no space in /armbian/output/cache/

I have problem with low space during building orange pi zero image

( even there free space about 50GB on both root and secondary drive ).

I happens at the end of image creating when batch customize-image.sh started.

Do you know where is variable responsible for 1.5GB big /armbian/output/cache/ ?

Thanks.

Do you mean no space on the rootfs when you are installing additional packages in customize-image.sh?

Build process uses tmpfs for the rootfs to improve performance on HDDs and reduce writes on SSDs, and tmpfs size is automatically set to 2/3 of total RAM size.

You can disable it by adding FORCE_USE_RAMDISK=no to the build options.

1 hour ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Do you mean no space on the rootfs when you are installing additional packages in customize-image.sh?

yes

Build process uses tmpfs for the rootfs to improve performance on HDDs and reduce writes on SSDs

good idea

tmpfs size is automatically set to 2/3 of total RAM size

Nope, it is 1.5GB with 8GB or 16GB of system RAM configuration on my Virtualbox machine. I cut one line from "debootstrap-ng.sh" for you:

if [[ $BUILD_DESKTOP == yes ]]; then local tmpfs_max_size=2500; else local tmpfs_max_size=1500; fi # MiB

I changed both values to 3000 in Virtualbox machine with 16GB RAM and trying another building round. 

6 minutes ago, technik007_cz said:

Nope, it is 1.5GB with 8GB or 16GB of system RAM configuration on my Virtualbox machine. I cut one line from "debootstrap-ng.sh" for you:

if [[ $BUILD_DESKTOP == yes ]]; then local tmpfs_max_size=2500; else local tmpfs_max_size=1500; fi # MiB

I changed both values to 3000 in Virtualbox machine with 16GB RAM and trying another building round. 

Looks like I have to update my comments or update the code :)

This code determines whether tmpfs should be used or not based on amount of available RAM, and changing the code to

[[ $use_tmpfs == yes ]] && mount -t tmpfs -o size=${phymem}M tmpfs $CACHEDIR/$SDCARD

(replacing tmpfs_max_size with phymem) will set it to 2/3 of total RAM size

1 minute ago, technik007_cz said:

Look I watched building process and it needed about 52% of 3000MB tmpfs. So if you want change value 1500 to 2000 it will be ok if you want keep checking BUILD_DESKTOP variable.

I watched it too when I set those values. Maximum space usage happens after the package nstallations but before running apt-get clean. I'll change 1500 to 2000 for the server images (doesn't hurt much, memory is allocated only when it's needed, so it will only disable tmpfs when you have < 3GB RAM).