GPSD deamon won't start properly

Jeffery Hsu

Hi guys, 

I have set my /etc/default /gpsd as following:

# Default settings for the gpsd init script and the hotplug wrapper.

# Start the gpsd daemon automatically at boot time
START_DAEMON="true"

# Use USB hotplugging to add new USB devices automatically to the daemon
USBAUTO="false"

# Devices gpsd should collect to at boot time.
# They need to be read/writeable, either by user gpsd or the group dialout.
DEVICES="/dev/ttyS2"

# Other options you want to pass to gpsd
GPSD_OPTIONS="-n -b"

It starts without any problem when I run "service gpsd start" but always fails to start at boot. The output of its status is as following after booting up:

● gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service; static)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Does anyone know what I should change in order for gpsd to run properly at boot? Thanks!

To see permissions type 'ls -al /dev | grep ttyS2' in a term window.  After thinking about this, I'm not sure if this is contributing to your problem, but I mentioned it since it caused me problems about 10 years ago with gpsd.  In those days there were two things that frequently contributed to startup problems; permissions, and not fully defined paths for executables (scripts on boot don't benefit from your shell environment, so they have to be told the location of executables.  don't assume it's location is obvious or automatic). 

Last time I looked, gpsd logged a lot of information, so look at the log files for clues.  Reboot your system and then look at the gpsd entries in syslog and messages that have a timestamp associated with the reboot.   grep -i gpsd /var/log/syslog and grep -i gpsd /var/log/messages -- there should be entries for gpsd that will help identify the problem.

Hi Tao,

Thanks for your reply. I check the permission type of my ttyS2 and it is "crw-rw---- " which I believe is fine. One interesting I found out was that there was no entries of gpsd in both syslog and messages. Does it indicate that there is problem with gpsd's startup script? Thank!