Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 available

tkaiser

On 21.12.2016 at 1:54 PM, tkaiser said:

Yes, this new version will most probably target the market for NanoPi Air now. Equipped with H5, eMMC, AP6212 (WiFi/BT -- same as on NanoPi Air), 512 MB DRAM and Xunlong's 24 pin camera connector.

Funnily with Zero Plus 2 a silent downgrade to H3 happened (I would assume that's related to Xunlong's software guy Buddy not being able to resolve voltage regulation issues with Allwinner's BSP and H5): http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/03/17/18-9-orange-pi-zero-plus-2-board-allwinner-h3-wifi-bluetooth-le-hdmi-and-8gb-emmc-flash/

IR is already on the 13-pin header I thought? I vote for S/PDIF and usb1 data lines! But don't really care at all...

BTW: Do we want to support the board? If no objections within 24 hours then I hack the stuff together on the weekend and send a commit. IMO it's not that much more support efforts since all components are already well known. And while the board seems pretty similar to NanoPi Air it serves different use cases I would assume (an OPi Lite with BT and eMMC -- people seem to order the $2 Dock with USB receptacles and the other connectors like crazy)

1 minute ago, tkaiser said:

IR is already on the 13-pin header I thought? I vote for S/PDIF and usb1 data lines!

The holes look more elliptical than circular (like on SoPine), and at least on SoPine standard 2.54mm connectors with ~0.7mm square pins won't fit there. But pins on popular IR receivers are usually flattened and will fit in the holes like these without any problems.

6 minutes ago, tkaiser said:

BTW: Do we want to support the board?

I would prefer to wait for the schematic release just to be sure (assuming nobody here will get a sample board)

Yes please! I love my A20 / H3 SBCs despite their various quirks - them being so hackable is very handy (having schematics + datasheets; OrangePi even do a decent job on the silkscreen which is a lifesaver)and Armbian has long been the only serious game in town for Allwinner boards IMO.

Will be nice to have a couple in the drawer with a BLE capable radio and EMMC.   (C.H.I.P has both but ended up being a bit disappointing for me in practice; esp for I/O's - some via i2c expander and not even an unused UART; meh).  They're all good SOCs to hack on IMO (I'm sure I can even find a use for my Wifi-impaired PiZero's) ; the Allwinner datasheets are just about good enough to make it fun :-)

Thanks! Hugely appreciate your work.

DrTune

On 17.3.2017 at 6:10 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

I would prefer to wait for the schematic release just to be sure

Well, I'll started with what we have already in Xunlong's repo: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/commit/2f9e9e6feae3cc3037a52ba0be8295761cb1f586

BTW: I detected a potential collision: PA10 is routed to pin 26 of the GPIO header on normal Zero but according to Xunlong's sys_config.fex now used for BT. We'll see.

@Igordo you know whether Steven ships out dev samples? I would accept one as the last board adding to my collection for the next 3 months. Doing some test with the NAS Expansion board and regular Zero (XR819) would be great too. So maybe if you're talking to him next time you can ask whether he would ship out the three items?

Yes, please enrich this SBC :-) 

I can see two advantages. First, that dedicated camera for this Orange is about half price than camera dedicated for Nano Pi Neo, so making project with this SBC and camera will be more advantageous.

Second - EMMC, what is - if I correctly understand all I have red - more durable than uSD. For example in my project there is relatively frequent switching on and off (a car installation - works only when car goes) and I'm afraid how long it will work before uSD die or Linux break up... a battery connection would be useful (a wish only).

And more of it - it is cheaper than NanoPi Neo Air (don't know how does it translate into performance).

8 hours ago, msev said:

you guys are anticipating good results out of this WIFI+BLE module? Better than OPI Lite?

Why should we? I consider all these single antenna 2.4GHz Wi-Fi implementations crap, they perform more or less the same and environment matters way more than the chip used: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3739-wi-fi-performance-and-known-issues-on-sbc/&do=findComment&comment=27158

AP6212 has BT though so if you can make use of it...

4 hours ago, abramq said:

EMMC, what is - if I correctly understand all I have red - more durable than uSD.

Why should it? Well, there are some stubborn parrots active on the net constantly yelling stuff they don't even understand ('SD card bad, NAND good!') but reality looks different as usual. Most eMMC show way better random IO performance than the average SD card but the cheap eMMC chips especially with low capacity will be easily outperformed by good SD cards if it's about sequential transfer speeds (KLMxGxxEPD-B031 as used by FriendlyELEC on their NanoPi is rated for only 7MB/s (8 GB) or 12 MB/s (16 GB) sequential write speeds, the 7MB/s are personally confirmed by me and SinoVoip folks use even slower 8GB eMMC modules on their most recent boards).

