Lime2 EMMC: is possible upgrade from olimex distribution to armbian Mainline debian Jessie ?

sovking

Hi guys!

I've an Olimex LIME2 EMMC installed in a remote location: I installed it with Olimex provided image of debian Jessie, which has kernel 3.4.103-00033-g9a1cd03-dirty.

The installation has been done over internal EMMC and it worked.

Now, for various reason I would like to switch to armbian.

I would like to install armbian over the existing image. so not to have to reinstall packages ad my local software.

I would like to keep the installation on internal 4GB EMMC memory.

I'm asking if it's possibile to do it without having to reinstall and possibily over ssh, because the board is in remote location.

Thanks for your suggestions.

It's possible and it should go but such job is not recommended without access to console. 

You need to:

- add repository and key (apt.armbian.com)

- install kernel, dtb and u-boot package

- manually: download boot.cmd and convert it to boot.scr

If something goes wrong, if I forgot to bring up some small but important detail ...

Thanks!.I'll take care that " such job is not recommended without access to console".

Another question,according your esperience, it's worth continue using EMMC only ?

Or I could put a good micro-SD (Samsung Evo or Sandisk Extreme) on Lime2, with a fresh installed system, leaving on EMMC my scripts, and maybe logs and collected data ? (in this case, I also can leave EMMC untouched in case something does not work / goes wrong).

48 minutes ago, sovking said:

Another question,according your esperience, it's worth continue using EMMC only ?

In most cases eMMC is (much) faster than SD card. but can't tell for this particular case. You should compare it this way and you will see.

"eMMC only" should be just fine .... just have some offsite backup of data & install of your scripts, that you can replace it quickly in case of some rear, but possible failure.