . 

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Thank you.

We fixed this problem - but after the release. We will try to push some bug fix update ASAP.

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/commit/282e530d02f78e61faf6a5475a08cec0ee81d485

1 minute ago, pille said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but although I changed the script and nand1 is written now, it won't boot from nand. It is just sitting there with the power led on. No video output or led activity.

You tried this ?

To flash ct-lubuntu-server-nand-v2.0.img did not solve the problem in my case:

The system did boot lubuntu from nand afterwards.  I then booted from SD and started the nand-sata-install script.

After a roboot i ended up with no video output or LED activity just as described by pille above.

A workaround in my case was to comment out "formatnand" in line 462 of the nand-sata-install script, re-run the script and after a reboot (without SD) the system did boot from nand as expected! (This would imply that there is still an error in the function formatnand )

9 hours ago, lupus said:

This would imply that there is still an error in the function formatnand

Yes, this error is present in images while in self build images is fixed.

I can't even flash that image. Neither with the LiveSuit nor with dd. Commenting out formatnand doesn't help either. I can see it being written on the nand when I mount the devices, but it does not boot. But that shouldn't be your problem. It is the manufacturers problem for the inconsistent information. Now I will try to create my own image. Maybe I have more luck with that.

I just tested installation to NAND on my Cubeitruck by using latest self build image. Working out of the box.

You can't DD Livesuite image ... You have to burn it with Livesuite image. No other way. Check this how-to. Consider possibility that NAND is simply broken ...

I think that LiveSuit for Mac is crap. I used a Windows PC and I could flash the Android image.  Then it booted from nand. I set up an Ubuntu VM and created the Armbian image from your repo. Nice so far. Had no problems. Then I put the image on a sd card and it booted. I startet the nand-sata-install script, waited for it to complete, removed the sd card and powered back up. Black screen, nothing happens. I'll try the lubuntu way next.

On 26.2.2017 at 3:49 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

Mainline kernel and u-boot doesn't support NAND officially, so you won't be able to use NAND even for u-boot with this image

So, but there's an unofficial way to do it?

Background: I just upgraded / switched my 'old' Debian Jessie from 3.4.113 to 4.9.12. Though I run the OS from SD I'm used to regularly sync/ backup the system to /dev/nand2 (and copy new kernel to nand1 if needed).

With that I like the flexibility to keep the down time low while I'm e.g. picking up the SD for an 'off-site' backup.

1 minute ago, odoll said:

So, but there's an unofficial way to do it?

It's easier to find another backup target. Until MLC NAND support lands in mainline kernel there will be no reliable way to use NAND. And also please note that old low level storage format will not be compatible with the new one, so if you have any valuable data stored there, you'll have to boot the legacy based image to access it.

Yes, you might be right - maybe I'm gonna just 'freeze' the system in NAND and carry on backing up the SD to an image onto the SATA attached. In that case I could still boot into the 'old' NAND based OS and restore the image, if needed ...

Hello!

Now it seems to work. Had to flash Android. Over that I had to flash the ct-lubuntu image and then the nand-sata-install succeeded. After wards I had to repair the file system. I installed twice and had both times a corrupt filesystem. But now it works.

I wanted to reinstall legacy version with PhoenixUSBPro_V4.0.0. I did that last year successfully but now the current version Armbian_5.25_Cubietruck_Debian_jessie_default_3.4.113.img is not recognized by USBPro. What I am doing wrong?

On 1.3.2017 at 3:51 PM, odoll said:

maybe I'm gonna just 'freeze' the system in NAND and carry on backing up the SD to an image onto the SATA attached.

dunno if this is the right place to post it, but in the meantime I/n00b adopted some sh commands and created a little script which rsyncs my running SD config into a mounted (dd) image of the same, which lies on the attached (SATA) HDD. Maybe it's of use for sb else.

#!/bin/bash

### The script's intend is to make an update of the running SDcard system
### into the partition of a backup of the SDcard's image sitting on the
### attached HDD, rather having to "dd" the SDcard over and over again.

IMG=/mnt/ssd/sd_backup.img
DEV=/dev/mapper/loop0p1
DEV2=/dev/dm-0
MNT=/mnt/sd_image

clear_console
figlet -f banner " warning"
echo "
  This script will backup the running system /
  to the mapped partition $DEV
  in $IMG.

"

if [ $(id -u) != "0" ] # Check if user is root
then
  echo "Error: You must be root to run this script."
elif [ ! -e "$IMG" ] # Check if backup image is present
then
  echo "Error: Backup image $IMG not present!"
else
  # Mapp the images' internal partitions to loop devices
  kpartx -a $IMG
  if [ ! -e "$DEV2" ] # Check if partition is mapped
  then
    echo "Error: Partition isn't mapped to $DEV!"
  else
    echo
    echo -n "Proceed (y/n)? (default: y): "
    read answer
    if [ "$answer" == "" ] || [ "$answer" = "y" ]
    then
      # check the FS and mount it
      fsck $DEV
      mount $DEV $MNT

# Define exclude list for rsync
      cat > .exclude <<EOF
/dev/*
/proc/*
/sys/*
/media/*
/mnt/*
/run/*
/tmp/*
EOF

echo "
Starting rsync ..."
      rsync -avH --exclude-from=.exclude --delete-before /  $MNT

# Remove exclude list, unmount the device and do another FS check
      rm .exclude
      umount $MNT
      fsck $DEV

figlet -f banner " success"
    fi
    # unmapp image's loop devices
    kpartx -d $IMG
  fi
fi

I'm trying to do a nand install as well and can't seem to get it to boot. I've tried installing Android and then Lubuntu server 2.0 and then running the nand-sata script and still not working. I also tried with ct-lubuntu-server-20131026/. I also changed the script line 

to 

mkfs.vfat -F /dev/nand1 >> $logfile 2>&1

I've noticed I sometimes get this error when launching the script as well. I've no idea how to fix the mbr on the nand so any help appreciated.

11 hours ago, Amit Feldman said:

Not working for me either (cubietruck), got ct-lubuntu-server-nand-v2.0 on the nand and then I was only able to select boot from SD and system on SATA, other options were not displayed.

Anyone got it working?

NAND install works only on legacy kernel versions.

We don't think to push this experimental feature into the kernel, but you can try on your own. Patches are here:

https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/kernel/sunxi-dev, but disabled and perhaps they need some adjustments. BTW. current 4.12. dev kernel is broken upstream for Allwinner boards which bring some more troubles to start.