Working Build environment

dhlii

Just for information purposes. 

I was able to build from, 5.27 for an OrangePiLite complete image, debian Jesse, console server 

On

Debian GNU/Linux 9 \n \l
Linux dv7-dhlii 4.9.0-11-exton #12 SMP Sat Dec 17 10:10:47 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is the first time I have been able to successfully build Armbian on my base machine - rather than in a Virtual machine, or container. 

I am generally able to build whatever Armbian I want in an Ubuntu 16.04 Virtual Machine - though I dislike running linux virtual machines under Linux

I have generally been about to build Armbian in and Ubuntu 16.04 LXC Container so long as I do not try to create a disk image - that was typically failing under Armbian 5.24

I have not yet tried 5.27. 

I am happy that for the moment I seem to be able to build Armbian on my base Debian Stretch install

Thank You

Just a hint: building inside virtual machine is recommended for security reasons since script runs with superuser rights. In case of some nasty bug (ours or from external sources), your host machine can be wiped or crippled. If dedicated virtual machine is wiped is usually not a big issue.

Running Linux under Linux is quite power full. I example have a 8-core, 32GB RAM machine which I use to run libvirt/QEMU on local SDD hard drives.
At work I use Oracle VirtualBox under MacOS and libvirt/QEMU under Linux Desktop, its so easy to mess up your desktop just be installing some garbage and there is not real uninstall on Linux environments.

Just create a clean installation and snapshot it then revert as needed for clean installations.

Performance is not the best on desktop installation as the desktop itself takes quite a lot of resources and the virtual filesystem is really slow.

Wise advice - that we all should follow. 

I would never have ten different console sessions concurrently opened in my current user session. 

My preference would be to build inside of an LXC/LXD container, as this does not waste resources.  

I use real virtual machines primarily to run windows under Linux. 

Running a linux virtual machine in linux incurs a system wide performance hit. 

Regardless, thanks for the improvements, 

Hopefully building will work within LXC when I try that. 

Previously I was able to do everything except properly create a disk image - some of the loop device functionality was not quite perfect in LXC/LXD

I am familiar with Qemm and VirtualBox and VMplayer and ....

They each have great value for specific tasks. 

They are not the approriate tool for every problem and they come with significant requirements. 

My latop is maxed out at 16GB, and I am unlikely to change that soon as newer laptops for all they offer have sacrificed features I want or need. 

Real virtualization is expensive in terms of resources. 

If the objective is compartmentalization chroot and LXC/LXD do that quite well And possibly docker which I am less familiar with. . 

And they do so at near zero additional resource cost. 

Hi Igor & Others,

I'm trying to setup an Armbian build environment. My host OS is Debian 8 (jessie) x86_64. I can create only LXC containers (ie. virtual boxes). I created a Debian 8 (jessie) x86_64 container and therein I started "compile.sh", but it aborted with the following output:

"...

Setting up lsb-release (4.1+Debian13+nmu1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...
[ o.k. ] Build host OS release [ jessie ]
[ error ] ERROR in function prepare_host [ general.sh:552 ]
[ error ] It seems you ignore documentation and run an unsupported build system: jessie 
[ o.k. ] Process terminated 
"

So, it seems I need to install an Ubuntu version, right?

Is it the "Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 x64" version as per online documentation, or rather a different one, because in the general.sh the following comment is written:

# Ubuntu Xenial x86_64 is the only fully supported host OS release
        # Ubuntu Bionic x86_64 support is WIP, especially for building full images and additional packages

Thx

Edited by mutluit

2 hours ago, mutluit said:

Is it the "Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 x64" version as per online documentation, or rather a different one, because in the general.sh the following comment is written:

# Ubuntu Xenial x86_64 is the only fully supported host OS release
        # Ubuntu Bionic x86_64 support is WIP, especially for building full images and additional packages

It seems that this comment is already deprecated ... Bionic is now the one to use ...