Is Powering Down a Work-In-Progress?

frottier

When I power down H3-devices I see quite different results.

Normally I use 'sudo poweroff' which should behave like 'shutdown -P'. I guess the command was successfull when the last message on the serial console reads "Power down." This works with Legacy Images.

Power consumption drops significantly. On the NEO and OPi Zero to somewhat 150 mW, NEO Air 250 mW. To my surprise the Orange Pi One drops even to 0 mW.

Question 1: Why is that? Is it different voltage regulators, or are parts of some boards purposefully kept powered on?

Testing Mainline Images things are more simple: I never even reach the "power down"-target, the system just halts. I tried variations of the shutdown command with no success (shutdown -P, -h, now). The SOC keeps drawing close to 1 Watt, which is in most cases more than idle.

Question 2: Is there/will there be a way to power down the board in Mainline?

3 minutes ago, frottier said:

Question 1: Why is that? Is it different voltage regulators, or are parts of some boards purposefully kept powered on?

Different CPU voltage regulators, different powering scheme, possibly different FEX settings so some things are not powered down. And some regulators are not powered down on purpose.

4 minutes ago, frottier said:

Question 2: Is there/will there be a way to power down the board in Mainline?

Legacy kernel uses ARISC core for power management including shutdown and suspend. Mainline doesn't support ARISC core and there is no development done in this direction due to some licensing issues (AFAIK). And without ARISC assisted power management it's hard to implement a reliable shutdown - at least on OPi PC2 my attempts worked for me but resulted in a reboot instead of shutdown for other people.

Hello everyone,

my problem is, that after poweroff or shutdown -h will OrPI take 0,6-0,7A power draw and CPU is getting 60°C - very hot, is'nt it? My thoughts were that this is because of wake on lan is still turned on (led on LAN port is on). Is there any chance to turn it off completely, so there will be (nearly) 0A powerdraw? I don't need wake on lan on any interface - wi-fi or LAN, I don't use it.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, R-Man said:

that after poweroff or shutdown -h will OrPI take 0,6-0,7A power draw and CPU is getting 60°C - very hot, is'nt it?

There is no real PMIC on most of those boards, so CPU is halting, yes, but nothing cuts its power supply ...

You can create an small off-boards pseudo power controller using AVR or STM32 that will shutdown a relay if this small MCU isn't watchdog-ed thru GPIOs or I2C during 60 seconds.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:37 PM, R-Man said:

Hello everyone,

my problem is, that after poweroff or shutdown -h will OrPI take 0,6-0,7A power draw and CPU is getting 60°C - very hot, is'nt it? My thoughts were that this is because of wake on lan is still turned on (led on LAN port is on). Is there any chance to turn it off completely, so there will be (nearly) 0A powerdraw? I don't need wake on lan on any interface - wi-fi or LAN, I don't use it.

Thanks!

That does not happen in my Orange Pi PC with ARMBIAN 5.60 stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 3.4.113-sun8i, after a poweroff it shuts down quite well from 0.34..0.29A to 0.00A (less than 10mA). Only the green LED remains on.

I ran the poweroff command on Orange Pi Zero 1.4 with latest mainline Armbian image and kernel updated etc.

On the OrangePi Zero 1.4 5.75 Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.19.20-sunxi, poweroff should be renamed to ignite-inferno
It got so hot that it burned the OEM label that was stuck to the back of the board. (little white sticker with barcode and Orange Pi Zero 256MB written on it)

Then I found that halt didn't create the same inferno. Curious behavior. I need to do more testing.

I found that my Orange Pi Zero idled at about 80mA, maybe that was with the powersave governor. Normal operation it jumped between 80-350mA. But I really didn't test anything thoroughly.

I recommend getting one of these. Cheap and gives you excellent visibility into what's going on.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charger-Doctor-Current-Voltage-Detector-Battery-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Tester/172274610835

On 10/20/2018 at 1:16 AM, Igor said:

This utility might work.

h3fakeoff.zip

May i know how to use this? Is it
unzip and then run in terminal:
h3fakeoff

Attached is my result:

user@orangepipcplus:~$ sudo chmod +x /home/user/h3fakeoff
user@orangepipcplus:~$ /home/user/h3fakeoff -s
do_it:1, config: 0x00000000
apply_foff: start
arisc boot failed