linux-tool for the 4.10 images?

I am trying to install perf on armbian. It happens that perf is dependent on the kernel release (see /usr/bin/perf, a shell script).

I use kernel 4.10.0-sun8i, but the linux-tools installed are apparently for kernel 3.16:

# uname -r
4.10.0-sun8i
# apt-get install linux-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libdw1 libperl5.20 libpython2.7 linux-tools-3.16
Suggested packages:
  linux-doc-3.16
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libdw1 libperl5.20 libpython2.7 linux-tools linux-tools-3.16
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
[...]
# /usr/bin/perf
/usr/bin/perf: line 24: exec: perf_4.10: not found
E: linux-tools-4.10 is not installed.

Is a linux-tools package available for kernel 4.10?

Thanks.

Pascal.

I've run in to the same problem, and I've not yet been able to get perf running on any of my boards. I was thinking of pulling the sources and compiling it locally. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has already solved the problem!

Edit: I had a go at compiling perf for the NanoPi M3 this evening. I realised I already had the source included in the download for the kernel, in tools/perf. Cross compiling seemed to get bogged down with dependencies, so I ended up copying the entire linux source tree to the M3 and compiling perf there. cd into the tools/perf directory and type make. I still ran into several dependency issues (lex, yacc, bison and others), but I just installed them one by one and tried again. I couldn't find python-config so I ignored that - it doesn't seem to be needed for core functionality. sudo make DESTDIR=/usr install annoyingly recompiles everything again, but I ended up with a working perf command. There's also a 'make install-man' target, but it has a dependency on asciidoc, and trying to install that has sent apt into a frenzy of downloading a couple of Gigs of stuff!

Still, it's nice to have a working perf, even if not all the stats I'm used to on x86 are available.