The good news: If we can trust the Aliexpress pictures for Zero Plus 2 then it's the same 8GB eMMC as used on OPi PC Plus and this is rather fast (but who knows... Xunlong might change that later since most users pay no attention to those details)

Regarding longevity: No idea, I don't know of any serious tests regarding this. But it's easy to imagine what's necessary when eMMC breaks compared to SD card. BGA soldering vs. simple exchange. Also your 'use case' of powering off the device without sane shutdown is not related to the physical layer since you will suffer from filesystem corruption. FriendlyELEC has something like a 'NEO power dock' with the ability to provide battery (backup) power -- no idea how that works but you might want to check this first.

Regarding camera: the difference between 2MP and 5MP should be obvious, same with the 'you get what you pay for' principle and I would check software support first.

On 17.03.2017 at 3:56 PM, tkaiser said:

Funnily with Zero Plus 2 a silent downgrade to H3 happened (I would assume that's related to Xunlong's software guy Buddy not being able to resolve voltage regulation issues with Allwinner's BSP and H5): http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/03/17/18-9-orange-pi-zero-plus-2-board-allwinner-h3-wifi-bluetooth-le-hdmi-and-8gb-emmc-flash/

There is H5 in recently released nanoPi NEO 2 - I wonder if they worked out a solution for the problem of you are writing.

6 minutes ago, abramq said:

There is H5 in recently released nanoPi NEO 2 - I wonder if they worked out a solution for the problem of you are writing.

Nope, on this board FriendlyELEC chose for whatever reasons to disable voltage regulation at all which limits NEO 2 to run with 1GHz max (not a problem IMO). The other announced H5 boards from FE will have voltage switching capabilities again but they admit 'software is not ready yet' (which clearly applies to BSP/legacy kernel we won't touch since mainline kernel happily switches voltages even on H5). All new devices with major differences covered already here: 

2 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

WTF?

Ahem, yes. I agree. I've to admit that I've not decided whether the same name for both boards is just worse or the H5 variant now being called 'Zero Plus Ultra 2' could even be worse. At least the whole naming scheme is already f*cked up to the max :) 

17 hours ago, tkaiser said:

At least the whole naming scheme is already f*cked up to the max

^__^

Is like Windows naming Ultimate, Pro XP, ...

You can't imaging how disastrous is reading the Xunlongs Aliexpress page automatically translated to Spanish!!! is all about fruits and human body parts (ARM)

19 hours ago, tkaiser said:

Ahem, yes. I agree. I've to admit that I've not decided whether the same name for both boards is just worse or the H5 variant now being called 'Zero Plus Ultra 2' could even be worse. At least the whole naming scheme is already f*cked up to the max :) 

That's it! Product names should give customer knowledge about products line (eventually a "knowledge" he to buy more expensive model). Naming from Xunlongs gives only one - mess and confusion :-)

On 22. 3. 2017 at 6:46 PM, tkaiser said:

Why should we? I consider all these single antenna 2.4GHz Wi-Fi implementations crap, they perform more or less the same and environment matters way more than the chip used: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/3739-wi-fi-performance-and-known-issues-on-sbc/&do=findComment&comment=27158

AP6212 has BT though so if you can make use of it...

But isn't the Pi Zero's wifi module even crappier because of the limited bandwidth, while these modules should have more bandwidth?

as for Armbian builds, the OPI liteimage Armbian_5.25_Orangepilite_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113_desktop

boots and is working fine, no wi-fi or bluetooth working, cpu temps are showing 33, have dug around it yet, maybe later i will just what needs to be done 

I ASSUME (and you how it is) that the pins would be the same as the zero v1 as the expansion board for the zero v 1 works fine on the ZERO plus..I say works as I have been using the zero plus with the board.

Schematic available here: http://linux-sunxi.org/File:ORANGE_PI-ZERO-PLUS2_V1_0.pdf

The board arrived 2 hours ago, I fixed some small things in the build system and confirmed that fex settings were mostly correct. Still not working: Wi-Fi/BT. I won't look into since focussing on different areas the next days/weeks but now that schematics are available it should be easy to fix this (according to logs it's just powering up the AP6212 not working).

Once Wi-Fi/BT is known to work it should also be easy to add DT patch for both H3 and H5 mainline variants.

I got the wifi working on the zero plus under Debian jessie (no gui just CLI), did not test the BT, I will see if I can figure out what we did to get it working. I ASSUME that it would about the same process to get working under a Armain build

It was a pain...